Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Purple Martin, Bluebird and Tree Swallow nesting site, 1 by Stelco

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Stelco

In reply to: Purple Martin, Bluebird and Tree Swallow nesting site

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Purple Martin, Bluebird and Tree Swallow nesting site
Stelco wrote:
Hi Sheri,

It probably would have been better to donate the Martin house than to leave it for folks who don't care about Martins, but don't let it bother you.

Cornell says that no nest boxes of any kind are accepted by Martins in Arizona and New Mexico! Now, that would give me a challenge! They are still semi-colonial birds, but don't prefer the close nest proximity of the eastern species. How much land do you have? I'd be tempted to find some old, tall, untreated posts, drill some holes in them and put them up. If you didn't get Martins you could probably convince something to move in. I'm sure that you could find something cool looking that would fit with your garden and landscape. Here's the link that I was reading:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/publications/birdscope/Winter20...

The map looks good for your area. Martins are expanding in numbers. It's bad here in Michigan. That's why I started my Website and do what I do. The map is at the bottom.

Here's another statement that I found:
"Martins in Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico nest only in cavities in trees and cacti."

Mark