Bowiea volubilis (Sea Onion)

Does anyone have either of these to trade:
Bowiea volubilis/Sea Onion
'Pink Teeth' mother of thousand
Thanks.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

The Bowiea volubilis seems to be very hard to find. I've been looking for one to.
:) Donna

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

christmascactus,

I dont know what kind of Mother of Thousand i have but i will take a pic of it in a little while...we are getting a very mild hurricane right now and it is outside on my front porch. But I will let you know :o)

Char

Char,hope everything will be ok your way & the storm will pass with no ill effect on anyone. Stay safe.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

CC,

Here is the pic that i said i would take...I am not even sure it is a Mother of Thousands. I got it in a trade and just was watching and loving it grow...Let me know and you are more then welcome to have a slip of it...

Char

Thumbnail by red_princess_71

Thanks,Char.
I have this one.The one I was looking for has pink in or around it's leaves.You would love this,too-since you like pink :)

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Do you mean the Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi cv. Aurora Borealis??

Has white variegation that 'tints' to pink in high light?

I have a small plant...not large enough for cuttings.

There should be some people out there with good sized ones, they grow easily from cuttings.
Maybe try posting the name on the trading forum?

I have the Bowiea, but mine hasn't made any offsets and I believe that's the only way to propagate it.

Mine has recently bloomed....I wonder if it will produce seeds that would be viable for propagation?

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I still have not found what they look like but I can't wait to see it...it sound so beautiful esp. since i love pinks and reds foliage... If someone finds it please post a link so i can see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Char

Barboursville, WV(Zone 6a)

Hmmm..

I received a MoT from a great trader but it doesn't look anything like Char's ...I didn't realize there are different varieties..

What's this one?

Thumbnail by crazy4vines

Of course, you have to remember I know nothing about them LOL I'm just learning ..

View from the top

Thumbnail by crazy4vines

and the underside of the leaves

Thumbnail by crazy4vines
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

nice pictures of yours crazy! i have 4 varieties of mother of thousands right now. i will try and get some pictures. one of mine has some pink around edges.

kelly

Kelly,that would be great if you post pictures of your plants here.
Your plant with the pink edges sounds like the one,I'm wanting.
Thanks to everyone posting.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Here are a couple of links to the K. fedtschenkoi cultivars on GHW website:

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/thumbnails3/tn_Kalanchoe_fedtschenkoi.jpg

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/thumbnails3/tn_Kalanchoe_fedtschenkoi_mar.jpg

Is it one of those you were looking for?

Nan,thank you for the great pictures but don't think that is a Mother of thousand-but I could be wrong.
The leaves are shaped like in the pictures that Char & crazy4vines posted,only the edges of the leaves are pink.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

(This is the description of the first one):

"Purple Scallops" Amethyst, flour-dusted scalloped leaves are margined purple with brownish notches ****producing adventitious buds in sufficient light and humidity;**** elegant terminal clusters of pendant khaki-pink flowers appearing late winter. Madagascar native. Very attractive; easily grown given good light.

OK...not what you're looking for.

Here....found this one on GHW website....is this it?
Whew! It's $12.00!

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/images5/kal-pinkt.jpg

Yes, Nan,that is it !!! :)
Boy,I hope someone has some babies of this beauty to trade.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH.... I so want that one as well....that is so BEAUTIFUL...oh did i mention OH MY GOSH.. I love it....

I will be on the look out for this beauty....and if anyone does have it....and your doing the housplant III swap.. ( I am trying to throw a hint out there)....hehehehe

Char

Char,you & me,both!!!:)

Me three!!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

lol char!!!! i do have one with pink around edges but not that much and the babies on mine aren't pink. wow look at all the pink on that one! the babies on mine are green. just the teeth on mine are pink. i got it through a trade and it is loaded with babies!

kelly

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Kelly I am searching everywhere for it..ebay, i googled it and then I am gonna go to the well known houseplants sites...I think i have a few saved in my favorites. I am gonna try to get a big enough one that i can share with everyone :o)..So keep your fingers crossed that i can find one that is not alot of mooolah.

Char

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

char crossing my fingers and toes lol : ) they are a great plant to share as they make soooooo many babies. some people don't like them because of all the babies they make but i just love them. i love any plant that is easy to propagate and share :
kelly

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 8:20 AM

Hey Char ..

The one on Glasshouse Works is 12 bucks .. but I wouldnt know how big it is .. I'd go in 1/2 on it with ya ... (or thirds or fourths) HAHA

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/succ-k.html

Ya gotta scroll down to

KALANCHOE HOUGHTONII PINK TEETH [VARIEGATE] $ 12.00 The succulent lvs have pink & silver splashed along the edges & sometimes the midrib; variegation disappears when in extended extremely warm conditions. Be prepared: if shipped during warmer times of the year, little pink will be visible. Originally shared with us by Patti Lee.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

GHW plants are quite small, and I'm pretty sure they have a minimum order?
It would be really tough for me to narrow down a list to order from them!

You should try posting on the plant trading forums with that specific name....Kalanchoe Houghtonii 'Pink Teeth'.....and maybe even post the GHW description in your post..........since they are 'prolific' producers(LOL!) *someone's* got to have one with a 'baby' or two to share!

Good luck on your quest....I'm going to look into the Bowiea propagation.....I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

bump

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 4:13 PM

Hey..I have a much longer post over in the hoya forum..but I thought I'd tell you this part so you'd see it ... I went to glasshouse works today

I then asked him about the mother of thousands "pink teeth".. they do not have them ready to be picked up.. when someone orders them, the start a plant for them.. even by next week, when I got back, he doubts it would be ready to go but I told him I wanted it anyway...he said that they require much more light and are harder to take care of and many people are killing them and then complaining so they only make starts when one is ordered and they explain to them it really needs to be in bright light or a green house.

I am going back there next Friday

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

christmascactus:
Good news: what you are looking for is here:
http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/ISI2003/catalogindex3.html
bottom left.
Bad news: this one does not propagate from plantlets as it is a variegated plant and they lack the chlorophyll.
Maddy

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Maddy,

Thank You for the wonderful link....and if i am reading it right it is only $5...WOW...I was wondering if anyone was gonna order one from there... if so we can get together and make one big order.

Let me know as i absolutely want one.

Char

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

wow great price!!! too bad it doesn't propagate from babies so we could share easier. love it!!!!!!

kelly

maddy,thank you so much for the link.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.