They survived Katrina

Pearl River, LA

I thought this may be a good place to post the obviously prennial gardens that survived Katrina over on the coast....It is my understanding that a 26 foot surge of salt water cover this area destroying most everything here and yet ......here they are...I do not understand how that can be ......do you??????I would have thought salt water would destroy all plants and seeds.....shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

and this great display....what is it....

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

an upclose view of plant

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Shirleyt,
Nature has a way of righting it's wrongs. What is taht in the second photo they are beautiful.
Gary

Pearl River, LA

a little cottage garden back....in all its glory

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

up close....I am amazed that they came back shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

gladandrews I do not know what that plant is..... but I do know I want as many as I can get......they have to be tuff to take what they have been through....and that is what I need....It gets so hot and dry here for the last few years....I need to look to very hardy plants......shirleyt

Pearl River, LA

one more this is Montana Rose right?????Mom used to have this when I was a child st

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

Just thougt maybe someone would be interested in seeing these....my daughter took these yesterday in Bay St Louis... a lot of our favorite places and the old houses are gone.....it is so sad....I have not been able to go look....I start crying just thinking about it....shirleyt

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

amaranthus?

Coral vine--the pink one--they are tough; esp. after a couple of years in the ground.

Is the cottage garden house your daughter's? Would be happy to send her some Louisiana iris' starts in Aug and some creole garlic cloves. My garlic isn't harvested yet.

Madison, WI

Thank you for posting the photos. That's the power of nature!

The purple plants are Amaranth, I think. They surprised me last summer. Sown midsummer they were 6'+ in a couple of months and stood to storms better than some of my neighbour's staked sunflowers.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Very Wow for the Amaranthus. They will likely self sow? I don't think they are perennial though.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I don't know a whole lot about botany, but seeds are purposely designed to withstand all sorts of stress, and many plants have deep roots, or tubers, or some sort of storage root that can withstand drowning. I heard of someone whose daylilies came back after a salt water flood.

Shirley I'm very sorry for what Katrina did to your part of the world...I spent a summer in Ocean Springs a couple of years ago and a lot of what I knew is also gone. Very sad. :(

May the storms this season all blow out to sea!
pam

Pearl River, LA

phuggins this was a favorite area of Bay St Louis for us.....I thought maybe you would like to see this pic.....we used to go to Benignos for Gator sandwiches....what a trip.....The PP would slip off from the OLA gym where Our daughter Coach Sandy was coaching vb to beginners and get sandwiches...... and I visit there when we are over there.....I was delighted to see the old building survived all though it does not look open to me..... I bet it comes back though...I hope you are not familiar with this place. this is a" just in case note........."shirleyt ........ update it is open but it has changed hands.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Otis, CO

I would definitely suspect Amaranthus for the red stuff. I've had a couple of volunteers here in zone 5 so I'm sure they'd do fine down there.

It was a big wall of water but the salt concentration isn't like what gets ploughed onto us from the salt trucks in the winter. Plus all that saltwater stood around for the most part until drained off. At least that's what I'd expect with an already high water table and saturated ground from the rains.

Thats still a pretty good trick at holding their breath. :)

San Antonio, TX

Shirleyt,
I am so impressed and inspired by the resiliance of the plants in your photos. It's a wonderful example of overcoming all odds.
Thank you very much for posting them.
Nancy

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

shirley ...were any of those photos your house?? or your former house? i didn't know you when katrina had hit .....so i haven';t seen what it did to your home...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for posting the pictures of growth and renewal. Our hearts went out the the 'plant' people in NO as well. I could visualize all the beautiful courtyards, gardens and windowboxes in ruin. This is a wonderful to see the resilience.

I too will vote for a type of amaranth ~ bloom and foilage are a lovely color. The rose of montana or coral vine (Antigonon leptopus) has always made me think of the deep south. I love it... Thanks ShirleyT!

Pearl River, LA

Sticks no it is not my house or area. It is in Mississippi about thirty minutes from me. We liked to drive over for the quick trip to the Gulf water views. We had favorite places and also wished we could move on the water there. You can find pics of my damage in my diary. I will be posting the after clean up pics when I get the new home placed and the old one out. If you want to see more that can be arranged.. It has been work work work to get it to the state it is in now and still much more to go. The kind of gardening I have been doing this year is raking all the left over debri from those 20 downed trees, and just plain trying to stay ahead of the grow back rate of all the trash trees that are coming back out ground stump root systems. Does not leave much time for the fun stuff. I had that other limb fall from the magnolia that I have not cut up yet. I need it to be a little cooler to attack that.

Thumbnail by shirleyt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.