String of Pearls -- help!

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi

I finally found a String of Pearls plant at HD after months of looking! But I had bought some cuttings off of someone on Ebay, and I think I overwatered them. Now most of the baby strands are shriveled up to practically nothing. It looks like they've dried up, but the soil feels moist, and the pot is heavy (I used cactus and succulent potting mix).

So my question is, how do I water and care for my new plant so I don't kill it? What problems should I look out for, and how do I fix them?

Kelly

Edited to say that the subject heading is supposed to say String of Pearls--help! :)

This message was edited Jun 5, 2006 10:14 AM

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Kelly,

How are you! My PP is doing fine but now let me see if I can help you. First, remove the plant from the pot and try to get rid as much of the old, wet soil as you can. Look at the roots, smell them. If they look fine and smell all right, repot prefererably in a clay pot and fresh soil and wait to see what happens. Hope this helps.8>)

Larry

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Kelly,

Here is the plant link http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2391/. Check it out, the plant is a succulent.

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi

Glad to hear your PP is doing well! I think I'm going to have to repot mine soon because it's starting to outgrow its pot. :)

Anyway, thanks for the tips about the String of Pearls. I'm not as worried about saving my little babies now that I have the full grown plant. I just want to avoid doing the same thing to the big one! How do you know when a String of Pearls is "dehydrated" and not getting enough water, or when it's overwatered?

Kelly

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Kelly,
Don't know how to answer your last two questions??? Since it is a succulent, just be careful about watering. Use your finger or a stick to test the soil wetness and it really depends on the type of pot it is in. Which is why I do like clay pots.LOL I saw your post in the other forum. Hope you get a better answer there. Take care.

Larry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.