How'd you choose your screen name?

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I was asked the question... and I'd love to hear your stories too. I'll start..... Let's see how many we can get on the Georgia Gardening forum.

"Teateacher" I would love to tell you a wonderful and creative story about how I came by the name.. but there is not one to tell. I don't drink coffee. Never could acquire a taste for it so I finally quit trying. I tell people I'm not old enough for coffee, but my granddaughter (in middle school) loves to drink it, so I'm starting to back off my "age" excuse. I just don't like it!

I am~was~couldbe~mightbe?again~someday a school teacher and my 'fix' is iced tea. I don't drink as much of it as I carry around. DH says I nurse it and should drink it from a sippie cup, because I'm seldom seen without a glass of it in my hand and if I get in my car to go anywhere, I have a glass with me. It is not unusual for one glass to still be 3/4 full after 3 or 4 hours of sitting on my desk.... and it's also not unusual for me to have 2 or 3 half glasses at my house when I'm home all day. I think I'm addicted to the 'idea' of having tea. Anyway, that's how the name came about. I have the same name on Ebay too... When I first subscribed to Dave's Garden, I didn't know anything about it, and was skeptical of putting my real name in. If I had it to do again... I'd just tell you my name is SHARON!

This message was edited Jun 2, 2006 10:06 PM

This message was edited Jun 2, 2006 10:10 PM

Thumbnail by teateacher
Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

My name is simply "Larkie"...

Larkie

I wish I'd started with "sharon" but I hate to change it now, because Teateacher has made DG friends...sr

Lilburn, GA

Spider is the name fo my beloved dog.

Cordele, GA

My son's best friend in first grade, whose family had com to Birmingham from Hong Kong, bestowed the name Turtle on me. His parents were dismayed since they felt he was being impolite, but I liked it. It became my use name for on line groups.

Beth

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Soupcon is French for "a little bit" as in, "add a soupcon of cream." I'm short and French (mostly) from Louisiana. There's also the "soup" angle, and I love to make soups. There ya go. I like having a handle, but like signing my real name, too. Sheila

Lakeland, GA

I got mine because I am the only gardener in my family!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

My "revelation" came to be when I first signed onto DG. Every name I came up with was already used and it was "bugging me".........LOL
Sharon

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I love both of your names Sharons!

I simply adore violas and birds, but PLEASE call me Vi!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I think mine is self explanatory... the only surprise to most is that I'm female, not male. Times, they are a changing! Phyllis

Rentz, GA(Zone 8a)

The name comes from the fact that, try as I may, I have never been able to plant a tree that is straight. My wife says it's a talent. I'm not so sure. Probably just Astigmatism

Lilburn, GA

LOL!!!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

When I joined Daves, I was just lazy and used the ID I use other places. Beclu comes from a misplaced right hand on the keyboard when typing Becky. hehe.

Augusta, GA

...a nickname from my spouse...Toontes---The Wonder Cat...because I seem to tackle everything that comes my way...or so he thinks! (tunet-es)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Love for Gardening is at the core of my soul!!

Susan

Mine stands for
I = me
O = Owe
1 = One = God
The only one. :)

I could not grow a *thing* without Him.

~Elaine~

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

My name stands for marine corps and my birth year. A name I've used for a while. I'm a marine reservist.

I also didn't realize that we had other people, one from rentz(about 40 miles from me) and camilla(a very nice small town).

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow!! What a youngin! I would have thought you graduated from high school in 1983 if you hadn't said!! :) Good for you!! :)

Susan

This is starting to be a really neat thread. I know this same thought runs on some other threads, but GA people are closer and I like this better. The names & sources are great! Keep sharing! Sharon

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Everyone is so creative! I ran into the same problem that Bugme had - all the screen names I thought up were taken. So then I decided to just do LizG - my last name is gant, but that was taken as well, so the screen name became Gliz.
(phonetically it's Gee - Liz!) :)

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

My name is self explanitory also,my first name is Mike,my last begins with Q,as a young studient,I was tested with a 77 Iq,and allowed to pass right through school.The old care taker died the year I entered the seventh grade,and I filled in for him,and was the only kid in school that knew the furnace coal stoker system,and that was my school year.Three years later I was ask obout what I was going to do about "getting out of school",and I couldn't quit,because I knew I needed an education,to go a little futher than my Irish emigrant dad went(who died when I was 10),and the councelors at the school,had told my mother that I was beyond learning,(she believed that to her death).So I am self educated,and plan to enter the university system,with the credits I have been able to aquire,and rebel against my parents again.This incident has caused me to develope an unsadisfied drive to learn more,and excell,but never no never forget my humble beginnings.Mike

I am going to keep you all guessing.

GGG

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

you go Mike!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

GGG, :) !! i think you told me once, but I forgot! It's hmm.. remind us??

Mike, thanks so much for sharing your story.. Thats amazing and very moving.

My mother was an immigrant from Spain. As a child she had polio and her mother kept her home from school from a very young age to keep the other kids from tormenting her about her deformed feet and limp. She was barely literate. My dad was a high school drop out that joined the military and met my mom in Spain. In high school there were times I just was surviving and I didn't do my best and a couselor advised I go to a vocational school. Not only did I go to college, and paid my way, but I was a presidents and deans list student. I was very involved in leadership in several school organizations. My now husband was so impressed with me that he chased me down in the parking lot at school and now we're married with two beautiful sons. I gained legal guardianship of my sister when she was 17 and not only did she get her 4 year teaching degree and became a elementary school teacher, she now has her masters in education. I have taken the prep courses for the law school entrance exam, but placed that on hold until my children get older and are both in school themselves. I struggle with whether or not I really want to become an attorney when I have such a huge passion for being outdoors and gardening. I would just need to figure out a way to turn it into a business.

Now, my life is truely blessed and I couldn't ask for anything more. I have a wonderful husband and two great up and coming gardener sons, a great big yard and garden and the wonderful home my husband grew up in.

It's always great to hear of people pulling themselves up and out of what they were delt and making themselves the best they can be.

Susan

This message was edited Jun 7, 2006 8:53 PM

Thank you all,the reason I'm entering @uni.is at 65,its free,and thats what it be,but thinking of the bad past will pull a person down.When God forgave me,it was once and for all ,and take rom.8:1 very seareously,it means just what it says,you can easily guess where I obtained wisdom.I owe my very being to Him,and pray that I can make the world around me well worth the living,by being there for those that "think"they are little,and without porpous,when actually they are more like a dimond,found in the rough,(valuble,but needing the Masters handy work).This I know,and realize.Gby,,Mike

Lilburn, GA

Wow, what an inspiring and uplifting thread.

Susan, like you I was thinking of turning my passion for gardening into a business. I am growing cuttings to sell them at the local farmers market. You can start this way. And grow if you wish. You have a big garden, I have a small one so, if I do it, so can you.

Best of luck both of you. Mike, all the best for your degree.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Spider, the problem is that I just can't quit getting things and growing for my OWN garden and continually desiring to fill it out even more!! :) Yes, I've seen your posts in the market growers forum and know what your up to!! :) Best of luck and maybe one day, you;ll see me selling there too! :)

:)

Susan

Lilburn, GA

that woul dbe lovely Susan.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

:) We'd be DG friends instantly!

Susan

Lilburn, GA

I sincerely wish you do it! I can even be your customer!

Susan,spider07,Liz , and sharon,we can all do what we enjoy,if we don't set limitations on ourselves, a bird can't fly until he takes his first leap,a turtle never gets anywhere until he sticks his neck out,and we,who are mature,and certainly inteligent whats holding us back.OURSELVES maybe we want to get the children grown,and sometimes our monsters,that we work hard to create are holding us back,and sometimes we are just afraid of failing.I would hasard to say that the things I failed,I now know best.When we started rooting plants did we have 100%?I didn't,but I have found a lot of people who need small growers to buy from,because they look for close personal people they can trust to add an addition to their garden.Follow your dream.Thank you Sharon for starting this thread. Mike

Aha, my little DDD! I am not going to divulge my screen name meaning...rest assured it has nothing whatsoever to do with my employment, a topic which on gardening forums I am emailed about frequently either from interested parties (with dirty minds) or to be admonished by people (with dirty minds, lol!)

I will however, tell you one thing about myself. I do not drive!
Many people think that is very strange, but I grew up in a family where my Mom did not drive, and in a city (Toronto) where 99% of my friends do not drive either (only two even own cars, neither drive them much). Like NYC, London and many other large cities, it's too expensive in Toronto to pay to store the car, pay to park everywhere and then sit for hours in traffic wasting gasoline (and spewing fumes). So I ride my bike. It's my "cadillac" and I have baskets on the front and back for plant purchases (or gifts giving plants). I deliver plants to my clients in it, and take my bike on my design jobs which are only done in my immediate community. When I started riding my bike nobody around here rode bikes. Now we even have a local annual bike ralley!

GGG

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

It's what my father used to call me b/c when I was a baby, I'd eat nothing else. My mom's Korean and she pretty much raised me on kimchee on rice. I don't even know if they had Gerbers in Korea back then...;-)

Mike, Gliz, Spider, GGG, and all the rest. I think I'm getting more out of this thread than anybody else! I also came from humble beginning and when I was in high school, not one single counselor ever bothered to mention college to me. Coming from the poor side of town they apparently didn't think I could make it, either financially or academically. I went to college when my youngest child was in high school and I graduated 4 years later with honors. I taught third grade for one year but my heart was definately with the children in my class who struggled. I was a Title I reading coach for one year and then went back to college (at 45) to get additional certication in Special Education. I then taught children with learning disabilities for 12 years.

MIKE... an IQ of 77 is not as bad as you might think. PLUS... the methods of testing were so bad and inconsistent when you were tested, your score is probably much higher than that. An IQ is merely a 'photograph' of how you tested *that one day, *with that one test *in that one test environment. Don't take it for gospel. A true IQ score is only accurate with a series of various test given over a span of time, all of which were never even heard of when you were tested. Every person is not born to be a 'no study.... no worry' kind of person, and everybody is not college material but you (at a 77) can learn anything you set your mind to. It's just too bad that when we were growing up there were no ESE classes to teach struggling students the learning strategies to get them through. A lot of self esteem was needlessly destroyed.

My mother quit school at 15 to get married because she said she felt dumb and couldn't learn what the other kids were learning. She probably had a learning disability. She wanted to be a nurse but a thoughtless TEACHER told her she would never be able to pass the nurse testing. She didn't see any reason to stay in school if she couldn't be a nurse, so she quit and got married! I was born 2 years later and when I was in junior high school she got her GED. I think that might have been the happiest I'd ever seen her. She later took some college computer classes and taught income tax courses for H. R. Block for years. Now in her 70's, she still does taxes for about 100 people every year from her home office, but of course now she is "online" with the IRS. She still has trouble understanding complicated reading passages, and she NEVER reads for pleasure. BUT... give her numbers and she is a whiz! What most people don't understand is that "SLD" stands for "Specific Learning Disability" and is exactly that... a disability in a "SPECIFIC" area, not all area. Some people who don't know what they are talking about, call it "SLOW Learning Disability", but that's not true... it's specific to one or two areas of cognitive learning, not overall intelligence. Keep your chin up and don't let ANYBODY stop you. And you know what... I've personally learned 'tons' from YOU about gardening and never would have guessed that you didn't have a degree in horticulture! sr

Lilburn, GA

Wow Teateacher, you blew my mind!

You peeps are so great!!!

GGG... I think your name is cool and don't give a second thought to people who have 'issues' with it. That's their problem, not yours! I regularly go on 'girlfriend weekends' with 2 girls who've been my friends since elementary school. We live in different states now but we make 'dates' to get together in various fun places several times a year. Actually, we have one planned for next weekend. We originally called ourselves the '80's Ladies' but now we proudly boast the title of "Millenium MawMaw's". One of the girls shared a one bedroom apartment with me for two years after high school before either of us married. Can you imagine how people would talk about us NOW! We all have long happy marriages and get a kick out of the whole idea of what people say. Our husbands just roll their eyes at us. We never leave each others company or end a telephone conversation without telling each other that we love 'em. Sad most sisters aren't that close! New friends are silver, old friends pure gold!

Lilburn, GA

GGG, let me guess.....

Girl Group Girl is a girl's band and you are the guitarrist.?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Well I guess I'll tell again, I think I posted this elsewhere but here it is!
The names I tried were already taken, so I remembered my Grandmothers name! When She passed she had Altzimers, and she would pass in and out of "today" and go back to her childhood often! She didnt remember me or any of the grands. And her own Children were non existant because she was a child too! So she would recognize each of us as cousins or playmates from her past! I was the little girl down the road who had Goats!
The one thing my grandmother Eufaula did remember though was she loved to Garden!
She planted vegetables and flowers everywhere, any time she could!
I love you Grandma !

(Eufaula)

Eufaula, what a wonderful way to pay tribute to your grandmother. Now she has a front row seat to see all your beautiful flowers! sharon

Ohh,we are a fine group,and GARDEDING is the best medium.Love you all.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.