Advice for first cutting

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I received a cutting from a passion flower vine. Approx. 6" in length. I did not know what to do with it, and I did'nt have time to research it. So, I grabbed my bag of Miracle grow potting soil and the rooting hormone, cut at a angle the bottom end of the already cut vine about 1/2" below where the first leaf set and (i call them the hands) tandrils, then I pulled off the leaves and the tendril/hand and dipped the approx. 1" worth of the bottom stem in the hormone. Buried the whole portion of the dipped stem in the potting soil. lightly watered soil and plan to keep slightly moist till roots form. The leaves looked wilty and sick about 3 hrs. later.

Did I do anything wrong? This i have never done before. Never a vine. I really would like to keep it and grow more of them. There were no blooms on the vine i received. Any advice positve, negative, or other would be greatly appreciated.

AM I GONNA LOSE IT????????????????????????????

calvin

(Zone 6a)

Calvin - It sounds to me like you did the right thing! You could keep a baggie over it to make a mini greenhouse till it roots. I did that for my first hydrangea cutting and it worked well.
It's a little late but welcome to DG!

Steve

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

How many leaves are there? You don't want to many, I'd say only one or two. So the plant isn't stressed out trying to support leaves and can put its energy into roots. For that same reason, you also don't want to fertilize it. So maybe a soilless medium would work better. Like a seedling mix.
The roots may not come out of the cut end of the stem or the stem itself, I don't know about passion flower (never tried that), but in my experience with vines and other things, the roots develope were the leaves were attatched to the stem. So I usually try bury at least one or two of those points.
I'd keep a baggy over it too and shelter it from too much sun or heat.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for all the advice:

I got pics today and the leaves have perkedback up a little

pic#1 I haven't added the bag yet and was wonderig if it okay to leave it alone without the bag.? and you can see there are more than one or two leaves left. should I take another cutting from this one?

Thumbnail by nivlac
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Pic#2:

Thumbnail by nivlac
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Pic#3:

Thumbnail by nivlac
Fulton, MO

I have not grown this plant. But if I were treating this one like my other cuttings, I would cut the top half off, just above the second set of leaves. I would also cut off half of the larger leaf.

Really, it doesn't look too bad at all. I have cuttings under mist right now that looked a lot worse than that, yet they are rooting.

SB

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey let me just tell you that it is very near impossible to kill a pasion vine- those things are made of cast iron. Cuttings- all types- look bad after cutting, what do you expect you just took it from it's mom, it's home and you put it somewhere uncomfortable. It will have to acclimmate (sp)- keep it moist, not soggy- a baggie will help but is not necessary; keep it out of the sun for a few days then gradually bring it into the sun- harden it off. If you don't use a baggie misting is a good idea. Also could water w/ some diluted seaweed, diluted fert and/or Superthrive. Other than that, relax and enjoy.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I concur with April--but I never use baggies down here between March and Dec---lol--I never use them at all. I have a passiflora morifolia (small white flowers) grown from seed I'll hang onto for you for the next RU.
Debbie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie I greatly appreciate it. Are you going to make it to the Nursery tour this 8th in Austin?

calvin

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't know Calvin--its not looking good--my daughter has brought it to my attention that the rental has a flat tire--yessirree, flat as a pancake. I was thinking of calling them at noon tomorrow to send out a replacement. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.