Philodendron soil mix question...

I have several newly acquired philodendrons - Pink Princess, Black Cardinal, and Silver Queen (so the lady called it), as well as a Silver Philo (or Pothos, or whatever it's being called today) and various other philos, and they desperately need repotting. I've seen the pictures of some of y'alls philos, so I KNOW you're doing everything right. Anyone want to share the magic recipe with me? Any other special tips would be most appreciated, as well.
Here are a couple pictures of the Pink Princess. I got her while on vacation, and haven't had time to clean her up or shine her leaves, but will get her all prettied up when I repot. :o) I don't have pictures of the others, but I'll take some and post them soon.
Thanks so much!
RG

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Look at the solid pink baby leaves! So pretty!
We found a fabulous nursery while on vacation. I got this one for $4!! Can you imagine?? I can't find these anywhere at all near home. I was thrilled!

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

RainGazer,

Excellent price for the Pink Princess and a beautiful plant!
This is what I do, as far as, planting and potting. Am a big fan of unglazed clay pots. I prefer them because they are porous and you do not have to worry about overwatering if you use clay AND a fast draining mix. Now, the mix, is just a commercial cactus/succulent mix with extra perlite and maybe some commercial potting soil. I just throw it together!LOL Hope this helps.

Larry

I know have a commercial African Violet mix, but I don't like it for my AVs, and I believe I have some C/S mix, too. I'll have to look. How much perlite to you add to the C/S mix?
What about fertilizing? Just thought of that. I got a Pink Princess last fall, and it is absolutely pitiful (don't ask for a picture! LOL). I want to get it back up to health, and keep the one above healthy.
Thanks for your help!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

RainGazer,

Just a suggestion, since you don't like the AV mix; mixed that with you C/S mix, added some perlite...mix well; run it through your fingers, the mix should just run freely. Sounds like some witch brew. LOLLL. Another 'senior moment' here!8>} Now, fertilizing, well, I don't do a lot of that.

Larry

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I use Pro-Mix, with added perlite, in unglazed clay pots. Actually, my pink princess is in C and S mix right now, believe it or not! I'll be changing that this weekend- to Pro-Mix with added perlite. It's done well in this mix. I don't like AV soil for anything other than AVs. I sometimes add perlite to that too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.