Persian Shield

Phoenix, AZ

I'd appreciate any help.
I have a Persian Shield I've tried to root in water (nothing), soil (nothing). The soil was potting soil. Should it be sandy? Water was our horrid Phoenix water. Any one have any luck actually starting from cuttings? I would have thought it was as easy as coleus or the like.
Thanks, ~Susie

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Strobilanthes-persian shield does root pretty easily from cuttings-not as fast as coleus but within 14-20 days. I root them in a soiless mix, I take the tip-about 3" high and take the lower leaves off-just what goes in the soil, and water once a day so the soil stays wet. It might go limp for a day or so but then perks up.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

My daughter roots them easily; you could try some rooting hormone.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They root really easy for me, rooting hormone and potting soil--keep moist and out of sun. It's a good thing they do root easy for me, lost one in the horrid heat and drought last summer and the other got zapped by late Feb frost.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Deb you poor thing, do you need another? I am sure that I could get a cutting from my daughter for you.

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks, everyone.
I've started one cutting in sand and some soil. Have to get out for some rooting compound. I'm on day 5 of the first cutting. I don't want to strip my plant of new growth so I want to try this in stages 'cause I fear I won't be able to purchase another plant as they seem to have disappeared from my nursery.

Oklahoma City, OK

I rooted a single cutting late last summer in vermiculite without any rooting hormone. It lived through most of the winter and then expired... Does anyone know if they can live multiple seasons or if it has a "programmed death" time?

Phoenix, AZ

Mine has been with me about a year - Phoenix, AZ... Had a hard time during the "winter" - all of 60-70 degrees. Coming back to life now. Needs a fair amount of water and total shade.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I grow mine in full sun and it does well. I think its one of those that can go in either sun or shade.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Won't take full sun here--but we aren't most 'normal' places...lol

They may have a certain lifespan--I've never been able to grow it longer than 2-2.5 years max.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I grew lots of Persian Shield cuttings at our last home, in Coastal GA. The plant was incredibly easy to root from cuttings. Unfortunately, the winters at our home were marginal for Strobilanthes. Some plants would sail through the winter (all under protection of huge Live Oaks), others did a Frogger (Croaked), in more open situations. Since this plant was easy to root, I would place several cuttings 'round the edge of a large "Azalea Pot" (wider-than-deep pot), and placed them under shadecloth. Once rooted, I would usually bump them up to separate pots prior to planting. This plants looooves heat & humidity..so installing cuttings directly into cool soil, will only slow their establishment. Fertilize & water them well, once rooted/planted out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.