Variegated Philodendron

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Could anyone please let me know if there are more than two kinds of Variegated phil?

I know of two types, unfortunately, I haven't a clue on what their cultivar names are. The first looks like it's been lightly splattered with lighter tissue. Sort of the way paint sprays off of a toothbrush. (Remember doing that when you were little?)

The second type has large bold patches of color, similar to a Pothos plant. That's the one in the picture.

Are there any other types out there similar to these that you know of? Vining, not the large-leaved upright type. I love those, but I have no room for them.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

You have this one.
http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/philodendron/brasil.htm
Kaleem

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Machiko you have one of my favorite heart-leaved philos- 'Brasil'. She's a very easy-care plant, although she did give me a fit last year after I repotted her. She must have secretly gone to some 12-step program for plants with attitudes, for she is now flying the straight and narrow.:)

I was trying to come up with name of the other var. philo you described, but I'm coming up blank. Can you take a pic of that one too?

GH

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Well, there is this one from http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58994/index.html and mine's...

Thumbnail by senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I, also, have this one which is the 'prince of orange'

Thumbnail by senlarrs
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

GrowHappy,

Thanks for the ID! I know what you mean about attitude from this one. What a grouch over a little repotting- sheesh!

Here's the best pic I could get of a leaf. Too little light this winter, and the new growth is starting to come in all green. Now that the sun-lovers are outside, I've rotated it back to better light. If worse comes to worse, I'll just take the new colored tips, and use the all-green one for a mama.

Senlarrs,

Thanks for the pics- I should've mentioned that they were both heart-leafs. D'oh! But I love seeing pics of people's plants anyway, especially ones that I love, but lack room for. :(

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Senlars, Thanks for posting those pics. Your plants are lovely! Your second one looks like 'Moonlight' than 'Prince of Orange'. Do you have other bird's nest philos as well? I have those and the one called 'Autumn'. Philos are my favorite aroid. I'm still lusting after the var. bipennifolium('Splash Gordon'). I'm gonna order it from Steve before it gets too hot!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

GH,

You know, after reading your post, I think you are right about the 'prince of orange' being ' moonlight. Lost the tags for some of my plants but seem to remember that name. That plants was a sub for the 'black' phil that I had ordered from whoever. LOL. Nope, those are the only ones I have. I will just have to find more room!

Larry

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I have the prince of orange, autumn, black cardinals, moonlight, pink princess, emerald prince, and I think one more. Philos are my favorite.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Larry, I see that you are a big fan of unglazed clay pots. I prefer them as well. Because they are porous, air is allowed to the plants roots, which helps keep them healthy. You don't have to worry so much about overwatering if you use clay AND a highly aerated mix.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

GH,

Yup, I do like unglazed clay pots and use an aerated mix. I do have that tendency to overwater at times.LOL But I do have a few plastic pots. I tend to move towards plastic once a plant get a certain size. Clay becomes heavy after 8" size. Larry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.