Peak of the Iris Season

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I, too, love them both. My TB iris are finishing up, but you can see the daylily scapes rising now.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Delhi, IA

Wanda, How far apart would you say are your clumps of iris and daylilies?

18 inches between clumps in a diamond pattern from row to row. I intersperse my iris with daylilies & other perennials for variation.

Theoretically, tall ones in back though a couple surprised me this year with TALL ones in a second row dwarfing the rows behind them.

Hebron, KY

All the photos are beautiful! Thanks everyone who shared! I'm finding more Irises I want to buy next year. DH going to 'love' knowing that! LOL

Marilyn

Thornton, IL

lincolnitess - Your irises are so beautiful. I came here looking for inspiration and I found it! I have a TB that is unknown to me, I'm not even sure what color it is, maybe a dark wine. I had to move it or lose it this summer, it wasn't blooming much, and the person I promised it to had knee surgery and couldn't take it. So I plopped it next to a peony bush, I'll post a pic in spring. Maybe you can suggest one to go with it? I would like a blue one and just love your OP.

Susan--I know where you live and I'm going to come tromping thru your beds next spring! :)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh, what a beautiful refreshing breeze of spring that lovely iris tour is now in December! Thanks again for posting all those Lincolnitis! And thanks for bringing it back again Marilyn. Boy - can't wait to see everybody's spring '07 blooms!

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Fabulous pictures. How wonderful to get blooms this time of year. Love "Supreme Sultan", beautiful. "Laurel Park" is the prettiest pink I think I've seen. ~~~ Carol
(I would be afraid my doggies would fall off the side.)

Laurel Park has HUGE blooms--as big as your outspread hand. An older deep pink that performs well.

When things settle down a bit at my business, I will finish posting my iris to the plant database. Hectic right now, but starting to calm down. Makes me want to just grab or make dinner & veg with a movie each night.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Is it a heritage? Can it still be found to purchase? I don't think I ever remember seeing it before.
What kind of business do you have?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

What are some other HUGE blooms? My largest ones are Dusky Challenger and S. Sultan

Laurel Park is Gaulter 1978. Not quite old enough to be historic. I found it several years ago--from a local grower who has retired from the business. I have been delighted with the strength and beauty of it.

I own 1/2 of First Animation Art : www.firstanimationart.com A niche art market specializing in the drawings and hand apinted cels that are actually used to make animated films. I have been finding art for collectors for over 25 years & am one of the top authorities in the nation for vintage Disney art. We get alot of new customers this time of the year who are cruising the Internet as well as our regular base. Gets a little crazy. Lots of misinformation out there that we have to clear up. Our business sold over a half a million in art again this year.

Other HUGE iris blooms? I have been surprised by several this year that bloomed for the first time after 3 years of waiting---
Ecstatic Echo is a beauty that is bigger than an out spread hand. Very upright & strong.

Exotic Isle was another big surprise.

Triumphal Entry was the other one that stuck out as BIG.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

All of those are lovely. I am glad you are posting some that you consider large. I want to add some to my garden. I have only a small collection.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, Wanda.

Thank you for your Christmas Wishes. May God Bless all of you out there!

Large iris blooms have always been a surprise for me. You know that SDB & MTB will have small blooms, but none of the iris details ever tell us which blooms are naturally oversized.

Bountiful Harvest has larger blooms too--not as big as Triumphal Entry, but bigger than most.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Very interesting. Sounds like relaxing, fun work.

I love my business. It funds my garden habits...

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

I need a job to fund my garden habits.

'Ecstatic Echo' and 'Triumphal entry' are gorgeous. Are they rebloomers, by any chance?

Not that I have noticed--but only 6 of my 33 "rebloomers" have ever fall bloomed in my gardens. I'll tell you, the blooms on those 2 are so awe-inspiring that I don't need anything else out of them!

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

They are beautiful. What heights are they?

My bigger bloomed gems are only 32-36 inches tall with thick stems.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds like a not-TOO-tall size. Gotta find them.

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Wanda,
Nice website...I saved it for reference later. Sounds fun!
Laura

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Susan, did you see the Bridge in Time Iris on today's homepage? I found out that the hybrdizer belongs to my Iris Club. She is a very sweet lady. Hopefully, I can add several of her plants this year. Here is a link to her wedsite.

http://thegardensite.com/irises/bridgeintime/

Our website is fun, but just a sampling of the art we handle. with my partner out of town, I've had my hands full. Not much time to play on DG.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.