Ugly Thread 2006

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

After the morning's rush to see what's blooming, I decided I couldn't wait any longer to get this thread started. Three of the five blooming were really ugly, and the fourth was no great shakes. Can you imagine what Spanish Queen would have looked like, if it hadn't decided to skip today? The first is Exotic Empire which had several nice blooms earlier.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Next is Beyond 2000. It is the first bloom. Sorry the focus isn't better. What a shame not to get a perfect picture of this lovely flower!

This message was edited May 27, 2006 10:09 AM

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Then there's Betty Ford which has had some really pretty blooms earlier.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Lavender Cream Cascade isn't too bad, but still not the greatest. Surely tomorrow will be better.
Don

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Troy, IL(Zone 6a)

Looks like Betty Ford went to her clinic and "dried out."

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Or perhaps failed in the attempt!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

ROTFLOL - How DO you do it??Too, too funny!!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

gingerjar, those must have really started your morning out right!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL your forum really gave me a good laugh, gingerjar - thanks for sharing!

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's the maiden bloom on AWESOME BLOSSOM. I can see it has potential. :-) A lot of my DLs that were gorgeous last year look kind of funky this year. We've had strange weather this year.

Sandy

This message was edited May 28, 2006 4:02 PM

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm feeling better already now that I know I'm not alone with uglies.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

This is great. Thanks so much for posting those, uh, flowers. LOL

Leslie

(Zone 7b)

Oh my goodness, Awesome Blossom is having a bad hair day, isn't it?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh my gosh, those are all so ugly. It's good to know that other people get yucky blooms too. This is my first year for anything named and a few have been less than to die for. You give me hope.

Albany, NY(Zone 5b)

Hey, I would even be happy with UGLY blooms, as long as my new babies did something this year, I would be thrilled! LOL!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Just this morning I was thinking about starting this thread!

Here's Royal Regency. (royalty? must be the insane uncle they kept locked in the belltower)

Thumbnail by Moby
(Zone 7b)

Wonder what David Attenborough (The Secret Life Of Plants) would say about that beauty!

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey Moby!!!! Good to hear from you! I know you hang out more on the Lily Forum, but I sure miss your 'quips' over here.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hey Syb ~ true, I haven't been in here much but it's DL season so I'll be around more in an attempt to abuse your funny bone. :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ahh......much better! This is what Royal Regency is supposed to look like ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

oooh! gingerjar, you have some real candidates for the 'ugly' award!

Why would these DL blooms be so unattractive? Is it mostly due to weather? Or are the first blossoms usually pretty ratty? Just wondering?...

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I guess it's because they are early blooms, but both Betty Ford and Exotic Empire had had very nice blooms a few days ago. Maybe it had something to do with karma yesterday.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

About half of my first blooms are having a bad case of the uglies. Thank goodness they improve over time.

Maiden bloom on POPOVER

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

That certainly qualifies for the thread!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here's VOLCANO SKAG er, I mean QUEEN. LOL!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

And here's HONKY TONK BLUES trying its best not to come out and play. This was my first bloom of the season and it did NOT want to be first in line lol!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

That same thing happened with my first bloom on Gillian. I guess she was just too shy to be the first one open cuz this is as far as she got.

Thumbnail by mgh
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

lilyfantn, you have a way with names!

(Zone 7b)

Do they do that a lot, not open up at all?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

The first two I had this year didn't open. It's also happened in my garden sometimes when the rain weighs down the tips of the petals and they just sort of glue themselves together.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

This is FORBIDDEN FANTASY. It should be forbidden all right !!!!

Thumbnail by corgimom
Sayre, OK(Zone 7a)

The fantasy has turned into a nightmare! lol ;o)

Troy, IL(Zone 6a)

Corgimom--that is how most of my fantasies tend to turn out! lol

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Uh oh! Looks like it's been beaten with Moby's bag of hot nickels! I thought for sure they would have cooled down over the winter. LOL!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

At least they are blooming - sigh- Noticed two plants from the 2004 seedling bed have scapes - yippee, perhaps I will have some to add. This hot humid weather seems to prompt them to scape up.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

They did cool off, Syb, but they're heating up again!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

man, I don't even bother taking the ugly shots but I should have remembered last years thread, it was a hoot and this years is starting out with a bang! I have had almost nothing but ugly so far, very cool nights, earwigs, etc. I'll try to contribute here!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Please do. :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Isn't it fascinating all the variations of ugly there are represented here? I'm sure I'll have some to add as the season gets going.

Susan

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Me too! Now that I have a camera I'll be able to share my 'Uglies' as well, and I aim to win the 'Ugly, 2006, Award'! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.