Weeping fig, got one today

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ(Zone 7a)

I would appreciate any and all help that you could give on the care of this plant. It is a great tree! I love the way it looks. But I would love to make it happier than it is. It's got some parts that look like they need snipping. But I am unsure how to go about this. Plus I know they can be very fussy and lose leaves at the drop of a hat, so I don't want to put it in too much stress to soon. Also I do not have the greatest light conditions but for the first part of the day I do get some bright indirect light from the east and my bedroom gets a lot brighter from noon on from the west. I don't want to put it in my room, because no one will see it. SO will it survive in my inadequate lighting. In the fall when all the leaves start to come off of the trees I will get better lighting conditions. SO any suggestions. Or did I make a bad choice buying this beauty? I do want to find a spot for it ASAP because I don't want to have it being bounced from one room to the other. ANy and all help is appreciated even if you tell me off :) lol
Holly who truly does appreciate your time and effort :)

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Holly,

I would suggest that you put it in your sunniest spot for now. This will help it adjust more gradually to reduced light levels. In the late fall, you can move it to your somewhat dimmer other location where it will have a less difficult adjustment to make.

Now is a good time to prune your new ficus. Pruning helps to open up the outer canopy and allow more light in to the center of the tree. Small, thin branches in the center should be pruned off entirely because they will die back eventually anyway.

Things to avoid for now are: Repotting and fertilizing.

Will Creed

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks Will. I was definately avoiding the repotting and the fertilizing for now. I will put it into the bedroom for the time being. ANd then move it to the lower lit area at a later date. Thanks for the info on those small scraggely branches. The are looking like they are going to die off soon. What about the airial roots, leave them be? Or do they get pruned back as well. I have never dealt with them before. So tomorrow I will give it a bit of a haircut and put it into my room. Oh do these guys like to be misted?
Thanks for your help
Holly

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

The air roots serve no useful purpose, so trim them off if you don't like looking at them. Likewise, misting is optional. It never does any harm, but ficus trees do just fine in low humidity.
Will

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.