How to get rid of rats in my garden

El Cajon, CA

One of my kids said that they saw a huge rat sitting on my back fence last night, and then heard it jump down into my squarefoot garden.

I had been noticing some broken branches and flat spots in the garden, but they seemed to be too small for a cat to make.

We have an irrigation canal that runs behind our house, and it is very likely that the rat may have come up from there. How can I deter it from coming into my garden without having to actually catch it or kill it? HELP!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

You can get traps that catch animals with out killing them. Might try the Human Society in your area. If they don't have any that you can borrow they probably can give you some ideas on the eradication of them. Jim

Don't send them to me in a trade......LOL

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Go to the hardware store and get some Victor Rat traps bait them with peanut butter. Beleive me you want to kill them.

El Cajon, CA

OK, the reason that I want to repel the rat rather than kill it is actually more practical than humane. I don't know how many brothers and sisters it has out there in the irrigation ditch, and killing one rat is just going to leave more food for the others.

I just did some research on this and found that some people say to plant catnip in the garden because it smells like a cat. Has anyone had any experience with this?

And even if this gets rid of the rats, is it going to attract a bunch of cats into the garden?

Please let me know if anyone has used this method successfully...

Thanks!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.