Pregnant Onion

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Folks,

I've recently aquired several small pups of pregnant onion. Anyone have experience growing these in zone 7b? I'm in Piedmont NC and summers here are hot business. I'm looking to find if these will be a perpetual house plant or if they can go outside in this zone and do ok with our climate.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Swoz

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi, hope this helps--http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1792/index.html

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1792/index.html Sorry about the first one, try this.LOL

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

I've grown one for years. They are one of the easiest houseplants. I keep mine outside all summer and when I bring it in the early part of October it begins to send up a tall flower scape that can be as tall as 4' to 5'. If flowers for a very long time. I then cut back on watering and over the winter it developes some side bulblets. I never take them off to start new ones until the bulblet has developed a leaf. The only problem I have ever had is it loves to get scale. Now I've learned to spray it with hot soapy water during the summer about once a month and I no longer get scale. Never leave the foliage in the sun if you try this insect spray or it can damage your foliage. Good luck!

Thumbnail by mgarr
Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks folks for your responses. The bulblets are about the size of a half dollar right now. I'll need to repot them too. I appreciate the info about growing. mgarr what kind of plant food are you giving your plant?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine stays out in summer too but I protect it during cold snaps. All thru the year it will bloom, currently with three blooms. I rarely fertilize mine as it overproduces already.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

This is a photo of onions with one bloom... the other two blooms are on ground level making seeds. I have never had any come up from seed but haven't tried to either.

Thumbnail by podster

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.