Stormy Seas

Thumbnail by jooolster
Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10b)

Chocolate Veil

Thumbnail by jooolster
Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10b)

Key Lime Pie

Thumbnail by jooolster
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Didn't realize this forum exsisted, was just looking at someone's Plantfile images.

These are just beautiful! I have a small collection started from a couple of the co-ops and a few other nursery finds and found that I have to move a few around, they like the morning sun, am surprised how much some tolerate the sun quite well actually.
I like how that Key Lime color brightensthe shady spot, will have to keep my eye out for this one.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

joool,

They all look great.

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the combination, Lime Rickey and Obsidian. I planted these two last year.

Thumbnail by rsquared
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

rs,

Gorgeous combo,,,,very stunning.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Here are a few. Please excuse my shadow on this first one.
It is Veil of Passion.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

This is Regina.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

This last one is called Starry Night.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

What a great forum - incredibly beautiful Heuchera!

Joolster, your plants look great - we have similar taste . . . I have all but Chocolate Veil (which I'll be looking for!).

Rsquared, great combo - the contrast is exeptionally appealing!

Hemlady, they are all gorgeous, but I absolutely fell in love with Starry Night - the flower looks exceptional!

I've never sent a photo before so here goes (if it works, the Heuchera is Creme Brulee in all three containers). The color isn't quite true due to the time of day I took the photo, but it's close and was stunning all winter long as well. I also have Hebe Topiary and Agastache Apricot in those pots.

Carole

Thumbnail by Murmur
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Got a couple more today, one Tiarella and one Heuchera Dolce Key Lime Pie. Can't remember what the Tiarella is.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Those are wonderful Carole. Thanks for posting.

Cindy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Carole,
Meant to tell you last night, they are gorgeous. All 3 look very happy and healthy. I lost mine. Am looking for another, saw one yesterday at one of the places we stopped. It didn't look very good, which I know is fine as long as the roots are good,,,,and it was way to pricey for a Heuch in my opinion. So, will wait til I can find a decent one.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

All of the pics of the heucheras are very stunning! My favs are 'Creme Brulee', Lime Rickey, and Marmalade. Just beautiful! I don't have any Heucheras in my gardens yet but I sure plan to.

Lin

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

BTW how is the name Heuchera pronounced? Hu-chera??

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

HEW-ker-uh, I found it in the PlantFiles so now I know, if in doubt, check there! How cool is that?!
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/100290/index.html

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey thanks! Never thought about the Plant Files.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Jooolz,
You sure have the knack for growing heuchs and taking great photos! Very full and lush looking.

Carole, those blue pots you have there really set off the intensity of colour in the Creme Brulee. Great container display! Now I wish I were that handy with containers, lol.

Erynne

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Very nice everyone - they are great plants for combination planting.

Delhi, IA

Will they stay in the pots all winter? Or don't you freeze?

I had mine in those blue pots all winter and they kept their color - it was such a bright spot during the gray winter days. And we do freeze some, but not usually for any great length of time. It used to be a lot colder in the Pacific Northwest (like way way back when I was a kid!), but the climate has changed considerably.

Can't leave fuchsias or begonias or geraniums (other than the hardy variety) outside over the winter, though. Have to put them in the garage and usually they will survive. Glads and dahlias are supposed to be dug up in this zone, but I never do and usually have lots of them return.

Carole

Delhi, IA

Your pots are beautiful. When I play for funerals and get paid I often buy something for my garden in memory of the person.

Last summer it was a dear friend my age and I decided I wanted a blue pot in her memory; your photos just remind me that I didn't get one yet. And now I know what I may try first in those pots!!!

Jamlover, what a nice idea to buy something for your garden in memory of the person. I'm glad you like the idea of the heucheras in the blue pots!!

Do you play the organ? Piano? Harp? All of them?

Carole

Thornton, IL

Carole - Love your combos! The peach against the blue is yummy!

Joolster - you need to tell us all the plants in your great coral bells pics, I esp like Key Lime Pie next to the chocolate begonia. Stupendous!

Delhi, IA

The organ_____and I finally have a young girl with 3 small children to play half the time. Kind of a pleasant relief after all these years.
What is the diameter of your pot in the foreground? Ooh, do I love your combination!!! I have all plants listed to locate.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2006 8:30 AM

Ironton, MN

I have many heucheras in my Minnesota garden. Carmel was planted last year and is already over 30 inches across. It is a beautiful plant. Amber Waves is the only one I have found not hardy here in Northern Minnesota. It did not return the first year, nor the second, but I planted it again this year for the third and last time. It is the only heuchera that has not returned in the many years I have had them. I am mostly into hostas, having about 250 named one, plus many I have grown from seed.

Thornton, IL

Von - Just curious, do you keep trying it in the same spot?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I moved my Amber Waves this year to a sunnier location. It's looking a bit better already. I looked really good until we had our last freezing rain, snow, freezing rain and snow all in one day. After that,,,,poor thing didn't look too good.

Delhi, IA

Sounds like Caramel is better suited to our climate than Amber Waves. Don't have either but want to look around at other folks results before getting to many more.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Beautiful plants I've never seen them before.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

jam,

I think Amber Waves likes a bit more sun. Since I moved it, it's already getting new leaves on it. Still watching it though. I put Caramel in morning sun and it seems to be doing well.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

My amber waves is GONE... after three years of messing with it. I don't know if I even want to try it again.

Susan
=^..^=

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Oh no Susan! Did it just croak on you recently? How did it behave for you in the time that you had it?
Sounds like Amber Waves can be a bit tempermental. I haven't got that one yet and after reading some of these things, I don't know that I want to try it. I think I'll stick with Marmalade which I have two of and both are quite strong in their growth so far.

Erynne

I don't have Amber Waves either, but they sure sell a lot of it out here in the Pacific Northwest. I have both Marmalade and Creme Brulee, both of which are doing very well (in their second and third seasons). They both get a lot of sun, too - Marmalade in the garden, Creme Brulee in the blue containers.

I just bought Black Beauty and it is in a container near the Creme Brulees. I hope I have the container positioned so that it will get afternoon shade. In the container I also have a Rainbow Gaura and a Silver Mound Artemesia. Plus two Clematis in the back of the pot with a small lattice. It's a huge pot, but I may have overdone it a bit!! We'll see how it does.

Carole

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Murmur,

Can you post a pic of your Black Beauty please. I got that one and it's so small it isn' t even black yet. I'm just wondering if I got the wrong plant?

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Me too, LOL

=^..^=

Sure will - I'll do it tomorrow morning when the lighting will be perfect for a pic. I got it at the Ace Hardware Garden Center near my home - I think I paid $7.00 for it and it came in the gallon size container.

My camera was giving me fits - hope this works! That's my grimy fingers holding one leaf so that you can see the underside. I'll send a second pic, too.

Carole

Thumbnail by Murmur

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.