3 New Polyscias

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

These arrived yesterday (still in their wrapping!).

They were a bit pricey (Polyscias are hard to find!) but well worth it as there are multiple stems in each pot and very healthy.

Bought them from Rhapis Gardens, if anyone is interested.

They are 'Dinnerplate' ,'Palapala' and 'Oak Leaf'.
These are their 'common names'....I'll have to look up their latin names.

This message was edited May 24, 2006 1:19 PM

Thumbnail by Nan
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hmm...tough crowd!

Nobunny like Polyscias? Ming Aralias to those of you more familiar with common names.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Nan,
I have no earthly clue what they are...but if they make you smile, my friend...it's all good!! :)

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Very pretty plants Nan,
Patti

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Nan, this is the first time I've seen these posted!! Those are beautiful. Maybe you can help me figure out which one my neighbor has. I've looked on the Rhapis website and I can't tell.
Here's a pic of the one I wanna get. The one being held beside it is the one I found in town, but I don't think they're the same.

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Close-up

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Here's the one I found trying to match it. It's labeled Ming Aralia 'Polyscias fruticosa'

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

A close-up of mine. Whatcha think? Do you know which one my neighbors is? You are right, they are hard to find.

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

lol! Chantell...thanks for that!
Thank you too, Patti.

Debbie! Glad to see another Polyscias 'fan' out there.

Your neighbors is fabulous..... I have one about that size.
I think, (IMHO) your neighbor's is P. fruticosa 'elegans', and I think yours is P. fruticosa. You got a NICE one, too! Where did you find it?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Nan, when I saw hers I went on a mission. I hit every nursery in the area looking with a printed pic of what I was looking for. Nothin. Then, I went to Lows for some rose ferterlizer and was lookin at their little house plants. Her plant wasn't even on my mind, then.......Hey, what is that???? There was only 1 and it didn't look very good, but I got it anyway. Who'd a thunk it?? This was last spring.
Do you know how big the different ones get? Hers is over 3' Tall. And notice how the branches grow. They go kinda out and then up. Mind go out and the leaves pull em down. My bark is dark green and hers is tan. I have no idea how to prune it. Maybe I could get her to give me some cuttings!!
And what do you think about their very pricey potting soil? What are you gonna use? I haven't repotted mine. Their website says not to unless it really rootbound and even then to just use a slightly larger pot.
Here's another shot of hers to show the branches.

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I did notice that right away, Debbie!

I'm wondering if it's her lighting....it must be ideal!

I'd have to look it up again, but there are different ones that have different growth patterns. (Some vertical....some horizontal...etc..)
Most of them can grow quite tall, but are slow to do so, and they seem to have a period in late winter where they shed leaves.....but as long as they're growing new ones, that's not a problem, it's perfectly normal.

There is one type that it quite small in stature....I'd have to get out my books and literature I've collected to find the names.....I'm afraid I don't have them stored in my memory bank today! lol!

My other ones are in a peaty mix with some 'humusy' soil (the black type) mixed in. They do like a light soil mix, rather than a heavy one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.