Columbines of all Sorts: Chapter two

Well I think the other thread is long enough, especially for those of us out in the boonies, still on dial up, or just to get back on track to talk about columbines, please just columbines. I know mine are almost ready to start blooming, so someone out there in Canada (or soferdig) (or it's adopted territories) must have some to show by now. Who wants to be first?

Thread started here. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/581852/#new

Here's William Guinness from last year just to mark the thread easier.

Thumbnail by echoes
(Zone 7b)

Oooh, echoes, where do I get seed for that beauty?

Izatahint? I may still have some lying around.

(Zone 7b)

It wasn't, actually, I was innocently asking for the supplier! (blush)

Well let me check first. But probably hardyplants.com would have them as well as a few others. I know you weren't hinting, sorry, just teasing. Anyway you don't have to hint, you can just ask. I don't mind. I think a lot of us are thinking of sharing seeds this fall anyway.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd love to show you some of my columbines. But I'm havng a war with those little green worms. One plant is totally eaten to the last 1" of it's stem,the others are trying hard to keep leaves. I am out there almost daily squishing the little things, so I hope to get some flowers, sometime.

(Zone 6a)

Here's some of my Nora barlow seedlings ready to flower :)

Steve

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

And here's 'Little Lanterns'

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
South of Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sorry not a great picture but I took this one today of my first Dwarf Columbine 'Cameo Mix' (Aquilegia flabellata). I winter sowed this in January 2005, it didn't sprout until June 1st, I planted it in the garden in September and this year it is the first to bloom of the many columbines I started last year. It is very cute and definitely dwarf at less than 6 inches tall. I would have to lie on my belly in the dirt or have an extra hand to get a good picture of the flowers as they are hanging downward. Hopefully more to come...

Susan

Thumbnail by durtcom
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I grew the cameo mix for the first time last year. The seedlings are all budded now and quite a few are pink, but some are just the standard blue. The pink ones will be a great addition to the blue however. Another lovely dwarf is A. buergeriana 'Calimero'. It is a purple and yellow bi-color. I'll post a pic when I get home this evening. I found it growing in a friends garden...they had no idea what type of columbine it was. I was fortunate to get some seed last fall and now I have 9 seedlings.

(Zone 6a)

Very nice Susan. Such nice colouring. I had A. flabellata for a number of years, and now I think I'm going to add 'Cameo' to my list of seeds to get.

Steve

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful, Brenda!
:) Donna

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

nice looking columbine all

echoes,you still on dial-up your not the only one me to.and is it ever slow,that columbine you have in the thread is a nice color,the flower lookes to be big .I like it.
Durtcom i have a columbine called cameo but it a tall one the colors are a dark purple that gradually goes to a pink in the same flower i going to have to take a pic of it when it flowers.But the one you have is a beauty how tall is it.

This message was edited May 18, 2006 1:40 PM

Susan, that's a lovely one. Looks like you are first. I thought Linda woud be first. Good luck with those squirmies, Linda. Thanks Donna and digd, it's not a great picture. I didn't open it before I sent it, but it's alright as a thumbnail. Can't do anything about it anyway.

South of Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

diggingdirt - It is under 6 inches tall. Here is a link to it in the plantfiles:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53764/index.html

Some better pictures from DG'er Weezingreens who I actually got my seeds from (thanks Weezingreens!)

Susan

ohhhhhhh nice looking columbine in that link.and i know weezin i've chated with him about another columbine call chololate sholders that he had, now that is a assum looking one .It's color is almost black with yellow stamins .I'm still looking for some seed for it maybe some day i will find some .One can never have to meny columbine just love them,the ones i have are growing like crazy and my new ones from seed are doing the same had to make my flower boarder longer this year so i would have a place for them.

i used this pic befor ,Its of my purple lady bonnets ,i have a red and a blue one as will it was the last ones left last year.

Thumbnail by digging_dirt
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is a pic of A. buergeriana 'Callimero'...it is just as small as flabellata but a little more elegant.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Just coming into bloom at our Bot. Garden is the unusual A. viridiflora...bizarre but with a lovely fragrance.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Seeing as we are mentioning flabellata, here is my flabellata 'Verna Alba' from last June. It is taller than the common dwarf blue (I think that dwarf one is correctly called 'Mini Star'). I also have the straight flabellata...blue and white but grows about 18" tall.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Ohhh, nice ones Todd. I hope you are going to be able to save seeds from them. Yes that's a hint, and not just from me.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

beautiful photos Todd.

(Zone 7b)

that last one is really lovely!

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Great pics as usual Todd!
Is it just the picture, or is your Verna Alba a little more thick or fleshy (trying to find the right words here) than other columbine? Whatever the case, it's elegant and I think I "need" one, lol.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Lovely pics everyone and I see with all these beauties I'm going to have to start growing Columbines again (after I get rid of the not-so-lovely, planted eons ago, Hell's Bells :( ).

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Erynne, verna Alba does indeed have thicker leaves than any other columbine I've grown. It comes quite true from seed so I will make a point of saving some. I am growing many new columbines from seed this year so it will be next year before they flower, but for those I do currently have (including a semiaquilegia that is blooming for the first time this year!) I will make a point of saving seed for our Canadian contingent.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Thanks Todd. Your camera captured the difference in the leaves quite well.
I've managed to get some semiaquilegia ecalcarata to germinate but I find them to be so slow in their growth and by next year I hope they do their thing. I did come across two of these semis that were on the dollar clearance skid at a nursery a few weeks ago (last year's stock apparently). I haven't had a chance to get them into the ground as yet but they're putting on several buds each. I will get a pic of these as soon as they open and even though I didn't grow these myself, I'm still quite excited about them. The roots look great and not all bound as I initially thought they might; they must've repotted them.

wow Todd add me to that list to please.
Todd i have one called Aquilegia flabellata var. pumila 'Alba'
is that like the Verna alba. the pic that came with the seed last year looks like that one.and the leaves are thicher and a odd color green
Have you heard of this columbine.
I'm going to have to get some shots of it man its so small ,i like it.

(Zone 6a)

Great photos Todd!!! I love the viridiflora. Is so unique! Also love the verna alba. Thanks for sharing them!

Steve

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I think Pumila Alba is the same as Verna Alba

thanks Todd buddy,i hope it is the same mine are getting ready to flower cant wate

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I thought of you all when I was at the cottage yesterday and found this patch of native columbines in bloom. It grows everywhere up there...

Thumbnail by andycdn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

And a close-up. Such cheerful, innocent colours!

Thumbnail by andycdn
(Zone 6a)

Andy - Where's your cottage? I have native columbines also, but mine are still in bud. Those ones are growing in full sun?
Very nice photos BTW! :D

Steve

(Zone 9a)

Here are a few of mine...not used tp posting pics, so hope I do this right :-)
Aquilegia 'Silver Edge' such a delicate pretty one.

Thumbnail by Wendy
(Zone 9a)

Origami Blue & White ....I love this one so much, I am starting the Pink & White and the Red & White from seed this year.

Thumbnail by Wendy
(Zone 9a)

Aquilegia Woodside variegated...I am not crazy about the blooms on this one...but just love the foliage!

Thumbnail by Wendy

Wow,WoW,Wow
what nice columbine andy and wendy hope you save some seeds from them to trade this fall.Put me on t he top of your list.
That red and yellow wow what a combo of color.
and the one with the vigarated leaves that wendy has is so kool.

This message was edited May 21, 2006 2:31 PM

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Here is one of my Blue Angel

Thumbnail by Starzz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.