Funky trunk

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

OK...so I needed *another* Dracaena marginata like.....well....a hole in the head, to quote someone else!
But....I had to get it!
My 7 y/o DD told me so!

I got this about a year ago, at a nearby WM...did anyone else see them?

Oh...the little 'visitor' isn't real....DD just thought he belonged there!

This message was edited May 17, 2006 2:17 PM

Thumbnail by Nan
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Nan, what a cool trunk! How do they do that?!!!!?

GH

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I don't know, GH!
They must begin the process while the plant is quite young and the stem is flexible....I imagine it would take *much diligence* to grow these!

I have a ficus with a 'funky trunk' too....will post that photo shortly.....

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Here's the ficus.....Benjamina, I'm pretty sure.

Thumbnail by Nan
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Very interesting. I have a Margy that I have had for years and is 7ft. tall and growing. She is going to grow herself out of a home pretty soon. :) I love the way yours is growing.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks makshi....it's good to see you back online!

Do you have a photo of yours? Would love to see one that tall!!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Those are so cool! I wonder if they tried growing them on their sides (to get them to reach for the light) and just rotated them to get the desired effect? Hmmm...

The visitor in the first picture looks very at home there. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Cheryl

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

I love your 2nd one. How did you do this?
Kaleem

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Kaleem!

I bought the plant this way.
It was sold as 'Corkscrew ficus'....I bought it on Yahoo Auctions, about 3 years ago.

I really don't know how they did it.....I'd remeber this being discussed elsewhere - I guess they diligently wrap the trunk of a young ficus around a bottle (I suppose they wire or tape it) and as it grows they continue to wrap, then when they have the 'look' they want, they break the bottle?

Cheryl....the trunk of the dracaena is, quite literally, tied in a knot!
I don't know how they do it, but I doubt I'd have the patience for it!

Thumbnail by Nan
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Nan,
WAY cool trunks!!! I like em!!
Chantell

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The Ficus is indeed Ficus benjamina. The 'corkscrew' moniker is simply something the seller added on to call attention to the twisted trunk.

In both cases, the plants are grown as whips (long plants that stay thin because lower branches and leaves are continually pruned off). This process keeps the stems thin and flexible. The Ficus is wrapped around and taped to a plastic tube & placed in full sun where the stem quickly lignifies (gets woody). The dracaena is simply tied in a knot & left to its own devices

Al

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Totally cool, Nan!
:) Donna

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for pointing me here Nan. They are different. I like them. Holly

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Love that ficus Nan, so interesting. Wonder if I can get a small one an train. nah, probaly not.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Holly & Sharon....I admit (LOL!) it is cool.....I didn't do the training, though....I bought it that way on Yahoo auctions about 5? years ago.

It was pretty good sized and very reasonably priced (less than 20 dollars). I know that if one similar were in a nursery or greenhouse or on ebay it would go for a lot more than that now.

I've gotta get my camera out and get a photo of my Brachychiton....it has a 'funky' caudex that reminds me of Venus de Milo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.