Summer Tomato Garden 2006 Part 4

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The other thread was getting too long. Let's see your maters....

Cricket was on a roll with her gorgeous mater plants. Let's see more!

I'm still following everyone's progress. I just don't have any recent pics to show right now. so far so good, though. The DH said we should be having some sweet 100's and romas before too long. :)

Michelle, I'm using Messenger, also. I'm so sorry your plants are not doing good right now, but maybe they'll perk up with that spray. Am sending positive thoughts and energy your way.
~Elaine~

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I use concentrate. Its cheaper. I pay $3.25 for a small bottle of copper at the Feed and Seed Store. I mix 3-5 tablespoons per gallon. So far I have gotten 4 gallon out of it. I might get another 2 gallons.
I do not use messenger. I don't even know what it is.
As far as fertilizers go--I use 13-13-13 , epsom salt, calcium nitrate.
I use calcium nitrate cause most of my plants are potted. No matter what science says-----If i do not use calcium nitrate , then i get more BER. So i stick to what works.
I had another plant with some spots on it yesterday. I did not spray my copper the other day like i should of. I got rid of the spotted plant and the plant next to it. And the puzzling thing is ---it is spotted at the top of the plant and not on the lower leaves like most disease do but i reconize the problem but will have to look it up to name it.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Elaine! I need all the positive thoughts for sure. I'm about to go out and inspect them.

Cricket, I'll see if I can find the concentrate. It was hard enough just locating the ready spray. I'll see if I can order the concentrate online. I actually had the guy at the nursery tell me that I was wrong and it was just wind and hail damage. ugh. What does the epsom salt do? Hmmm. wonder why your spots started at the top? Mine definitely have started at the bottom and working its way up.

Michelle

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm just getting started.... here's a baby park's whopper.

Billy

This message was edited May 16, 2006 11:08 AM

Thumbnail by Wargamer777
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Billy I have several grown up parks's whoppers and I've been telling them it's time to get ripe for ages now. They still aren't listening to me...

Thumbnail by araness
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Epsom salt has magnesium. It makes the nutrients in the ground or soil available to the plant. I do not know how--just know that it does. And alot of people use too much and burn their plants up. At the most--I would just sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon around each plant every week to two weeks.

I have been growing a Tomato plant in 5 gallons of Peat Moss to see how it grows. Its doin great. It had several suckers today and I cut them off. I was mostly wanting to see if it would grow in just peat moss and how often would I have to water it. It has been out in the open weather so It did get some rain. I haven't watered it much. But since the rain stopped, I had to water it today. Its been 4 days since the rain stopped. Besides a few sprinkles.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Hutto, TX

araness..........the leaves on your mater plant are so green, and spot free..........how do you do that??? I have lots of maters, and the maters are healthy, but my leaves are yellowing, and sickly looking....Help!!!!!!!! I have been spraying w/ daconil every two weeks, and then the rain, heat, and humitity came........I finally was able to spray them last night...........but I am afraid it's tooooooooooo late....

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I give credit to the Messenger and the EB's...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Horn, I do not think the copper spray did much. I am going to get some ortho garden disease control and spray them with that. Saint's plants look very healthy, hu? I'm beginning to think that Messenger stuff is pretty good. have you ever heard of it?

I am hoping to eat these Black from Tula sometime soon...but they are taking forever.

Michelle

Thumbnail by Tomatoholic

Well, the DH said we might have a Roma to pick tonight. *jumping up and down* I will get him to take a picture before he touches it, though! LOL
~Elaine~

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ohh a BFT *drool* I am so dying to find out what they taste like...and M you have messenger being mailed today.

Saint

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I am going to pick a big fat Azoychka tonight. It is almost as big as a softball. I can't wait.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

No red maters here but had fried green maters for lunch.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah Elaine!! Tell me how your Roma tastes. Mine is just now blooming. He is in the sun for only 4 hours, so I'm not surprised that he is behind eveyrone else.

Saint, you are toooooo kind!! Thank you friend. I will let you know the moment I receive it. I will be happy to share with you my BFTs...come on up!

Fool, you bragger! ;)

Cricket, yummmeeee.

Okay, I've been gone all day...I need to go outside and check on my maters and see how that bacterial spot is doing.

Michelle

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ohhh Cricket *drool*

BTW went to the store today to buy more Bug b Gone and it seems they have changed the packaging to a red bottle and added MAX to the name. Just a heads up for you who, like myself run in and just look for the normal bottle then start raving when you can't find it to only have a 12 year old sales clerk hand you a bottle..

Also have a Black Krim getting that yellowish I'm about to start turning color...so now I'll have something other than the Stupice and the Sugary's to eat.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Do yall like the flavor of that stupice? I didn't look in the plant files---but does it have sweet or acidy flavor? I ordered some seed today. Not growing it just yet---its for next year. Plus I will have extra seeds to trade. I also ordered some Tomato books today---like I don't already have enough. But you know every book I have says something differant. Put them all together and surely I will get something right. I already have 6 books ---4 completely about tomatoes and the rest are on veggie gardening. I ordered 2 more books today. Growing tomatoes in soil and soiless media. And the other was on Soilless Culture of Greenhouse tomatoes. In addition I ordered some books on European Cucumbers.

Cricket

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Stupice is alright...maily growing it because it's an early tomato and from what I've heard it's better than the others, although Tamara likes Glacier. For me in the EB it has a slight acid flavor with a hint of sweet.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Saint, YOu say Glacier has a mild acid flavor?
Will have to check that one out too.

I am an acid lover. Rather have acid over sweet but combination is good too when you are desperate.

Yeah I like that acid *bite* :)
~Elaine~

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

no Stupice...I'll ask Tamara what Glacier taste like...she likes it more than Stupice but she is one of the few that does.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

lot's of dust on the buffet....

that's on the buffet....attachment please Debbie, that's what they frequently have to say to me at work.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

I know a THUG of a green zebra that had better ripen that load of fruit by Sunday--its in the way of my rangoon creeper. Overhead watering......pretty dry down here. Yesterday's the first time. We didn't get the weekly knock you out of bed with the thunder rain here this week...what's up with that?

Thumbnail by dmj1218
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Whooopee, I have tomatoes on 2 plants that are starting to get a yellow/orange tinge! The other 6 plants are a bit behind, having been started later.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I want the bronze glassware set!!!!!!
I collect bronze.

I know--its not tomatoes but---I can drink homemade mater juice from the glass.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

even a bronze chandelier---that I still have to move from old house.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

oops that was blurry

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Debbie, those are the best lookin' tomatos with color from Texas so far. Way to beee....!
Flip

Thanks Flip--a little squash and peppers don't hurt either.

I think a pink daylilly in the front? Whatcha think? Gotta love rangoon creepers....

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Okay y'all we did it! We split that little bitty Roma tonight. Might have been a tinsy winsy impatient ... but hey it sure was good! LOL The DH got a pic of it before he picked it, so I'll post tomorrow for proof!
~Elaine~

For color, we got the blue plate special tonight.....azoychka back,goliath front, solar set west, hard rocks to the east.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

and let's not forget the black prince...guess who's coming for dinner tonight?

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Debbie, Fool - How'd you all like the Azoychka? It grew very well and looked great for me but I thought the taste was average at best..
Flip

Taste was good... Michael and Robin like that and Black Prince best; but production is abyssmal on such a huge plant...I won't grow it again. Goliath tastes about the same and much more productive.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Saint, my Stupice triplets are getting bigger, but have not turned color yet. Early? Good grief...doesn't feel early to me. I planted the ol' boy April 1st. What is taking so long? :) My Sugary is finally producing. I see the bacterial spot spread a little bit on some of the plants I think due to a very cool night. It will be hot and sunny today so I hope it slows down. I'm going to spray the stuff in a few days. Afraid of too much spray and killin' them completely.

Debbie, dang...them looks yummy. Please tell me how you liked the Hard Rock b/c my HR is covered it tomatoes. they are so cute they way they come out egg shapped. I am hoping the HR survives its bacterial problem. He is the worst off of all 22 plants. But he has about 15 maters on him.

Michelle

ps. Elaine...how wonderful that you and DH got to eat your first mater. Was it good? Where is the picture? Did you get my dmail?

This message was edited May 18, 2006 8:30 AM

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Michelle don't get your hopes up on Sugary I have been less than delighted with the taste although the stupice hasn't been bad at all...I think you'll enjoy the Sungold much more for a cherry tomato.

I01, How was your Roma? Mine are all large enough to turn so I'm just waiting for that first break in color to start drooling.

Michele--write up in PlantFiles on HR's, will probably grow them in fall for production only (cooking purposes)--no disease on mine...azoychka is the only one showing any distress yet.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is the Azoychka that I picked this morning.

I did not realize the picture was blurry until just looking at it.

Thumbnail by foolcontrol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.