Trying to Identify A Tomato

Richwood, OH

I recently went to a fast food restaurant with my wife. We normally hate the tomatoes they use because they have such little flavor. This time though, the tomatoes they used were absolutely amazing. And I kept one and planted the seeds. They did grow but I do not know enough about tomatoes to actually identify what kind it is, can anyone tell from images of young and green versions? Do I need to wait until it is ripening before trying? Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Yes I know I’m holding cherry tomatoes too, but the green toms are what I’m interested in)

Thumbnail by emuguru Thumbnail by emuguru
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is very difficult to identify a tomato variety from pictures. You can classify to some degree. Example that is a "round" tomato, I would expect it to be one of the round reds.since restaurants rarely use other colors. You can tell from your plant whether it indeterminate, determinate, or dwarf. If the restaurant bought locally grown tomatoes, you might be able to track it down. While commercial tomatoes are a limited number of varieties, they all have similar appearance making visual identity difficult.

Richwood, OH

That all makes sense thanks for the info. Yes it was red for sure. And definitely round. And I don’t know if what is growing is true to the parent or if it had been cross pollinated. I have been searching through photos and classifications of tomatoes and you’re right it’s difficult because there are just so many. Thanks again for taking the time to reply ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.