My Episcia

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Here's a larger picture of my E. Dianthiflora.

Candace

Thumbnail by candace101
Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Hi Candace,

Oh that is so pretty...I wonder if that is the one they also call lace flower....thanks for sharing!

Joanne

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulations on your Gorgeous Episcia Candace.
Patti

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Beautiful plant Candace. How long have you been growing it ! It's An Alsobia , Gesneriad family of African violet. No longer concidered Epsica but an Alsobia !
http://www.robsviolet.com/alsobia.htm

Alsobias dianthiflora. Very highly recommended, even for novices. Small, lush, deep forest-green leaves and frilly white blooms. Extremely vigorous grower makes a great potted plant or hanging basket

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Nice!

Don't you *hate* it when they re-classify plants?!
(Though they do it for good reasons!)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I do Nan my Alsobia Cygnet one of my favorite plants to grow was registered as an Epsica in 1964 . Then they decided the Alsobia ( there are a lot of different one) were no longer EPsicas but clas of their own.
Now they are Alsobias. love them !

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Yep...always beautiful no matter what you call them!

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks to everyone for the compliments, and to Violet_Treasure for update on the name of the plant. I've only had this plant for a couple of months now. I found this one at Wal-Mart, of all places! I have given it one haircut, but it's putting out new shoots and leaves all the time.

Unfortunately, as I was picking off dead leaves, I bumped the flower and it fell off. :( But I'm not discouraged, as I saw what appear to be some new buds forming, so I could see new flowers soon!

Candace

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Wal Mart WOW yes it's a Gesneriad. Alsobia close family to African violets. It is grown like a bushy trailer, the fuller the better. Each branch crown plant will open two flowers only at a time and they last about 3-4 days. So pulling out leaves abd thinnibg is not what you want to do with this type of plant.
Tp progate is easy it shoots out baby stollons like Spider plants to. They can be cut and potted in their own pots to grow more plants to share ! They are great in hanging baskets.
In the African violet and Gesneriad forum in the stickys second one has lots of info how to grow Alsobias.

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Thank you so much, Violet_Treasure, for the great information! I'll go over to the AV forum now and see what else I can learn!

Candace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.