Delphiniums?

Louisville, KY

Tabasco: thank you for the munchkin link, looks very interesting, and if we get a chance we'll go check them out. It does seem that the plant breeders are missing the boat by not trying to produce more cultivars of our native plants.
Welcome Lesley: Yep I'm going to keep trying too, haven't put in any yet this year because my planting areas are about filled up already, I'm going to spray some more sod today to start on a new bed, will have to give it a few days for the roundup to work then attack with the tiller and work in compost and other amendments. I'll read the link on PH to try to get an idea what needs to be added.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've been frustrated by delphiniums not coming back, but I keep replacing them anyway. This year I'm trying the Summer colors series, and I added more compost than usual to the soil. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this time more will survive. I swore when I put them in that this would be the last year for trying, but we'll see. :)

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

veeja- I have seen seeds for Delphinium nudicaule that has really red flowers- I think most people do find it to be annual, I think it's a wild flower on the west coast- Then there is Delphinium cardinale- also west coast native, and bigger- carolina larkspur, Delphinium carolinia (not sure of the name any more, all this comes from a google search!) is pale blue, so not the one you were talking about!-- I have never tried red- but it sounds intriguing! anyway, nice looking delphs in your picture about to bloom- are yours that close out there? darn, don't they always need staking before you get to it!

winging-good luck- smaller plants (and cheeper) work better for me.

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

only one bloom fell so no staking for me. that picture was yesterday today a couple of blooms are open. Lowes had carolina marked as a delph, being a lark would explain why it never came back, I bought a pink one and planted it so we shall see. mine are all lt blue.when my seeds are ripe I would love to trade for red or pink with someone
carol

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I've had the best luck with "English" Delpheniums.
I got mine from Jackson & Perkins.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

I planted these 2 delphineums 3 years ago. I have not amended my soil for 2 years now. I flood irrigate twice a week. The plants are mounded between rows for irrigatyion. I don't do anything extra for them. Just enjoy the beauty.
Last year (even without deadheading) they came back very full in the fall. They have been beautiful. Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee

another view:
Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Marie - looks like you have the answer! They are gorgeous!

Thanks Ivy. I do have fun in my garden. Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Gorgeous!!

Thanks ss

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

WOW. Gorgeous. Those are different than my delphiniums. I have two plants, and one is doing okay, the other one not so much.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Is that columbine coming up in front?

Thanks,
Ivy, It is a columbine. It came to me along with the delphiniums, A nice surprise. It has bloomed for about a month with beautiful frilly double flowers. Marie

A picture I took today of the columbine in front of the delphs:

Thumbnail by MyRee
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I think my neighbor has that same one growing up out of her brick patio. It just came up there.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Columbine will do that... LOL

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

Mine are opening, I also noticed that I planted some louisana iris in with them and it is acting as a stake to hold the plant up. pic to follow

Thumbnail by veeja3
Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

here is the iris stake

Thumbnail by veeja3
Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

whoops stake shows up better in first pic

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.