spider plant

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

these spider plants were given to me by another d.g. member about a month ago. they are doing great and enjoying hanging on the porch :) they will become houseplants again in winter.

kelly

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Kelly, that is a very nice spider plant you have t here. Don't you just love the little flowers? I had to find out the hard way that they don't like city tap water. Yikes! So, now I let it sit it out overnight or even several days before watering it. I can't afford to water with distilled water, so I guess I will suffer some brown tips. LOL

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

wow is that what causes the brown tips? i don't have well water so that may be my problem with brown tips. glad you brought that up :)

kelly

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I have always been told that the brown tips are from not enough fertilizer. They should be fertilzed everythimg you water. I don't, but try to fertilze a lot more that everything else.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I have read that it could be caused by fluoride/chlorine in water (which you can avoid by letting your water sit out for a day or two before watering). Also I read that the brown edges are caused by lack of humidity.

I got rid of the brown tips by letting my water sit out but I can't get myself to care enough about the humidity. However, I've noticed that the babies always look perfectly healthy. Even the year old ones that I haven't rooted and given away yet. lol

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

the one of mine pictured doesn't have brown tips. it is outside on the porch. i think the humidity of the area i live in may help. then again the one in my bathroom has brown tips and i use the same water so i am clueless lol.

kelly

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

oh wait i bet i know a factor in mine... the one in bathroom is in normal cheap potting soil. the one pictured is in miracle gro moisture control mix. the moisture control could be my key i bet!

kelly

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

We have a big one pot stuck between the big tree arch opening there's a v. it has sat there going on two years hangs out both sides ! the side that gets most sun gets brown tips we just cut them off the other side does not. It has lived threw 90 degree's down to 40 and stayed up there threw hurricanes and it's still growing, babies, flowers and healthy looking too. lol

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

wow allison glad it is a tough plant to make it through those hurricanes!

kelly : )

Cincinnati, OH

I was always told that the brown tips are from not keeping it watered properly. I use plain old Cincinnati water from the tap, I even spray it with my kitchen sprayer and it it quite happy. I never let the water sit out and have never had a problem.
Kelly

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Our Spider plant that has lived in our tree going on two year the front of the plant getting the most sun get's brown tips we trim them back does not. We had it on a hanger but it was so heavy and hubby staked the pole . Then I said stick it in the tree. In this morning sun/shade garden is three tree's and zillions of cool plants live there !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

beautiful plant allison : )

kelly

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks Kelly ! I think it's cool how it's been happy there so long !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.