Grape Ivy info please

Roy, UT

I just bought myself two beautiful big grape ivy plants. I don't know to much about them except to treat them like any other Ivy. I am going to put them both in our bedroom which has a south facing window and a west window. I am hoping that will be enough light. I just found this site and am thrilled. It will take me weeks to check everything out here. To make new little baby plants can I just clip and stick in water and wait for them to root. I can't seem to find anything on "Grape Ivy" Thank you, Nana

First you may be suprised to learn that Grape Ivy is not an ivy per se, it is in the grape family and not related to english ivy at all. The latin name is Cissus rhombifolia. You'll have better luck finding information if you look under the latin name. I've never tried rooting grape ivy in water but I suppose it might work. I actually avoid rooting plants in water because they sometimes suffer transplant shock when placed in soil. Roots that are formed in water have a much different structure than roots that are formed in soil. I used to work for a nusery that grew them by the thousands from cuttings. Simply cut a stem about 5 or 6" long just below a node (the swelling on the stem where a leaf comes out). Remove the lower leaf, dip the stem in a rooting hormone and stick it in a moist potting mix, make sure the node is below the soil line. You can put about 6 cuttings in an 8" pot. Cover with plastic with air holes so excessive moisture can escape and place in a bright but not sunny spot. Within a few weeks you'll see new growth, at that time gradually move into a brighter location and remove the plastic. You can leave all the cuttings in the pot and they will gradually fill in and make a nice bushy plant. Here is a link with some good info on different varieties and general care http://www.rhapisgardens.com/cissus/

Good Luck!

Nan,
I've had great success with cuttings and now have several grape ivies around the place. Follow Jersey's advice. I don't think you can go wrong.

Roy, UT

See this is why I have come to this message board. People seem to know what they are talking about. I have always started plants by water, now I know why some have lived and some did not. I have never used the rooting homone before. I think I better go get some. Thanks for the info.
Nana

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Grape ivies do better in bright indirect light: A north or east facing window is best. Direct sun tends to bleach older leaves, although new growth can adapt. In addition grape ivies do better in cooler temps which also argues for a a north window.

Their cuttings will root in water or soil. Whether rooted or not, cuttings placed in soil are in a fragile state until soil roots are developed. Maintaining an evenly moist, porous soil mix is critical. Rooting hormone is of marginal value, so don't knock yourself out looking for it. Enclosing the cuttings in a sealed plastic bag will maintain both the air and soil moisture levels. I would suggest using as many cuttings as you can comfortably fit into a pot. This will make for a fuller plant.

Watch for powdery mildew on your grape ivy.

Roy, UT

If I do get the powdery mildew on some of the leaves does that mean I am watering it to much and it is getting to much humidity????. Can I just pinch off the leaves that have the mildew on them? I will be having them in the bedroom with a south and west window but I have the mini blinds in there so I can adjust the light they will get. I really want to thank everyone for their help. Nana

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Nana - The causes of powdery mildew are hard to track down. The best explanation I have heard is that a change in temperature, from warm to cool, causes condensation on the leaves. This condensation will provide fertile ground for powdery mildew spores if they are present.

Grape ivies would be a much more popular plant - as they were at one time - if it weren't for the chronic powdery mildew problem that they have.

Will

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.