Post-Op Bariatric Proceedure II

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tplant, bravo!!! 5 lbs a month is nothing to sneeze at (I did hear you sneeze, I know I did)! If my DH could lose 5 lbs a month, he'd be the man I met 9 yrs ago in a year! Am I making sense?

xxxxx, Carrie

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

araness -- Sounds delicious! I'll check with my nutritionist and hope it will be approved although I don't know about the cream. I know I would love it!!! Thanks...

Carrie ---- Does your hubby read my entries? I'd like to help him with some of his challenges though it would require a lot of will power on his part. I can use DG e-mail if he would prefer. Another terrific diet which my cardioligist was personally on and lost more than 60lbs and kept it off was the "Atkins Diet" whereas you eat all you want but easy on the carbs.
The "South Beach Diet" is also very good but it requires a full time prepareation chef just to get the foods ready for consumption. However if you have the time and are willing to prepare his meals on a full time basis then try it. What I mean to say it takes a lot of time setting the menu. Read the book and see for yourself. Also tell your DH not to go by what other people say about diets they have been on and their negative remarks. Don't let him get discouraged. Diets don't work because people don't work the diets and rather that they did not stay with their regimine they'll simply blame the diet instead of accepting their own responsibility of not following the diet. Hey? We've all done it and I am no exception...

I could not eat a thing yesterday after my band adjustment and though I tried I became nautious just as the doctor said I would for a couple of days. I can feel my fat melting away without any hunger pangs. Lordy! "I love this new way of life!" I will go to the store today and buy some more soup and will try a can of Dinty Moore Stew. Also buy some Oyster Crackers for my soup just like my mother used to put in my soup when I was a child, many many years ago.(I still miss her.)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tplant -

My DH not only doesn't read DG, he would be maximally embarassed and angry with me if he knew I was posting about him. In fact I better say goodbye.

xxx, Carrie

Here it is almost 1:30 pm and after having my Carnation Instant Breakfast and taking my vitamins this morning followed by a cup of Vanilla-Nut decaf coffee all of which I had to slowly sip just as the MD said, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Whoever thought that so little could be so satisfying? Still no hunger pangs but plenty of "feeling good" results. What I must get used to is eating no more than a half cup of solid food and chewing thoroughly but eating and swallowing small amounts. What a difference from my old ways of having an overflowing plate and than going back for refills followed by one or two cups of soda or some other kind of sugar drink which I thought I could never do without? Man oh man was I ever wrong? Of course the painless surgery has everything to do with it but prior I never dreamed I could live like this and be happy and very healthy as all my present medical tests have shown. At one time my cholesterol reading was 285. Now, without any medication, it now reads 210 but my tryglcerides are normal which is the most important. With continued loss of weight my readings will get still lower. I no longer take seven or eight meds per day buy now take only two and soon only one.
My doctor said I can now eat anything but I don't desire junk foods or anything that would be detrimental to my new way of life. Right now I will take a break and have a can of Campbells Chicken w/stars soup and continue to drink lots of water and enjoy all the melons that I want...Sacrifice?? Right, I never had it so good!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

T-plant,
You'll definitely lose more weight eating like that! Do you worry about the sodium in Campbell's soups?
xxxxx, Carrie

No because that is the only product I eat that has a high sodium intake. I do watch my sodium intake but the fact that I also drink lots of water which helps to flush my system. Water is my best friend and I drink at least 64oz per day sometimes more. The salt doesn't stand a chance. Hey maybe that is why I'm melting away? You see, I was once an Old Salt? How corny!!! LOL

Today I weighed in at 282 only a half pound less than last week but a difference in girth. My size 50 pants have become very loose fitting and I can definetly see the difference in my girth. I have no bloat and can see parts of my body that I could never see before? A very good feeling. I would imagine that I will lose a good amount of weight this month because I can eat no more than a half cup of solid food so I must make certain to ingest large amounts of protein. I have been drinking twice as much of my protein drink than before and am feeling quite well. What the doctor did was slowly adjust my band over time so that now all I can eat is a half cup of solid food and that is factual. Liquids are not a problem as long as I sip slowly. It has taken some getting used to as I used to wolf down my food like a glutton (slightly exagerrated) but now I eat like a "gentleman." Anyone for a white glove dinner? One thing for sure -- I'd be a cheap dinning date! Never get past the appetizer....

Tplant
I haven't posted lately but you're doing such a wonderful job. :) You know that the amount of weight lost isn't just measured by those scales. So glad you realize that! :) Keep up the good work. Hmmm, you most definitely would be a cheap date! LOL

~Elaine~

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

TPlant - You're doing great! Keep it up!! ~ Suzi :)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tplant how did the group meeting go? Been up in the air here so forgot to ask? Did you get to meet new people? try new things you might like to eat that are good for you?

Keep up the great work!

Saint

Saint --- I am going to a special food and drink sampling which is for bariatric patients. The industry is really getting into it! Don't know much about it at this time but I'm sure it will be interesting. It is this coming Thursday.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Can't wait to hear how it went..sounds like it will be intresting and lets hope they have info on the samplings in case you want to go home and make them. IO1 send me a marinade recipe that would be perfect as it has no sugars, low carbs etc. Just lime juice, cumin, garlic and pepper. We made fajita out of it but next time I just might grill the chicken for stand alone it was THAT good.

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Tplant.. :-)

I'm not sure if I posted right after your surgery or not, but I have been following your progress since the post started. I just wanted you to know that more than just the people who have been posting are also watching your progress and rooting for you! Good job and glad the whole process is something you are finding tolerable.

:-)

Thank You All !! As mentioned prior I am on the liquid diet but DO NOT HAVE ANY HUNGER PANGS AT ALL ! I've been drinking a lot of liquids, eating soft foods like chicken and egg salad in 2oz portions, a lot of melons and fat free soups with bread and butter,(half slice bread) and occasionally some ,moist chicken. I can't tolerate any type of solid or especially dry food as it settles like a rock in my esophogus and makes me nautius. I don't mind eating this way for now as long as the pounds and inches keep rolling off. I have been drinking a lot of the "Sobe" diet drinks and find them to be very enjoyable. Would never know they were diet drinks. Light yogurt with fruit is another goodie for me as it does satisfy along with fresh cherries @$3lb but worth it for now. The new melons like cranshaw, yellow canary, persian and honeydew are on my favorite list. If they weren't so expensive I would eat more of them. Glad I'm growing them in my Earthbox garden.

Another Friday and the scale says "279" pounds down three pounds from last Friday's kind of disappointment with a loss of only a half pound for that week. This makes me feel a lot better. It has to be almost twenty years since I was down to this weight? It feels good and I know I'll be in for a lot of pleasant Friday weigh-in surprises. God bless the doctor that created the bariatric proceedure....

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

TPlant, great weigh-in day!!!! I'm getting so I look forward to Friday and the good news.....makes my day!
Pati

I am totally amazed at the small amount of food that I eat and yet feel so well and have no cravings nor hunger pangs. I feel so grateful to have this proceedure. Wish I could encourage others to do so? It is truly wonderful! At this rate I may change "Tplant" to "Slim"!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

tplant, did you get the bypass, where they reconnect your innards, or just the lapband?

I have a couple of friends who had the total bypass, and they both had horrible experiences with it.

You're doing well, and it certainly sounds like it worked great for you!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

T, I definitely think you should change your name to reflect the new you. I was once 'new swan' to reflect my feeling of no longer being an ugly duckling. At least 'slimmer' if not 'slim'. What does T stand for? SlimTim would be fun, or SlimJim.
LOL, Carrie

ps time for more pictures!

Melissa ---I had the lap-band. How long ago did your friends have the by-pass and what were their age? I belong to a bariatric group for almost a year and all are doing very well. Men seem to do a little better but frame of mind is vital. If any of us go back to junk food and sugar it won't work. Those with by-pass get violently sick if they consume sugar in excess. Does this circumstance fit the action of your friends? Also depending upon how long ago they had the proceedure makes a big difference. Prior to three years or longer the surgery was complex as the individual had a large incision down the chest to the abdomen and a long, painful recuperation time. Now, everything is laproscopic with five tiny incesions. I was walking and home in less than 24hrs.

Carrie ---- Originally I applied for Materman but I guess someone already had that name so I saw my name changed to Tplant.

tplant, the one friend, male, just had it done last November. He got a horrible infection from his, he's lost 88 pounds, but, spent most of the winter in and out of the hospital, and stillhas a drainage tube coming out of his abdomen in the front. Though he's lost weight, he still doesn't feel "right" if that makes sense? He started out at 322.

The other, a woman, had it done about a year ago, I guess, and same thing, she's had all kinds of infections and problems since it was done, she doesn't have the drainage tube, but just had a miserable experience, was off work for like 3 months, I'm not sure how much she's lost.

I asked because I personally would be interested in just the lap band, not the whole bypass thing, but my doctor is against it. He suggested I just do the diet instead. LOL I could do that, but would have to buy medication to help with appetite suppression. Problem is, in Ohio, they can only prescribe the drugs in 2 week intervals, and those 14 pills are almost 100 bucks. Sigh...

Congrats to you though, you sound like you're really pleased with it, and you're doing great on your diet! I read all of your threads last night. :-)

Melissa ---- I did not have the gastric-by-pass because it is not recommended for people over 65 and I am 68 with multiple health problems. We have (my bariatric group) about 50 patients, some with by-pass and some with gastric-by-pass and none of us have health problems? As a matter of fact it is quite the opposite. Did they both have the same surgeon? The incisions are so small? Only about an inch or two and are completely sealed by a surgical super glue. Can it be from an unsterile surgical room or instruments? I doubt it! Don't see how this could happen? Why not call the Cleveland Clinic and talk to someone about the proceedure. My GP was against the process until some of his patients had it done and he saw the change in weight but also personality and all for the best. Now he endorses it!
As far as a medicated diet, what happens when one stops taking the meds? The appetite and bad eating habits come right back and all that money is wasted. I do not take any diet meds and have absolutely no desire for the fattening foods I used to eat. Wish you could come here and meet my surgeon and have the surgery done here. It really was a pleasant experience and you would have your own suite in the hospital though you would be there less than 24hrs.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I hate how our insurance company puts conditions on the surgery. BCBS of TX you have to be on a weight loss program for a year, have nutrional leasons as well as a go through a series of sessions with a shrink. And that's all for them to consider it..

That is almost what I did except for the part of dieting for a year. As stated before "I've always been on diets." My doctor backed me up on this and seeing a phsyc takes a couple of peaceful hours. The nutritionist session is vital so that you understand the food change and what to expect. Monthly meetings are mandatory prior to surgery for approxiametely four months. This way you get to meet the people that had the surgery and they can tell you what it was like and also all your questions will be answered either by the doctor's assistant, the nutritionist or patients so when you decide to have the surgery you are well advised as what to expect. They won't let you just walk into the hospital and have the surgery?
If you are serious, talk to your doctor or the surgeon. Call your hospital and ask about bariatric surgery and a doctor"s name. They have a way of working with your doctor about the weight loss program and in my state it is a six month plan. That is about how long it takes prior to surgery.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant- Congratulations on your weight loss and for having the courage to have your Bariatric Procedure done. I have a close friend in her 30's that was about 70-80 pounds overweight. She had the procedure done, and although I do not know how much she has lost she looks fantastic and she feels fabulous. To see her smile and to witness her confidence change has been a blessing to me.

From reading the posts, you have the right attitude. It is good to see you so excited and to be succeeding. It is very encouraging.

Keep it up!!

Never felt better! Well I shouldn't say that. When I was in my twenties, you see there was this girl and we ========= Whoops! Not on DG....

Hollywood, FL

tplant--I was reading a tomato thread and saw you mention this thread. So glad you did--It was very interesting (and inspirational) reading all through your trials and tribulations in one sitting. From not knowing if you would qualify for the surgery all the way through to its successful conclusion. Boy, I LOVE a story with a happy ending.

Not feeling hungry and being satisfied with small portions must be a wonderful feeling. That's the problems with all these diets-constantly feeling deprived. Too bad they can't invent a pill to do the same thing--but every time some rats lose some weight on a great new drug the kicker is that it's years away from being developed. Congrats on following through with your decision to do something once and for all--losing the weight will improve your health so much and you have such a positive attitude you could give lessons to supports groups!!!

(I read some of the other threads too about wheelchair gardening. Some requested designs -- I have some elevated beds that could be used for that purpose so I will post some pictures.)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Please do, Cowpea - you "read some of the other threads too about wheelchair gardening. Some requested designs -- I have some elevated beds that could be used for that purpose so I will post some pictures."

Another Friday and another weigh-in. As you may have noticed I weigh myself once a week only. Today my scale says 274 and that is down a big five pounds from last week? WOW!!!!! That is the most weight loss in one week that I have accomplished so far. Totally amazing and I can feel it. Down ten more pounds and that will be the weight I was in my forties. This is like taking a step back in time. If only the rest of my cells would follow the trend.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

FIVE POUNDS? WOW!!! If they ever have a poster boy for the lap-band you should be it. What a great success story.
Pati

That's wonderful! I think the real success is your determination to stick to your plan. It's truly amazing to watch your progress! I agree with Pati. :-)

THANKS BUT IT IS EASY TO STICK TO MY PLAN ! I am rarely hungry and when I am I eat very little, about 2-4ozs of solid food but drink a lot of liquids.

good for you T Plant!! I'm happy for you!

Champaign, IL(Zone 5a)

t plant
ive been looking into bypass and lap belt surgery....for a few years following chat rooms etc.. you are heartening me to talk to the docs about it ......again... my primary okd me for the surgery but the old f surgeon said he will not do lap bands as they are unsafe but as i reserch it it looks like thats not true at all .....please keep posting!
and thanks
taya

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol Tplant I found 3 of those pounds...that's why you lost the extra. It better be water weight or ya'll gonna hear me screamin down in FL.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tplant,

I tried on some summer clothes* today and I think I might have your other 2 pounds! At least! Right where the zipper of one's pants would normally zip up, mine wouldn't.

*In the frozen North, there is an inevitable but exhausting process that happens twice every year, called getting out the summer (or winter) clothes and putting away the winter (or summer) ones. I mean wool, for instance, is hardly worn in the summer, and seersucker, sleeveless, bathing suits and what not we tend not to wear in the winter.

But 5 pounds is major! That will make up for some of your less exciting weeks. You deserve to feel great about yourself right about now, and I hope you do! Hip hip hooray!

xxxxx, Carrie

Taya ---- Some doctors are against it! I guess they will never agree 100% on anything. My general practioner was against it at first until two of his patients had the surgery. Now he is all for it.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Tplant

I hope you are having a wonderful day and that your Birthday Wishes come true. I know this is one of your Happiest Birthdays ever!!

Since it was your birthday, I went to your member page to see if you had a current thread going so I could post my birthday greetings. What I found was a remarkable story of determination. I wish you could share your experience with everyone.

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I posted a link to this thread in the Parking Lot Forum, very impressive progress you've made and I wanted to help spread the word.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/619657/

Judy

Happy birthday, Tplant!
Hugs&blessings ... Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.