When you bought your last plant container, what was most important?

There are a total of 505 votes:

Size (was it big or small?)
(115 votes, 22%)
Red dot

Material (what's your favorite?)
(31 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Aesthetics (color, shape, texture, or ... ? )
(130 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Price
(63 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Functionality (it suited my needs)
(121 votes, 23%)
Red dot

I don't buy any containers - I scrounge up whatever I need
(45 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

1 st is size
next is color
then I look at price and try to figure how quick I can get my plant in it .
My wife doesn't drive , so if shes not with me I have to buy at least 2 and a bag of dirt .
I learned a long time ago to unload car hide / put away the stuff , then go in house .
The wife learned a long time ago to have something to eat when I come home and she "finds " what I bought while I eat .

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Really I consider all of the aspects listed, but if the container is not the right size, the others don't matter! The last containers I bought were terra cotta colored plastic for some large ferns that will go on the porch in the summer and the sunroom in the winter. They were large, lightweight, and inexpensive!

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Size, then color. The last containers I bought were 5 inch pots and saucers, for my african vioets :)

Janis

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I was going to say exactly what Janis said. :)

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Color and size are perhaps the most important. They should be similar enough in size, shape, material and appearance that they do not clash . That applies primarily to the glazed pots that are so common now. Smaller stuff is more a matter of function than anything.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Aesthetics are important to me. Of course the pot has to be the right size for the plant(s) going into it, but if it does not suit both the plant itself and the space it is going to inhabit it won't get bought by me :-) I like things to look like they've always been there.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

As usual, there's no "all of the above". If it's a really terrific container, I'll buy it and then figure out what to put in it. If I know what plant is going in it, that then dictates the size and material. Usually it's a pretty haphazard combination of everything!

xxxx, Carrie

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have some sentimental favorite pots that always remind me of the people who put them in my life. Like terra cotta for most plants, but when bigger you have to go plastic for weight. Like azalea pots, the shorter ones? Like neutral or simple pots because I want the plant to be the focus.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I chose function because applying the first rule of design{ form follows function} rules out the rest as top contenders. My needs are surely different than some of yours and in this instantance size and function were a toss up in a way. Price is probably the last consideration in the process unless one states right from the start I must do this for X amount reguardless. If you are only doing a few and don't care what the thing looks like functionability is still tops. My last purchase was 1300 2 inch pots with lock in fit trays 32 to a tray. The plants I am growing don't need more dirt than that. I can grow 32 plants in the same space as I can grow 18 in 4 inch pots with half the cost for dirt. I should have done this way before now but I am such a slow learner lol. BTW I am all done using small 4 pack liners for every thing except seed starting of a few things like lobelia and Alissum sp? lol some things never change.

Pretty amazing what conclusions you come to if you observe a commerical operation.

Off subject I was treated this morning to the sight of a humming bird nest just to the side of our patio door. Having been pretty observant to the birds for over 50 years in this country this is a first what a treat we are now going to use a different door we can see the nest she made from the door hope she sticks it out. Ernie running before Dave gets the HOOK lol.

This message was edited May 8, 2006 10:01 AM

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9a)

AesthetiIcs.

I am working on creating a Japanese-inspired atmosphere for the garden in my backyard. The last container I "acquired" was to be placed near a specific focal point in the garden. I needed something that would be a compliment without distraction.

After spending several days scouring the local nurseries and specialty stores, I then spent several hours surfing through the net, All to no avail. By sheer luck, I was able to find precisely what was needed in one of my husband's "childhood keepsake" boxes. Despite all the qualifications I had been looking for, the perfect container turned out to be a spent cannon shell!

Chryse

p.s. (Although I had thought to plant Irish Moss or something similar in the container, I've discovered that the canon shell works best if it stands alone).

This message was edited May 8, 2006 11:37 AM

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Other! E - All of the Above except for the last one. Most of the scenarios come into place, so I couldn't choose just one.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i just bought a nice big pot and bought it because it was nice and big. i also bought it because of the price as well. it was for a mixture of succulents and cactus for my deck.

kelly

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I can't help it...I like terra cotta. I paint them with a mixture of yogurt, honey, and beer and let them sit until things grow on them to make them look ultra-organic!
This year I do have some hayracks lined with moss, I've never done that before.

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

I voted for functionality, because in my mind this takes into account the above mentioned size, material and aesthetics. I occasionally plant in something found like an old coal bucket or wooden barrel but I tend to get tired of these. The price issue is of concern, so I watch for sales, but I've found that with containers you typically get what you pay for. A good quality pot that can stand up to the elements is worth it's weight in gold.

Pearl River, LA

The last pot I bought was a large terra cotta heavy duty plastic pot for my large ficus....It had outgrown its pot...It turned out to be a mistake....though it looked great I was unable to move it into the house for the winter and my beautiful 20 year old ficus tree froze...I still get sad when I think of it.....So be careful to stay in the size range that you can handle...... while I handled it fine all the years before I just could not physically handle it this past winter....I bought a collection of pots about five years ago and I just recycle annuals in them....everything else goes into the ground.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

THis was a toughy because I consider them all. Probably size first because if I have an area or a plant in mind I have to make sure the planter fits. Then color and aesthetics.. I won't get it if it's ugly or not right for the locale even if it's the right size. (Unless my plant needs something NOW) Material is a concern..I like natural products but am finding they don't hold up well. I hate getting a lovely pot only to have it go to pieces within a year or so!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Last year I bought a lovely one in red, white and blue, with stars and stripes, the whole Americana theme going for it, filled it with red geraniums (pelargoniums, actually) and gave it, as a gift, to neighbor's who host a 4th of July party every year and send us home with all the whole "leftover" (untouched) lobsters!

The last ones I bought for myself were self watering pots for the indoor porch and they only came in dark green and only one size, which happened to be ideal.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

With the gopher population here containers are a prime concern. I wanted to answer "all of the above" except the last of course. But I recently bought a bunch and I knew I needed large, but I also wanted aesthetic, but big pots can be so pricey. I find they are much more expensive here on the Central Coast, or else I just haven't found the good deals yet, so when my friend was coming up for a visit I had her go to my two favorite pot places in Orange County (Pottery Barn [not the catalogue one], a pottery that's been in business since the '50s in Laguna beach and Mainly Seconds where they tend to have great deals, especially if there's a sale, which there was). Anyway, I've never done virtually shopping before, but she had her cell with her, tooks pictures, and emailed them to me right from the shop, told me the prices and I said, "nah, don't need that one, or yup, that's a keeper." Anyway, I ended up with three strawberry pots, two periwinkle 20" pots, two sky blue 22" pots and one (she called it orange, I call it squash/papaya/goldish) 24" pot. These are all glazed ceramic and I paid less than $200. I was pleased. They are already all full and I need more. I order so many things on the net, but pots are just so expensive to ship that it doesn't work.

Broaddus, TX(Zone 8b)

Zone 8b, southeast TX
A bulldozer did site preparation for house foundation. During the process, top soil was graded up from yard areas.
I plant in pots so plants can have better soil to grow in. I have many older plants in larger pots sizes 18" up to 24'' I've purchased about 40 pots over an eight year period for under $30. on average. (light-weight material).
I continue to build up my soil. However, my spouse calls my in-ground plants lawnmower obsticles. He mows our three-acre plot. I tried to convience him that if he would help me place my pot plants in a raised bed, then he would not have to mow so much grass. He hates to use weedeater, too. I use a big dolley to move my pots into greenhouse in winter. Also, I have an ability to change landscape plans at any season using potted plants.
Healthy, Happy Gardening.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Got to go with price. Most of my annuals are in pots, and I have 10 kinds of zinnia alone for this year. I guess I would rather have more plants than more fancy.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Price did it for me on the last terra cotta container I got. Drove by a rummage sale and there was this huge terra cotta aztec design chicken and I had to have it! $15, and had to dump the dirt out of it and still had a hard time lifting it into the trunk of my car. Have to drag it into the basement every fall so it doesn't freeze and crack, because I will never find another one like it! Mostly I buy by function, but this one got me by it's unique design.

Thumbnail by meezersfive
Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Wow, that's very cool meezer, I love unique containers. I buy mine based on functionality first, looks second and price 3rd. I just got an oversized multi colored tea cup from Walmart for 15.99 which was more than I expected to pay, but I fell in love with how unique it looked and more importanly it was the perfect size to plant my purple basil seeds.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I only check "material" because I stick with terra cotta. It's the best and the prettiest. We ALL know size matters.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I have lots of different sizes, large one and small ones, none were terribly expensive, I use them for annuals and put them among the perennials about any color that I get my hands on, just like natire, it does not choose what color it shows as they emerge most anywhere.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Price 1st for me. If it is over a certain price, I don't buy it no matter how nice it looks. Plus, I have learned to camoflage ugly containers pretty well. 2nd is size and last is aesthetics. I have some containers that I got from the Korean dollar store that are 12" wide and deep, that I saw at a nursery for $15! They are the "terracotta look" plastic, and are nice and thick, for $1 you can't beat it.

This container I got at Sam's for $9.88 is most expensive container to date.

kanita

Thumbnail by kanita
Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

Trick Question!!! I needed a certain size, but it had to be affordable, durable and not cost a lot, so all of the above lol!

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

My last plant container was purchased from zenpotter....because it was too beautiful to pass up. I actually had a hard time choosing just one. She makes wonderful little pots in the shape of shells. She even includes a matching plate so that you can use it in the house in the winter.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I have a gazillion nursery pots and various other plant containers that I store out in the bushes for lack of shed space so if I ever have cause to put a plant in a pot, it is merely so it has time to grow up and get in the ground.

Buying a pot for a plant suggests that it has to go in the house, and in my house a plant in there means death. I spend all my gardening time outside and that's where the plants need to be.

Molly
:^)))

Right now, large size (22-26") is important-as I am replacing worn out old-fashioned rinse tubs on legs-like were used in the 30's thruearly 50's with a wringer washer. They served me well for many years, along with a clawfoot bathtub- but my garden style has changed, along with the renovation of our whole house and property. I found some HUGE beautiful faux t.c pots at WM- only $23.00 each, so I bought 8 of them. My husband poured cement pads for the rinse tub planters years ago, so my new containers look fantastic on them, as well as sitting nice and level.
Deanna

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Price. I already know what size and color I want so I shop for the best price!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Except for those containers which are just utilitarian pots for temporary quarters for plants, I buy containers that are features for plants in my greenhouse or for use in the summer on my porch or terrace, so appearance and appropriate size are essential and of course price and material. I prefer ceramic or terracotta, but in some cases, I do buy plastic. I rarely buy a container that I don't already have a plant in mind for, as is the case now with a Myers Lemon that I bought recently and I am now on the look out for a special planter that will be appropriate for it. But if I am at an auction and something good comes up, I am all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich! Patti

Love the hobo on a ham sandwich line!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a really tight space to work with. You might think that size is first for me; however, due to the limited size garden, I look first for the aesthetic view. For me everything has to flow in some design form (formal, natural, ect.) and provide a transition from one view to another. Though size and shape and all is important, I have to vote for how it appears (the aesthetics)in the grand view, whole view, of the garden. The size and price come in a close second.

I have to agree with an "all of the above" option

nivlac

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Chuckle - if we had an "all of the above" option, what would we talk about??? The voting isn't intended to be a scientific measurement of anything - but merely a springboard for a weekly conversation on a particular subject ;o)

I wouldn't think an "all of the above" would eliminate the reasons why we select one over another when we do make the final decision.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I look for what fits in my small space, so I guess size is first. But then purpose. Will it suit what I want to use it for? Then aesthetics, it has to be beautiful. Then material. I like to use winterproof pots, not terra cotta if I can help it, though if terra cotta were winterproof that's probably all I'd use. I like the thick fiberglass or foam. They're making many more of them than they used to so there's quite a selection these days.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I might add, just found four beautiful ceramic containres of various colors from Italy for $10.00 each, not bad

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Aesthetics:
It has to catch my eye first and if it's the right size and price I buy it. What's the point of buying ugly pots even if they are the right size and cheap? When I needed plain pots to move my garden this spring I just asked all of my gardener friends for their old nursery pots and soon had more than enough.

John Keats: A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.