I ask my friends
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Other?
(29 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I look in plant scout first , then my bookmarks and then post . Google gives way to many results to go thru all . I have used dogpilie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sometimes Google is the fastest way to see if things are in the DG plantfile and it lets me know if there are photos there or not. It gives me other alternatives at the same time. Plantscout is a great feature which I do use.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I Google first, then PlantScout. With PlantScout you have to know what it's called there or the Latin name. That I can find first on Google. ;~)

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I use some of all of these methods except Plant Scout. If I don't have all I need to know of the name, PS is of no help.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

BTW, PlantScout will give you results if you search by common name - but you have to be able to recognize the latin name wtihin the results. ;o)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Other: I go to see it in the wild

Resin (recently back from a trip to Morocco to see the endangered species Cupressus atlantica)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I voted other, I use google, plantscout and catalogs.

FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Google is a vast searching place.Where every plants can found easily.
If our spels are incorrect then Google correct them.
Yasir

This message was edited May 2, 2006 9:33 AM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Google, then Plant Scout. Sometimes I go to specific online nurseries or plant societies if I'm looking for a named variety. Yuska

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I usually check ebay first.....if I don't find it I check completed auctions and put it on my 'searches' to be notified if an auction comes up....it usually does!

But I've also googled after a lack of results on ebay and found it that way.

Bastrop, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm trying to add only natives now, so first I check to see if they are growing around the area, then check with friends to see if they have them on their places, and if so, if I can take cuttings, dig one up, or get seeds, depending on the best way to get them. (I check Jill Nokes' book, How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest, to get her advice on propagation.) If I can't find them, I check some nurseries in the area that have native plants. I'm still looking for farkleberry.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I will do a google search on it to see if it is available. Then I will go in to plant files to see if any real undoctored photos exist with any notes on it.

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

I usually look it up in one of my many gardening books.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I use google (which often takes me right back to Dave's Garden), catalogs, but mostly my books. I have a lot of wonderful books for gardening in my area of Texas.

East Wenatchee, WA(Zone 5b)

Its kinda cool how, 1/2 the time, a Google search will take me to Daves Garden. Gee, why leave home when one can find it at DG.

Talk about being oblivious; I didn't know about Plant Scout until today. Well, better late than never! Besides the Internet search, I am a slave to the Sunset Western Garden book. I'm glad I finally tuned in.

Barbara

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

I never even realized we had PlantScout until this poll! I'll use it from now on though. I did a couple of trial runs with it already :) I was wondering though if we couldn't get Dave to add a feature to it that will show the Watchdog rating of the companies in a column as well as the Plant/Company/Offerings.....that would be so convenient!

Yep, I'm one of those lazy gardeners LOL!

:)
Diana

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

I used to Google search until they all took me to DG. That's actually how I discovered DG. Now that I'm a member, I use PlantScout exclusively. =)

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

I use PlantScout most, but I really wish there had been a catagory of all of the above. That's the one I would have checked. Dotti

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I do the same as Doss. I have yet to NOT find what I'm looking for here on Daves! 99.999% of the time there is a photo included...and that's great !!!

I also think it's great that people can add comments on a particular plant and tell us how it does in their zone. This is extremely helpful.

My gardening books are gathering dust since I became a member!!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I must confess that Google is my 1st stop for just about everything, shopping, info, etc. I do also look at catalogs and check with my tried and true favorite vendors. Sometimes, esp for something I'm having trouble finding, I look for it in PF and check to see if it has the "one company has this plant for sale" (or something close) link. I like that feature. Lastly, if all else fails, I always know (as in the case of the iris I saw on a photography site) that I can start a thread in an appropriate forum and get answers (in the iris case I needed to know it's name as well as where to find it). DG's is home to so many smart folks!

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

First I Google to get the latin or common name, whichever I don't have. Then I go to the online catalogues of my favourite dealers. I never use PlantScout because I try to deal exclusively with Canadian dealers - less shipping hassle that way. Actually, I would use PlantScout if I could narrow it down during the search to dealers in my chosen locale.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Not only do I use PlantScout I send tons of people over here to look up there own stuff!!!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Not only do I use PlantScout I send tons of people over here to look up their own stuff!!!

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm like KatyMac: I Google first, then PlantScout

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I use either plantscout, or look it up in plant files and see what vendors have it for sale, then check them out in the garden watchdog. I love these tools. ☺

I rarely use google/froogle because there are way too many extraneous ads for me.
Maureen

Troy, NH

I am not familiar with plant scout yet but use every available source.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm with Diana T -- about to check out Plant Scout now!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I checked off "other" because I usually do a combination. I've learned to check myriad sources because one might say a certain plant grows to 2-3 feet, then the next might say 3 to 4. That bothers me so then I feel compelled to check a third...and so on. Then one picture shows the plant as red, the next site shows it looking more pink (and that's the problem with viewing online with everyone's color filters being slightly different!)...so when it comes to something like this...can't take the first "answer" as final. But usually it's Dave's Garden first, then Google, then books at night to make me fall asleep!!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I Google first then it's PlantScout...

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

I use Google but 99.9% of the time the top result is the plantfiles here at DG.. :-) I usually Google images though..then if I like the looks of the plant I then look up the details

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Now that I have discovered DG plant scout, I am using it first cause if I find it there I can search for member recommended sellers. I really appreciate the yrs. of experience DG's offers and take to heart all suggestions for buying and selling. Great Community!

thanks

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I do all of the above so marked Other.

google is my first choice for searching

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with both Doss and JasperDale. Google first, then Plant Scout. Never would I give up my books and the most used have the least dust.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Other. I have many books that I use first, then Yahoo or Google. Gardening magazines are always timely and last, I ask anyone on Dave's garden.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I use google...I'm only searching for the plants info, not to buy.

Assuming the Poll was asking where we looked up plants to buy then it would have to be the RHS PlantFinder because there are no UK companies in the PS at present.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I realized after the question I posted I hadn't made it clear - the assumption was "looking to buy" ;o)

Baa, the good news is there is now at least one UK vendor in PlantScout: http://davesgarden.com/ps/c/1756/ - we'd love to have more join in, and hopefully they will.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.