Would like names of shade loving houseplants

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Most of my apartment is shaded throughout most of the day and I'd like to get some houseplants that can thrive in these conditions. It is also fairly dry in here, but I can get a humidifier. Do any of you have any ideas for me? I can look them up in the PDB. Oh yes - I'd prefer them to not be too terribly expensive either, lol!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

This lady wanted shady houseplants, too, but she wanted hers tall.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/577722/

There's some suggestions there. Otherwise, prayer plants, calathea, fittonia, pothos, philodendron are pretty inexpensive shady houseplants.

I would think the humidity in WA would be rather high with all the rain and all, even indoors. I've never lived there, but I couldn't imagine your house being any dryer than any other typical household. Some of those are humidity lovers, but I really think they'd be fine enough without the humidifier.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I live on the east side of Washington state - it is very dry here. It is considered High Desert where I live. We also get much colder weather and snow in the wintertime than they do on the West side. It is a completely different climate over here. Note my climate zone vs. a climate zone near Seattle. I do like our hot dry summers though. I'm not much for rain. I'll look into those plant ideas. Thanks!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Many Philodendrons, Fatsia japonica, Siderasis fuscata, Aglaonemas, Sansevieria trifasciata.....to name a few 'til I think of more!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.