EURR Round 2 err 2

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Hi Ba. The crimson flowered broad beans did eventually set seed, though not heavily. After that we had very hot weather and no rain, so the seeds that were there are not huge. I've probably harvested double to triple the amount that I had from you in the first place - not wonderful, but I have enough for a short row next year. I now have watering set up so that I can give them a spray occasionally (I mean of water of course) and keep my fingers crossed for a better harvest next year.

The other thing I am intending to get going next spring are some beehives. That may help with the pollination of a lot of things - it's been a bit dodgy with veggies other than the crimson flowered beans. So I'm looking forward to that.
Something else to get my teeth into - as long as they don't get their teeth (or rather their stings) into me LOL

Yes, we've had some thunder. Glad the commotion wasn't Bo!!!!! Tabtab in the bath??????? Is that usual? .....though come to think of it I've heard of cats using the toilet bowl as a drinking fountain.........

That sounds about right for the Crimson Broad Beans, they never seem to crop well. Red Epicure is another red flowered type but with better pod set. Well done for getting them going in the end though!

Ohh beekeeping, how wonderful! I hope you'll tell us all about your bee adventures if it goes ahead.

She's always somewhere doing something, she's a very active cat even though she's probably middle aged now, she's at least 9 or 10. She often pulls the bath panel to make a banging noise for attention but today she was whizzing about in the base of the bath. Our previous dog Fonz used the toilet bowl as a water source (ewww).

I must admit this is a welcome break from the heat we've been getting this week.

Oh, that's interesting! I took some Red Epicure seed from the RR this last time - I think from Mike. The Seville Longpod that I also grew this year cropped very well, but I planted it earlier than the crimson flowered so it wasn't a direct comparison.

I'll certainly be telling you of any beekeeping adventures ;o))
....and if anyone has any experience, hints/tips I'll be very grateful. My father kept bees, but I didn't get much involved apart from at extraction time. I was a little young to remember the details anyway. I was really pleased to see that there is now a beekeeping forum on DG. I hope it will have enough takers to keep going.

Pets and their habits! - sounds as if you could write a book.......

Yes, we just had a little shower and it is wonderful that the air is cooler and more refreshing

Mother would like to keep bees, I'm not sure that it's much more than a desire to wear a big floppy hat and a veil and have a few bees about though. I'd like to keep bees for honey if someone else did most of the work and the bees promised not to sting LOL.

What with the farms I could write a series of books! I'd probably have to wait a long time before I could publish though :)

I'm hoping I'll find some nice friendly ones......... ;o))

I look forward to your series of books.Jemima Herriott LOL

LOL now that's a good nom de plume!

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

I've been wondering about the Crimson flowered broad beans - they are very small this year - only three seeds to a pod, but plenty have set. I was thinking about selecting the two best plants with the most seeds per pod to save seed from to try to improve them for next year. I usually do choose the largest seeds, but must be more selective, or as you say try Red Epicure. Are they as tender and good flavour as the others?

We've had one good thunderstorm with torrential rain for over an hour a few days ago and they have forecast more, but no sign of them yet. Here's hoping.

There are some very pretty little poppies in the pinch of Lucky Dip seed I took from the previous R.R.

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Kokia have dazzled you and puzzled you, ladies ? The very usual broad beans, but here in Greece we cook the whole pods when they are frsh and tender, i.e. in springtime, and there are a few recipes for dried broadbeans as well. They are connected with ancient Greek voting, and metaforically they mean "votes". More on these subjects another day, tonight I am shattered and need some sleep.

Who sent me the yellow "wax" beans? they came up and I picked them today, will cook them tomorrow, and tell you what they taste like - many thanks for the seeds, they are unknown here, they look very nice.

BizzyLizzy11, I will send you a set of what seeds I can gather for you - if you like, send a donation to Baa to be added to the GardenGate fund we started.

Dimitri

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Wow - thats very kind of you -I'll DMail you.

Thanks
Lizzy

Patbarr yes the Red Epicure is a good, tasty variety. Do you have any pictures of the poppies? I'm glad some came up for you.

I think I put some Kinghorn Wax beans which are yellow podded in there Dimitri, I hope you enjoy them!

I remember reading that people across Europe (including here) thought the souls of the dead wondered in broad bean fields and occupied the beans.

B1ZL1Z, some envelopes for you on Monday.

Baa, thank you again; they are going boiled and served with olive oil and lemon juice tonight, together with bbq sardines and local wine. A toast to your health, prosperity and garden success.

Dimitri

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi…
There it is…so soon from Lixi...today the post-lady handed it over to my neighbours because I was not at home at that time…a big fat envelope…I did ‘nt expect it would arrive so soon…what a surprise… You all have added so many wonderfull seeds …so generous…thank you all…
I hope you don’t find me greedy…I’ve taken out…:
A few of the courgette salad collection (Sorgina);
Cos lettuce Freckles (Philomel);
Cocktail tomatoes from Lixi’s own selection;
Tomatoe Yellow Pear. I ‘ve grown these a few years ago and lost the seeds..so I ‘m glad to grow them next year again from Baa;
Another Pearl Tomatoe I like to try next year from Pat;
Albizia julibrissin from Dimitri;
Gladiolus italicus from Dimitri;
Eryngium maritimum;
Eryngium bourgatii (both sowings failed, so I ‘ll try again);
Campanula incurva (Mike);
Hemerocallis Stafford (Mike)
Cotula Yellow Marbles (lost these during house removal 2005);
Sisyrinchium atlanticum from Baa;
Helichrysum Summer Solstice (Sorgina)..
One package from Zinia rose, Euphorbia marginata, Cerinthe major, Mirabilis jalapa…all added by Lixi…and ahhh…I could’nt resist some Lathyrus odoratus from Dimitri. THANK YOU ALL !!

I ‘ve replaced these with a little from this and that …
Veggies:
Lamb’s lettuce/corn salad Grote Noordhollandse;
Tomate Roma (2x);
Dwarf French Bean Cordoba;
Climbing French Bean Neckarkönigin;
Eggplant - Solanum melongena…
Some anuals:
Nigella orientalis Transformer (2x);
Amaranthus paniculatus Hot Biscuits (1x);
Poppies lilac-pink mix;
Matthiola longipetala ssp bicornis…lovely scented..one of my favourites..a few of the tiny flowers can perfume the air.. ;
Datura white …seeds from wild flowering Datura in
Bretagne-France… If I gather seeds from wild flowering plants overhere…like Dimitri did ..ooohh overhere only weeds grow …so I added some from my last years vacations..
Added also some perennials…I hope you were looking for these.. :
Digitalis ferruginea ( 2x):
Alcea ficifolia (2x) …colours can be pink, yellow, salmon..;
Gaura lindheimerii Corrie’s Gold;
Aquilegia mix;
(I hope someone is still looking for these …);
Impatiens balsemina pink (for a moist little shaded spot in your garden…;
Verbena bonariensis ( for a sunny spot in your garden..attracts butterflies..just like
Asclepias incarnata Ice Ballet (2x)..
I ‘ve added also some little perennials suitable for a rockery:
Draba fladzinensis;
Arabis caucasia variegata;
Arabis carduchorum;
Platystemon californicus;
Digitalis carillon (2x);
Erinus alpinus;
Chaenorrhinum villosum;
Asyneuma canescens….

The envelope got so big that it will not fit in the mailbox…so I have to hand it over at the post office in town this Monday..Sorry I did ‘nt respond on the thread (that I’ve followed though…) Due illness and being so busy redecorating the house… Now I’ve hired someone who helps me to reshape my new garden (removal september 2005)..

Hugs for you all!

Lenne aka Saya

Hi Lenne, it's lovely to hear from you!
great that the parcel has got to you so quickly
That's a formidable list of things you've added. Hope you are well now :)

south-west Peloponne, Greece(Zone 9a)

Happy to hear, that Saya received the parcel ... I´m online only once in a while, so if you like to get anything from Greece, you should write me a message .... will get much busier at the end of the year ... Tourists and hungry inhabitants keep me from posting now ...

P.S.: The "Kokia" beans are really tasty when they are young (!!!) You leave them to ripen but collect the seed, just before they start to harden ... must be green and big ... then you cook them (if they are really big, you should withdraw the skin) with lots of dill and other tasty weeds and enjoy .... addiction of artichokes is great but not a must, I really love them when picked early (the last ones are for next years seed ... they will not cook and have an awfull taste...) be happy with the fresh ones!!!!

Hello everyone, The package arrived here yesterday. It is huge! I've not had chance to look at it yet as it is the Yorkshire in Bloom judging tomorrow and we've been weeding, dead heading and litter picking all over the town all weekend. Everyone says how nice it looks. I suppose the only people who don't appreciate it are the ones who drop the litter, although it is noticeable that less litter is dropped when it all looks clean and tidy and cared for.

Looking forward to having a delve into the envelope on Tuesday, so it should be on its way again later this week.

Pat

Thanks Saya!

Wow what a list! It's good to hear from you, I hope things are settling down now and you're feeling much better.

Thanks Lixi

That sounds like a tasty side dish for white fish.

Thanks Patbarr

Is your garden entered for Yorkshire in Bloom? How did the judging go?

Hello everyone, No my garden wasn't entered, I had been persuaded to be on the committee organising the entry for our town, so twelve of us have been responsible for fund raising, buying all the planters, planting up, watering and caring for the town centre and several other sites all over the town. We've had lots of people saying how lovely it looks but it is a huge job keeping it all looking good. It isn't the sort of gardening I'm interested in - I would rather have plants that look after themselves, and the vegies of course.

The judging went well, but we don't know how we did yet. I was more interested in improving the appearance of the town than in the competitiion. I gives us a bit more leverage to get the Council to make improvements so brings quite a few benefits apart from the flowers. I think it is work the City Council should be doing anyway out of the rates, but we do seem to get overlooked being 10 miles from Sheffield.

Anyway, I'm just looking through the package and searching for the ones I don't know before I make my choice. Everyone has been very generous with their additions. Thanks everyone.

It will be on its way by the end of the week.

Pat

About keeping bees. My father and son made some hives and bought a swarm of European bees. The bees were very pleasant natured and not a bit agressive, but we didn't get any honey from them as my son went to University and Dad had cataracts and couldn't see to look after the bees.

The week after my son went away the bees decided to swarm, so there I was with all the gear on and a cardboard box with a blanket under the tree. I had a book of instructions in one hand - how to capture a swarm (find the queen first) and a soft brush in the other hand to gently brush the bees off the apple tree into the box! It worked, but I'm afraid I had enough to do without taking on the bees as well, so the hives were left to their own devices. They were great for polinating the fruit trees and we got better crops of pears than usual, but in the end they died out as they got invaded by wasps.

So good luck!

The package is on its way to you Sue first class, so you should get it tomorrow.

I have a list of everything I took out - about 18 packets and I've put 20 in, but someone has moved the list - my son is home at the moment!

Will list them if I can find it. Sorry.

Pat

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Thanks for asking Philomel and Baa..Yes I 'm feeling much better now..special now my garden takes progress...and of course the fabulous sunny weather overhere...My health was'nt so good past months and with all the work that had to be done in the house after removal..well my spirits were more on the low side..At the moment I 'm replanting my plants of my old garden. Could'nt remove them all.. helas ...I 've kept them all in pots untill now...Luckely the new owners of my old house like the plants that I 've left behind and take good care.

Baa...thanks again for organizing this RR ...I 'm looking forward to RR 3...I 've really enjoyed this.
Hugs,
Lenne.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

seeds arrived yesterday, but busy weekend dispatching various daughters to various destinations.I'm looking forewards to peace in the house tomorrow when I can sit down over a drink and go through the envelope thouroughly...

Almost forgot...please, please, please forgive me again here, but I'm still not sure whats happeneing about the charity thing, i know people have sort of told me, but are we putting something in the envelope (money/seeds?) or is it being done seperately? and if so what exactly?

You're not the only one a little foggy on this point Sue :)
I gathered my cockerels were a little tricky to donate, but I can assure you they're delicious *grin*

We all seem to be taxi drivers for our children at the moment - in their 30s but still want ferrying about. I'm losing track of which station or airport I'm supposed to be at next.

Right, I've found the list which no one had seen. It is covered in telephone numbers and messages!

I've taken out: Black Hollyhock, Digitalis Feruginea, Dwarf French bean, Koukia beans, Egg plant, Lambs lettuce, Cardoon, Potimarron Rouge, Astrantia, Nomophila Maculata, Albizia Julirissin, Clamatis orientalis, Alcea ficifolia, Nigella orientalis, Cacktail tomato, Cerinthe major, Sweet peas and geranium mixture, and

I've put in: Phacelia, Nicotiana, Double Clarkia, Single Sweet William mix, Blue Danube Sweet pea, Runner bean Black Magic, Yellow podded Mangetout 'Golden Sweet', Jaune de Poitou early season yellow leek, Salad bowl mix lettuce, Lettuce 'Forellenschloss', Abraham Lincoln tomato, Japanese parsley Mitsuba, Hot oriental salad mix, Blue banana Winter Squash, Beetroot 'Red Ace', Rotoco pepper Capsicum pubescens, Double Standard sweetcorn, Liquorice, Sweet red pepper from Menorca and Cabbage Pixie.

I've tried to include some flowers as well as veggies.

Where do we send the donation? I hope this won't put people off joining the R.R as it is quite expensive already for the ones of you outside the UK with the cost of postage.

I'm glad you are feeling up to doing your garden Lenne, you will get there eventually if you do a bit at a time.

Saya it's a pleasure :) It's good to know your previous beautiful garden will be cared for.

Sueone, I'm glad it's got to you safely!

Patbarr, Good mixture! Looks like some interesting veg, what's a Potimarron Rouge? I'm not sure I'd go for the 'cacktail' tomato though *G*

Philomel, what was the recipe :) I don't eat chicken meat myself (although I'm not a veggie) but I will sometimes eat it in a curry.

Charity & RR

As far as I know :) (doesn't that inspire confidence!) at the end of the RR I list up what's left and all of you have a choice of what's left over which by the sounds of it, we're going to be rivalling a big seed company in choice LOL.

There is absolutely no obligation to make a donation, it's only if you want to donate something for the left over RR seeds. Should anyone wish to offer their own seeds for SAE with the charity donation option, perhaps we can get a sticky thread running when the time comes?

Hi, finally got around to delving into the goody bag, spent a lovely couple of hours going through the seeds, and checking out those I'm not sure of.Have now made final selection and bag is sealed and ready to go, probably tomorrow as I have to persuede hubby he'd like to post it for me...

Seeds removed:
mignonette
rhodanthe
eucalyptus
digiatlis carillion
" ferrugina
nigella orientalis
rudbekia hirta
single sweet williams
gaura
phacelia
matthiola incanana
osteospermum fruticosum
wisteria sinensis
gladiolus italicus
acacia
double clarkia mix
blue dbl sweet pea
zinnia rose
meconopsis pink
poppies lilac & pink
styrax officinalis
bauheria purpurea
asyneuma
chaenorrhium
platystemon
cerastium
verbascum bakeranum

Herbs;
basil lettuice leaved
" dwarf greek

veg:
butternut squash
blue banana "
cabbage Coeur de beuf
" pixie
deep rib pumpkins
runner beans black magic
carrot purple dragon
chilli cherry bombs

Seeds I've put in

Flowers;
cedronella canariensis
petrohagia pink starlets
campanula cashmeriana
ox-eyed daisy
salvia sclarea
hieracium 'chocolate spot'
canna indica
amaranthus 'split personality'
campanula upright mix
poppy oriental red
salvia forskhaoli?
jacobs ladder 'sulphur trumpets'
francoa
dierama
physotegia'crown of snow'
kitabelia
hemerocallis
halligoris erecta
heuchera reds mixed
knautis macedonica
lobelia perrenial mix
penstemon dark mauve
verbena hastata
vestia foetida
anthericum sandersoni
corydalis sempervirens
" lutea
datura 'la fleur lilac'
godetia 'amathyst glow'
chilean glory vine
euphorbia myrsinites/
geum 'blazing sunset'
peucedanum verticulaire
puya chilensis
veronica'blue carpet'
stipa gigantea
lobelia siphilitica
eucomis bi-colour

herbs;
french thyme
sorrel 'bellville'

veg:
spring onion
lettuice mix
trail of tears beans
capsicum'hot and spicy'
melothie
climb french bean 'or du rhon'
quich-heading broccoli
celeriac balder'

That, I think is the lot.

Sue

Wow what a list Sueone! Looks like some of us are going to have Round Robin borders next year :)

I hope the package has reached you o.k. Mike, hubby posted it for me (not without a grumble about the cost of course!!...LOL) he wasn't reassured at all when I told him that I had much more value than that in the seeds from it....these heathens...they just don't understand...

I'm just waiting on a large bag of compost to mysteriously arrive on my drive (doesn't everyone have a compost fairy?) so's that I can get sowing, I have loads to go in, but where to put them...hhmm..my greenhouse is chocca this year, can't reach the shelves, might have to be the cold-frame.

london, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Sue

Yes, package collected from the sorting office yesterday, and I borrowed a fork-lift truck to take it home. So much to choose from!

I've noted Dimitri's 'seeds' for me...

I don't have a compost fairy but I do have a wood elf who from time to time blocks up my drive with a ton of wood - this is a 'hard work in exchange for spare firewood' arrangement. (Nature conservation work.)

Backlogs of seeds to sow and not much seed collection done means that the package won't change greatly before completing its Round 2 and reaching Baa - but I will be more specific in a day or so I hope.

Mike

Thanks Mike_G, I'm now worrying the package is so large the postman will get a hernia!

Wood elves and compost fairies? Are these species that are common or do they need a specific habitat, certainly none of those around here.

london, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Baa - wood elves can be seen fairly regularly around here. They normally wear bright orange clothing, a helmet and carry a chain-saw. One of their stated tasks is to cut down dying or dangerous branches and boughs (or whole trees) to stop them falling on the heads of unsuspecting residents. They say things like "We'll just take down this one last tree" at 4pm on a winter's afternoon when you're exhausted from lugging logs since 10 a.m., which is the last thing you want to hear. (It's sort of like doing the pruning of your garden shrubs, only on a much larger scale.) Preservation and extension of Surrey heathlands is in the "mission statement" - a highly laudable aim in my view, although I can hear people saying "What a vandal"...

Only minor adjustments to the bag o' seeds from me this time. Out have come: Ox-Eye Daisy, Nicotiana, Italian Parsley, French Bean 'Or du Rhon', Koukia (broad?) bean, Matthiola longipetala. Oh, and Screwsia computerense - and I will make a donation to Oxfam of at least £1 per "seed" for that privilege.

In go: Geranium ruprechtii, Aquilegia fragrans, Broom, Lychnis yunnanensis, Incarvillea zhiongdianensis, and Campanula lactiflora.

Hope to get the package in the post back to you, Baa, tomorrow, and once again thanks for taking the trouble to arrange the Round Robin.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. Your donation is most welcome. And I am happy you found them - I was wondering if I had somewhere some screws loose....

As new seeds are piling up, and no trade is on the horizon for me, I think I will post the bags to Baa, if she agrees, and let there be some accumulation - (I will keep some for the odd friend who will ask). Can't wait to see that the next RR will look like.

Thanks to all

Dimitri

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Some of those seeds will be viable for the next RR and there will be some of the lastly included seeds which some of the first people would not have seen the first time round. (try reading that after a couple of g&ts) I swear - I haven't had one yet!!!!

Will you include those ones too? Or do you pass them on to a Jumble Sale?

Thanks Mike the seeds arrived back today!

Despite the moniker avenue there are no trees lining the road so that could be why we don't see the Wood elves around here. Apparently we're living in an old orchard, most of the back gardens of near neighbours have very elderly fruit trees, ours is a pear and there was once an apple too. We did have a wood elf come around and promise to prune the pear properly but when it left we discovered it was a wood elf imitator who had damaged half the garden and pruned the old pear within an inch of it's life.

LOL Dimitri and B1zzy L1zzy

You're welcome to post the seeds to me if you want, please let me know if they are for inclusion within the next RR or for the Gate project.

I'll go through the package in the next day or so and then start a new thread with the list of the remaining seeds for the Garden Gate project and I'll ask if Dave and Terry would be so kind as to make it a sticky thread.

Mystery envelope solved.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2006 2:41 PM

Here's a link to the new thread for the Gate project http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/637195/ Please feel free to chime in with ideas, suggestions etc privately or publically :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.