EURR Round 2 err 2

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to say that the next round of the EURR is currently winging it's merry way to visit Philomel in France so we're off again.

There are now 80 packets, excluding Dimitri's seeds (please see next paragraph for those). As far as I'm concerned I'm happy for you all to take a few extras along with your RR allocation to bring the packet amount down and less weighty for the post, bearing in mind the person next on the list that is! I think we can safely bring the packet amount back down to 60 which is where we originally started, Any further thoughts or cries of horror at the very idea, do let us know ;)

For Dimitri's seeds in the white packets, there are plenty but please do check that you're not taking someone elses previously requested packet, here's the thread so you can check http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/556136 the posts start around about 20th December.

Patbarr, my apologies, due to the many extras people put in last time around there is a bias towards ornamentals but there are still 10 herbs and 20 veg so there should be something to interest you.

I think that's it for now, again my sincere apologies for holding on to it for so long. I hope you all find something fun and interesting to grace your garden.

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Ooooh good - I'm next after Philomel - can't wait! Thanks for doing this (again) Baa.
Maggi xxxx

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That's great, thanks Baa
I think I can redress the veggie balance all by myself ;o)
I seem to have accumulated lots.
Thanks again and I'll be keeping a good eye on the post box......

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Thank you Baa, the selection is excellent, it isn't that I don't like the flowers. It is just more difficult to find a space in the borders to fit them in, whereas we keep eating the veg so I can usually find new places to plant the seedlings.

It's arrived!!! :o))
What a fantastic selection - it'll be heading your way as soon as poss Maggi
Just off to go through the contents.............

Whoopee! Take your time Hilary, I can wait, (just)!
Maggi xxxx

Thanks Philomel! I hope you find some goodies for your garden in there :)

Yes, I've found some really nice things thanks Baa
I posted the envelope on to you this morning Maggi, but it's a bank holiday weekend here, so don't expect it any time soon LOL

I've replaced the ornamentals I took with veggies, hope that's OK. I've also put in extras of a few in case they are useful somewhere along the line. I noticed most of my bits had disappeared from the last RR :)

Thanks Philomel!

Dare I ask what you took and left? ;)

I was so keen to get the packet back out that I didn't keep a complete record, but I took
broad bean Epicure Longpod
French bean Trail of tears
broccoli Romanesco (I had some old seed of that which didn't germinate earlier, so that was good to see)
Stipa gigantea
Pennisetum rubra
Macleaya (one of my favourites in the UK that I haven't found for sale here yet :)
Salvia forsskaolii
Dark leaved Canna
Aquilegia fragrans
Lovage (another old friend)
and 4 items from Dimitri (thanks again for those:)

I replaced with
Italian Giant Parsley (2) flat leaved
Rhubarb (2) a different variety from Poland I've not seen before
Cardoon (2)
Pointed cabbage
Black winter radish
Potimarron (pumpkin things used here for soup)
Lamb's lettuce
Florence fennel (the sort that forms a 'bulb' at the base of the stems)
Cherry tomato
and some things I can't remember........

OOOO - it's getting nearer, if slowly. May is the month they seem to have more holidays than working days in France, if I remember rightly.
I'm getting my seed swaps ready here......
Maggi xxxx

Yes, you're not wrong Maggi LOL ;o))
I hope the package reaches you soon

Sounds great Philomel!

Most of the seeds from the last R.R. have germinated and are growing nicely. Very much looking forward to the next one.

I didn't know you could grow rhubarb from seed, your Polish ones sound interesting. I've always divided mine to increase them and cut the flower head off (like the books tell you).

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I've grown Victoria from seeds, they were doing really well, until I put the pots down the side drive, and within a couple of days nothing was left...maybe slugs, but i didn't think they liked rhubarb!!..bit like my family.....

My seeds from the last RR are also doing well, i spent yesterday in the greenhouse trying to sort it all out, potting on, pricking out, trying to find room to put them all...already the decks full up, so are the loungers on the deck, they're now invading the drive, and starting their march down towards the front of the house...hubby goes spare...moans that he can't get in the garage, get his bike out.

Hoping to get a load more done today, and perhaps plants some of the annuals out too, make a bit more room on the deck for the next lot.

Can't wait for the next RR to arrive.

south-west Peloponne, Greece(Zone 9a)

Hello to all of you!
Sorry for not being busier in posting here ... summer is on its way and we are working in the garden until sun sets... wich is quite late now!
We have masses of courgettes and sweet peas and we ate already the first cucumbers (very tasty and healthy plants, will keep seed for all of you!). The tomatoes ("only" around 10 varieties this year) are doing great, we hope to have the first red ones by the end of the month.

May I timidly ask what happened to the RR? Was it stuck on the way to Maggi or (I´ll start to panic!!) is it already on the way to Greece and having a bath somewhere in the Mediterranean Sea?? Since the International RR took 2 month to reach me, my faith in the local post-system is diminuishing ... PLEASE tell me, its not me again!!

greetings from Greece!

Jeanne

Hi Lixi, I'm afraid the post between France and Spain (Maggi and I are only about 3 hours from each other) is excelling itself. As far as I know it is still en route........ but it should get to Spain soon
Your veggies sound very advanced :)

Thanks Philomel, you brightened my evening ... I only hope, Maggi will get it soon!
The cucumbers we already ate came from the greenhouse but the ones outside are not far behind ... Pylos is WARM :-)!!

They sound delicious.You've made me realise that, though I've sown melons, courgettes, squash for the winter I must have forgotten the cucumbers :O shock horror! I'll get some plants locally - thanks for the "reminder"

Yes, the post between France and Spain is excelling itself again - still no sign of the package ! Obviously, Philomel, we should just start walking and meet each other half -way when we have any post to deliver to each other!
I haven't sown any cucumbers or melons this year, despite having seeds - I seem to have been snowed under with tomatoes, thanks to the tomato RR....36 different varieties, half a dozen or more plants of each variety....HELP! I'll have to stop doing these RRs......(Only joking - I can't resist them. It's just difficult to find the time and space to sow everything afterwards....)
Maggi xxxx

If the package hasn't arrived in the next 10 days I'll send out another.

I doubt whether the package is lost Baa. Things normally arrive - just take their time.......
(Famous last words lol)

WOW Maggi 36 varieties!!!!!!!
I thought I was going it with half a dozen LOL

Because it arrived really late, I kept the tomato-seed from the International RR for my second sawing in June ... so we will eat the "international tomatoes" until x-mas!

Maggi, you just have to give up hope, to make it arrive (worked perfect for me, try it)!!!
Maybe it will work even better if we all give up ... trying, trying ... *pfff* thats quite difficult :)

OK, trying hard to give up hope here......
LOL
Maggi xxxx

Oh dear - when I saw a post from you sorgina, I thought it had arrived :(
It took a long time the last time didn't it?

No no Philomel, you have to give up hope! (This is what Lixi did with the tomato RR, and it appeared after nearly 2 months).
Maggi xxxx

Fine - je suis désolée - they must be lost :(

You are doing well but lets give up hope a little bit harder ...
I´m giving up hope... no hope left ... all hope has faded ... they will never, never arrive ...

I`ll start to cry if that goes on ... where are those f...ing seeds :(

OK, you must have all given up hope, because they've arrived!!!!
The postwoman has just called and I'm rifling through the envelope feverishly.....there seem to be lots of interesting seeds there, and lots I've never heard of, or have heard of but can't quite remember.....so I shall be plant-filing and googling for the next few hours. By a stroke of luck, my lunchtime students cancelled their class this morning, so I have time....I'm sure the family will not be so unreasonable as to expect meals today! Back later...
Maggi xxxx

Pheeeeee-ew maggi, that's a relief!!!!
Enjoy - and I hope the post isn't so bad from here on. I think it must be all the bank holidays - there's another on thursday, so just as well it got to you before then.....

No, surely they can make meals for you just this once!!!!

Aren't these round robins exciting. The tomato one kept us in suspense for weeks and weeks. The anticipation of what is in it is exciting enough, but when the package vanishes and then suddenly arrives safe and sound!!!

I've lost track of the order it is going in - who am I after? Can't stand too much suspense!

Pat xxx

Here's the list Baa put up earlier - so it's probably the way it's going

Philomel - France
Sorgina - Spain
DPMichael - Crete
Lixi - Greece
Saya - The Netherlands
Patbarr - Sheffield
Sueone - Dorset
Mike_G - Surrey
Baa - Hampshire

It's only got as far as Spain so far, so a way to go yet ;o))

Oh Maggi, thats wonderful!!!
You just have to stop eating, drinking and sleeping until its on the road again ... am I overdoing? Hrmm - maybe a tiny little bit. Until it reaches here I will drive the post-officer crazy ... he is already hiding behind his desk, whenever he sees me :)

Lets start a workshop for giving up hope ... :)

Lixi

LOL Lixi - a workshop for giving up hope.....it would certainly be radically different! Well, I've selected the seeds I want to keep, as follows:
Asphodeline lutea, Erysimum hungaricum, Freesia laxa, Nemesia pallida, Wisteria sinensis alba, Borage, Lavender, Rhubarb, Fennel and tomato Alaskan Fancy.
It was very difficult to narrow it down to just these, but I decided that they had to be either fragrant or edible - have to put limits somehow on my seed greed !
Now I have to select the best replacements, and send it off to Dr Michael in Crete - I'll post again when I've done that. Probably tomorrow - I'll have to do some teaching and cooking today!
Maggi xxxx

OK, I've added the following seeds:
Mignonette, Helichrysum "Summer solstice", Nemophila maculata, persimmon "Mt Fuji", Lettuce-leaved Basil, Creeping rosemary, Courgette selection, Squash selection, Tomatillo "mixed purple and green," Tomato "Marglobe".
I hope to post them later today.
This has been great fun - thank you Baa.
Maggi xxxx

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Hi everybody !!! Are you all ok?

the much awaited box has not arrived yet - hope it will soon

Greetings from the heat-baked Crete

Last week, while in Austria for a conference, I saw some flowers at a kiosk on the street that I will post on the ID forum - have a look and say your opinion

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/609842/

((Edited on Saturday afternoon for spelling and for adding the link to the ID forum))

Dimitri

This message was edited Jun 3, 2006 5:34 PM

Thanks Sorgina!

Dimitri I'll look out for your thread. It's been pretty warm here too but probably nothing like Crete is right now LOL.

Hello everyone, I'm back in circulation after being away on two training courses and also visiting my son in darkest Wales.

Dimitri, your flowers look like Protea they are very spectactular aren't they?

I can't say Sheffield is exactly sun-baked, but it is much warmer than last week - we had frost on 30th and 31st of May! So my outdoor grape vines have a few crinkly edged leaves, but seem OK.

Looking forward to the next seed selection. The acacia have germinated nicely with pretty little bi-pinnate leaves.

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Hi Pat, nice to hear from you;

the proteas I photographed are not mine, they were for sale in a florist shop in Vienna, and I found them very curious - the gingers even more !!!

I am happy your acacias are growing well- I always like to experiment with tree seedlings, e.g. see how they look like if trained as low bushes.

Hi, Baa; I wanted to ask you if you could please spend some time to correct a few photos of ferulago nodosa and ceropegia woodii that I want to take for DG plantfiles - there aren't any at the moment, and I wouldn't like to spend several hours taking the shots and editing them in Photoshop and not see them in the plantfiles in the end. Please let me know.

Best wishes to all

Dimitri

Hello Dimitri,

Please let me know when you are ready what you want me to do and I'll do my best :)

Any sign of the package yet?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.