This spring I'm most excited about...

There are a total of 466 votes:

Putting in a new garden (vegetable, flower, or ???)
(153 votes, 32%)
Red dot

Cleaning out an old bed and replanting
(64 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Starting some plants from seed
(93 votes, 19%)
Red dot

Buying all my plants at a great local nursery (which one?)
(34 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Buying a special plant(s) by mail (what caught your eye?)
(46 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Starting or reseeding my lawn
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Buying a new gadget or tool (what?)
(8 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Other?
(62 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Now that has dried out I can get the summer vegi garden in and then expand the existing flower beds and make 2 new ones. No trips to the nursery as of yet...but the season is young :).........Lauri

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I answered "putting in a new garden" because that is what I am most excited about - the new flower gardens I am installing on my property. But I could also add "Starting some plants from seed" (both indoors and my first winter sowing experiment) and "Buying a special plant(s) by mail" (maybe not special to anyone other than me - Blackmore & Langdon Begonia 'Saturn', Calla 'Gold Rush', Crocosmia 'Lucifer', Rose 'Ballerina', and a whole lot more).

West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

I AM excited about some new plants and WS, I had to vote for other because this year I have gotten into making dirt, my favorite new hobby...worms, I love them! They are just little eating/pooping machines! My goal for this summer is to increase my "Black Gold" output, that means a bigger worm bin, and more worms and its all so exciting! I see my worms and get goose bumps thinking about how my flowers will love me for this. : )

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I voted "other". This year I'm the most excited about my new sprinkler system going in! My husband and father-in-law just finished it on Saturday!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :0)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I voted new tool or gadget since I just got a greenhouse and I love love love it! (its jsut a really big gadget)

But I also am planning a new bed.. not excited yet since I can't figure out where it shoudl go and how it should lay. I have some issues with low lying ground and shade and I need a sunny bed

Danielson, CT

I've purchased quite a bit of tropical & exotic seeds off E-Bay this Fall , Winter & Spring. I'm looking forward to the challange of growing them my self here in CT Zone 5.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I spend wwwaaayyyy too much money on plants, (many of which don't survive because I'm so thrilled with the plant when I buy it but forget how long it takes to actually *plant* it.)

So this year I swore it would be seeds only (well, partially true!) and have done a number of them - it is *so* satisfying to sprout from seeds.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, I had to say other because I could have checked "All of the above".
I have several new tools a hole digger and weed getter that go on a drill. Also a long tube that you hook up to a water hose and it spins water to dig a hole up to 30"s deep. I also succumbed to QVC's "Rootblaster", Bonnie's 9 packs of mixed wizard coleus, my favorite cross town "Pop-up" Nursery.
Glasshouseworks has me and several others in suspense as to when our $100+ orders will be shipped of a rainbow of folage colors. We wait.........
I am starting the garden for the last shady area of my yard.
Jax Fla Garden did a massive clean-up for me and found all this wonderful dirt.
Already planted 4 hydrangeas as base plants there.
It's too hot to grow veggies in the summer, but will have tomatoes as long as they will have me.
Sidney

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I'm excited about a bunch of new plants I've ordered thru coops and other places. These are plants I've never grown before - dahlias, daylilies and iris. I can't wait to see what they do!

Gwen

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

I'm looking forward to seeing my seeds grow,i have a number of realy nice looking columbine this year and of course theres the hosta seed.
Just love getting to stuff to grow.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

have begun the construction of my new irrigation system - hopefully strange magic will click in and then it will rain.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

When I clicked other, in my mind I was saying "all the above". I am doing them all and very excited about every bit of it.

New land, new home, new gardens.

Molly
:^))))

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I, too, could have checked "all of the above" but since the Homeowners Association has relaxed the rules slightly (after 9 years, it's about time!) I'm working to build raised beds. I'm experimenting on a couple of them with wattle work, since I have all these chinaberry and hackberry saplings to dispose of. Also will try a few bentwood trellises, etc. Yuska

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

I am container designing the front of my 1900s-style 4-plex. I purchased special hanging baskets (Bloom Master) which will produced the bloom of 18" and 16" traditional baskets. There are 3 stairwells that lead down to the street, each has 2 6" posts at the bottom (total of 6 posts) where I'll place 12" ceramic pots full of flowering & foliage plants. Then at the bottom of the center stairwell, I will place 2 15" ceramic pots on the ground. Not to mention the 2 20" x 10" planters that will hang from the railings between the 3 stairwells. It's an ambitious project and I'm looking forward to it.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I purged alot of hoarded old seed packs this year (embarassed to admit this but over 200)! I made some new purchases even had a couple of nice reward seed splurges since I had kept to my budget so well this year:) I hope to try winter sowing this fall/winter since I discovered it too late for this season. I'd say I'm most excited about my seed selection and hopefully successful germ/growth.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I vote for new bed, although I am rearranging all my perennial and annual beds to improve plant health and appearance.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm putting in a new bed in my little yard, but I'm also buying my bedding plants from DeMonye's in Columbus for the first time this year. I was blown away by their selection, and thrilled that they are one of the few nursuries left that actually sell all their stock in the small seedling packs, instead of the big pots.

Can't wait to see how much further my flower money goes this year! Wish I had discovered DeMonye's years ago.

Colorado Springs, CO

Altho we've had lots of warm/hot for us weather, it's still early (Apr 24) so I'm not putting in things yet, BUT to balance that, I bought 2 huge pots; one a creamy yellow 30" diameter, 28" high looks like lapped over lotus leaves, and a brown with blue streads 4 foot tall urn. Neither require plants because they are such beautiful architectural items. I got the idea from an English garden designer book who used large pots as destination points for long garden paths.
Happy early season to 'most of you'.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I voted other.
We want this year;
# 1 a new woodworking shop.
# 2 redo the bathroom to make it handy for my wife who is slightly handicapped.
# 3 continue on with our house addition/remodeling.
If we get 1&2 done we will consider it a good year.
Bernie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I voted for a new tool. I ordered the No Mercy Weeding Tool and I'm looking forward to it and hoping that it weeds mulched beds as well as they say it does.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I voted other I`m looking forward to all the wonderful sprouts
I have from my First year of Winter Sowing.

Broaddus, TX(Zone 8b)

Zone 8b Broaddus, TX southeast
I'm surprised every Spring when I see a "surprise" plant that I was not expecting; one I had forgotten about. Also, the wind, birds, etc. drop seeds of various kinds which makes a "surprise" showing in the Spring.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

"insert sing song-y kid's voice here please"

I'm gettin a greenhouse - I'm gettin a greenhouse!!!!

Also seeds and veggie garden gettin goin

Brunswick, GA

I am most excited about thwarting the squirrels who dig up my plants as soon as I put them out.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I love to shop at the nurseries. It's so peaceful there and all the plants are in perfect condition and putting on their best show. It's so fun. My favorite nursery is Walter Anderson's in Poway, California. They even have a HUGE mini train set outside that runs through different themes and plants. It's very well done. :)

Missouri City, TX

New plants for me: Gourds - need to shade some windows and after looking at some pictures of the plants, think they would be perfect.

Still harvesting coriander from the winter cilantro that went to seed. Spring radished all gone, Bibb Lettuce still producing, parsley, dill, basal, varigated tarrigon, rosemary, and mint doing great.

Mantis busy enlarging the garden and chopping existing weeds. Best tool I ever bought for the garden - really eats St. Augustine sod.

Denver, CO

I have so many things to be excited about but I did setup some raised veggie beds, got alot of plants I overwintered thru trades (stuff I never knew existed) and of course seeds from trading. Geat experience this year.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I voted Other. Last year I tore down my other beds and gave away duplicates. I made a half moon bed and put all my red peonies, fern peonies, deep violet siberian iris, Husker Red penstemon, maltese cross, red coral bells, Casa Blanca lilies and a few other plants in. I can't wait to see what I have done. I did the same for the hosta. New bed and am putting red, and yellow, true from seed columbine behind them.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2006 3:00 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

billyporter,
Are you coming to Iowa Roundup ?
You can bring some of those plants!
Bernie

Encinitas, CA

I love all the great plants at our local nursery, Armstrong. The best selsection in town, and many plants I've never seen before.

Encinitas, CA

Oops, typo, I meant, "selection". : )

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

No Bernie, I won't make it this year. Sorry.

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm most excited about getting and trying some hardy Needel Palms (Rhapidophyllum hystrix), hardy bananas (Musa basjoo), hardy citrus (Poncirus trifoliata), hardy sugar cane (Saccharum arundinaceum and hardy tree yuccas (Yucca rostra) in my frigid zone 6 locale and seeing how they handle the winters around here. I'm ordering all but the Trifolate Oranges from Plant's Delight Nursery, and I've managed to get some co-workers and a local nursery in on the deal so's to save on shipping.

I'm more excited than a kid a Christmastime right now!

Madisonville, TX

I voted "putting in new garden" because I am making a new water garden! Still in the digging process, it's slow going since I'm doing this all by myself mostly. I've had a little help from my son and the tractor. When I'm finished it will be beautiful I hope!!

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 10:15 PM

Wareham, MA

I'm always about the hunt - always looking for that "different" daylily or other perennial ...this year it's PINK STRIPE coming, probly in a day or 2 :)

'Course there are a few other rare, special ones coming/or already here, so it's always a new garden bed or more too.

WISH I could say I had a greenhouse coming, I've been drooling over the GH catalogs for months ... but my little cold framy thing made from old windows sort of works, eating lettuce and spinach earlier than usual. Mystic, what kind of greenhouse are you getting?

dmac, I have an awful lot of hoarded seed packets too, some absolutely ancient. Always too optimistic about how much room I can make. Get excited when I find new seed varieties, too.

There wasn't a category to vote for this, but I am actually the very most excited that all of my daylilies made it through the winter!!!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I am so excited, someone will have to peel me off the ceiling one of those days. This is my first spring in Florida. Everything is growing and growing. I'm told that's just the beginning.

We got our first day lilly today. More to follow in the days to come. I rescued those last fall because the gardeners trimmed them weekly with the lawn mower. And they wondered why they wouldn't bloom. I think I know why.

We're going on a cruise next Sunday for 2 weeks... that's exciting.

I am introducing a water garden into my bed so I can grow lotus and tall papyrus. The lotus was ordered as seeds and they all germinated. We're going to have lotus to trade and give away as presents to gardening friends soon.

What else? Oh, I planted some tall cannas (6 feet or more) with red leaves and orange flowers. I can't wait to see those. They belonged to my friend Diane, who couldn't stand them any more.

What else? I planted some datura seeds and they're sprouting. Let's see the muskowi ducks munch on those!

What else? I don't know any more, there's too much. So much gardening ideas, so little time.

Sylvain.

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

I voted Other. I'm most excited about watching everything resprout from their winter slumber. I have ALOT of gingers and between the ones that automatically go dormant and the ones that got hit back by our cold weather in February I have many things sprouting and some even blooming!!!!

Thumbnail by birdlady_liz
Coral Springs, FL(Zone 10b)

I voted Other too. I'm really excited about the state of Florida finally lifting the ban on the sale of citrus trees...I'm getting two, a pink grapefruit and a temple orange...
Also getting certified by the National Wildlife Federation for my backyard...a lot of work but the cardinals, jays, eurasian doves, green anoles and rat snakes (yes, even a rat snake) keep it interesting, and fun!

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

We tore down the old barn last fall and left the cement floor. I now have a patio on the hill. My best friend gave me trunkloads of perennials to make flowerbeds beside and around the patio. We will be able to sit up there, in the shade, and enjoy the pond and all the nature that comes with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.