What new perennials have you added for 2006?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I was all excited about the new Caribbean Crush verbascum I got until I read how the color is disappointing. :-( Thanks for the tip on planting it near dark foliage plants. Here are the other plants I got:
Heuchera 'Sparkling Burgundy'
Heuchera 'Peach Flambe'
Panicum virgatum 'Rotstrahlbusch' (red switch grass)
Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegatum' (bishop's weed)
Convallaria majalis (lily of the valley)
Astilbe x arendsii 'America' (planted bareroot, and nothing is happening)
Athyrium niponicum var. pictum 'Silver Falls' (Japanese painted fern)
Dryopteris spinulosa (wood fern)
Gypsophila repens 'Rosea' (perennial baby's breath)
Daring Deception, Pink Delight, and Heidi Eidelweiss daylilies
Leucanthemum x superbum 'Wirral Pride' (shasta daisy)
Hosta 'Gold Standard'
Origanum rotundifolium 'Kent Beauty'
Paeonia lactiflora 'Felix Crousse' (again, planted bareroot and nothing is going on)
Tender perennials that I'm going to overwinter indoors:
Coleus 'Alabama Sunset'
Coleus 'Multicolor Rainbow'
Coleus 'Black Dragon'
Coleus 'Sedona'
Lantana camara 'Lucky Peach'

Tamara

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Tamara: I'm just telling you this for whatever it's worth to you -
Aegopodium looks lovely but spreads to the invasive point.
So does lily-of-the-valley.

Coleus overwinter, here, best in an east window - not much watering! I had some in the east window and some in the sunny kitchen window but in the hot sun, come April, they got infected with something so I put them outside and so far they're okay.

Good luck with all of them. Enjoy the planting and the flowers.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Tamara- let us know how Kent Beauty and Peach Flambe do, I am so curious...they look so pretty in the photos. I am also trying some grasses - pink Muhly grass and Miscanthus "Morning Light". Also Coleus Sedona and Kingswood Torch with Illustris Taro plant. I have never grown any Coleus before.

Went to a couple garden centers yesterday, and noticed the extroadinary number of peach and caramel color plants- some spectacular, others not so good. Very nice mixed up in huge hanging baskets.

I bought a corkscrew rush for my birdbath- took the dirt off and placed stones on top of the roots to hold it in place - I wonder if it will do o.k. and how to fertilize if birds are coming to drink? Oh, well. I guess I should have thought of that before I had the brilliant idea of putting it in the birdbath!

I

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.