United Kingdom

Victoria,, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the pics Lilypon ! My DH and I are off back to Scotland in June for three weeks (can you just imagine the accent when we return !) and your photos brought it a little closer. There is a large garden show in Edinburgh the day after we get there, which we already have tickets for, so I hope the jet lag is not too bad! I am hoping to travel to Tobermory, on the Isle of Mull, where my grandmother was born and I spent a summer there when I was young. It is the area of Paul McCartney's song "Mull of Kintyre", very misty, haunting and beautiful.
Heather

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Quoting:
(can you just imagine the accent when we return !
I'd give my eyeteeth to hear it again Heather. ;) There aren't any Scots that I know here anymore and how I miss Grandpa Jack's lovely Dumfries accent http://www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk/. Didn't always understand it but I sure loved hearing it.

They certainly will be giving you a rough time until you have it back up to their standards! ;) The Scots coach driver asked whose ancestors were from Scotland (6 of them put their hand up). He then asked from where? DS said that when his turn came the coach driver made him say "Isle of Barra" http://www.clanmacneil.ca/history2.htm over and over until DS had the accent/pronunciation exact.

I'm constantly bugging Milan (my puter runs really well now ;) since he has a rich German accent (very rare to hear it here)....another part of my bloodline (Swiss/German). He says when he goes home they roll their eyes every time he uses English. Doesn't take him too long to get it back. ;)

This message was edited Apr 24, 2006 2:14 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Heather oh the memories you just brought back. :) I remember the Christmas I bought Grandpa a little porcelain cottage (made in Scotland) that included little bricks of peat for burning inside it's fireplace as well as a Heather plant. In his usual Scots' directness he said the peat would stink but he smiled at his gift anyways. I had hoped it would make him homesick enough that he'd go back for a visit....... unfortunately it didn't work.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 9:57 AM

I think I've just been on a tour of England and Scotland too! I see after a dry winter with some glorious sunshine, it decided to be stereotypical English weather just for your son's visit.

We do have curly haired young men but the fashion is to cut their hair so short it's just stubble, hey and the reason we are short is because the sky is so low here ;)

After a fairly quick view, the following may fill in a little information for you, if you are looking for th identity of other images, please let me know, this is what I recognised.

You probably already know this Lilypon, but for those that don't, the ship moored by the lodgings is the Cutty Sark.

No. 38 is in Piccadilly Circus and the statue of Eros as the statue has come to be known, it's also thought to be The Angel of Christian Charity or Anteros (who was the brother of Eros). Whatever the statue is named, the bow is pointed up Shaftsbury Avenue.

The yellow stone buildings in the first photos of Bath look like The Royal Crescent. The whole of Bath glows in sunshine and from a distance looks golden on a sunny day.

MG99 Many of the buildings in Bath are protected by law and trying to get planning permission for a new building means jumping through a lot of hoops!

The statue at Edinburgh Castle is of Field Marshall Earl Haig.

It's a pity your son met people who told him to go home, how rude!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

It was but they told the group as a whole so he didn't take it personally. The ones that said it were also teens. ;S

LOLOL Baa four generations of the Brit side of my family have been here....married some tall Swiss/German men along the way and even with the endless skies of the prairies we've only gained a 1/2 inch on the preceeding generation. Those English/Scots genes are hard ones to change. ;) You've answered a ? I've had for a loooooooong time...... I always wondered where our curly hair came from. :)

Thank you so much for the names, I'll edit the above.....DS just read what you posted above and he said he knew that a couple had those names (he'd gotten tired of my endless questions). The two statues names and the Royal Crescent he had forgotten (or didn't know). Thank you so very much! Ü

Barb, my Oxfordshire co-worker, found it difficult to name some of the places at Oxford. She's decided it's time for a return trip (she also said she misses England terribly but she's grown rather fond of the sunshine here ;).

This message was edited Apr 24, 2006 7:32 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Two final pics......I think these were taken in York. This one reminds me somewhat of Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter movies.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2006 9:34 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This scene we had as a screensaver prior to his trip......DS grinned when he saw it and now we have his.

Thumbnail by Lilypon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.