Miracle Grow add

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Heather, the rabbit food also contains some molasses which merely aids fermentation for alfalfa tea.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Remind me again what this experiment is trying to prove...I got lost in Heathrjoy's post. Which is why she's my funny bone!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, well keep your funny bone real close if you venture into the Soil & Composting forum. Someone over there is grinding up creamated animals and using them in the garden. "Grinding up" as in w/ a hammer. I'm not kidding, I wouldn't make this one up. I'd make up a lot of stuff, but not this. I guess in a way that's organic. I find it totally sickening, but it's organic. Yuck. I'm doing the spider dance now. I have to admit I'm laughing as I'm gagging. Who would think of such a thing?

Benjamin. Pay attention. This thread is about proving I can stay on topic! Sheesh. I'm fine till you show up. We want to test MG against many other products, including organic ways of fertilizing and see what results we get. I think what we're doing.....oh sheesh.....is that Steve is going to test more on the side of fert vs fert directly. I'm going to test soil vs soil. What we are trying to get is THEE plant pictured in the MG ad. Or a fert or soil that is as good as, or better, than MG...possibly an organic that's easy and cheap to make. Now, pay attention, cuz I'm not going thru that again!

I wonder how long it'll take me to get the image of someone pounding creamated animal remains w/ a hammer out of my head? and why do I have to picture them wearing fur skins like they are cave men? Oh, this is horrible. Can we all agree that any living thing that once made a sound is NOT to be inculded in our range of organic matters used? I just can't do that.

Heathrjoy,
Why are you ok 'til I show up? I am at my desk at work, and YOU showed up with this cremated animal AND bear skins! I have TEARS rolling down my face, and unless my co-workers think I have onions in my pocket, I'm hard pressed to explain why I am CRYING! I AM DYING LAUGHING OVER HERE without making a sound!! So WHO showed up???!@#$@^$^!@4

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Here, check out the conversation for yourself, it's actually interesting, but strange. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/588887/#new

I must say tho, it's not my fault what you get paid to do. That's between you and your boss. Ahem.

I apologize for bringing the ashes and bear skin to your office. Next time I'll just leave them in your car.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

What do you think bone meal, fish emulsion, and dried blood is? Fertilizer that a lot of organic proponents say is okay.

Of course, there is an expert on Mad Cow disease who believes bone meal can spread the disease to humans through the use of this type of fertilizer on edible plants. That is pretty scary stuff.

The experts also say that is one of the ways Mad Cow disease is spread to other cows - feeding healthy animals bone meal from infected animals.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, HCM, I can see what you're saying. I wonder how much bone meal comes from cows tho? How many of those cows actually had Mad Cow disease? Is bone meal made from cows overseas or just US cows?

All this stuff gives me the willies...aka spider dance.

For those who don't know, Mad Cow disease is caused in cows from them eating other cows. I can't remember all the details right now, and I'm not going to research all of this again unless I NEED to. What I do remember is it all started way back when.......farmers added sheep to the cow's feed. Then, didn't the sheep eat it too and got sick and it jumped to the cows? Or they added cow to the feed of the cows and they got Mad Cow disease. In any case it all boiled down to animal cannibalism, basically. It's something spongiform....something like that. Oh, the things I used to know!

If that were in a bag of bone meal and someone inhaled it from the dust I would imagine they could contract it. However, most cows in the US are put down and destroyed if Mad Cow is even suspected. Then they are tested. YES, I do believe that most all cases are reported.

There is also a big, BIG, BIG difference between buying bone meal and making your own w/ a hammer from supplies you got from the local animal shelter!! (spider dancing again) I think bone meal is something I'll always buy, no matter how much of a diy-er I am. I know I'd end up hammering the poor stray I was feeding the week before. No thanks!

BTW, I really don't like this subject. It's gross, although it does have humous undertones at times. I guess that's why I originally brought it up. I'm still just stunned that anyone would make their own bone meal. That's got to be pretty nasty. Is bone meal that expensive? I'm going to be doing the spider dance all night now. Ewwwww.

Heathrjoy,
I went to the site. That's a whole other world over there in Cremation Land. Yep, they are really serious.

Anyway, I'm back to reality...

San Diego, CA

Holy Beejeezus - I can't believe it. I almost spit up my Pepsi while reading this from that forum when asked, "How are you grinding up the bones?"

Reply: "I used to put them in a cement mixer with medium stones and large stones and turn it on for an hour."

I think I'm going to go buy a bunch of used cement mixers and sell them on eBay. I can see it now, "Bone Cruncher - A Must Have for the Serious Gardener. Don't toil with old cremated animal bones any longer. Our exclusive BONE CRUNCHER will do the trick in no time. Why use a hammer and a plastic grocery bag? No folks, the BONE CRUNCHER will handle even the largest animal bones and turn them to a fine powder faster than you can gut and dismember a squirrel. Turn those pesky hard bones into a useful and organic soil additive. How many times have you come across roadkill and passed it by because you didn't want to slave over beating it's bones to smithereens? With the BONE CRUNCHER, simply leave roadkill in the sun for a few days and then toss it our mixer with a few large rocks. Turn on the machine and within a few hours, voila....freshly powdered bones for your garden. Don't wait folks, get the BONE CRUNCHER now! And so affordable too. Stones, roadkill, bones, and a strong stomach not included."

Thumbnail by chunx
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I knew you all didn't believe me. That thread makes me gald that I've personally buried every animal I've ever had that passed away.

The bone cruncher sounds like it sure would work tho. But, imagine your nosy neighbors coming over to see what the ruckous is all about...."What ya got in that tumbler anyway? Sure is making a lot of noise!"

Owner: "Oh, just some big rocks, bricks, and some bones."

Then invite the neighbor to dinner and see if he shows up! Betcha a bag o' bone meal he doesn't!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

See what you started, Steve?

(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I see what I started now ;) I'm sooo tired and should really go to bed now, so I'll read the new posts in the morning.......(Zzz)

Good Night All!
Steve

Phoenix, AZ

I use fish emulsion and compost I make myself... seems to do OK in my garden. Frankly, I think that the alkaline soil in Phoenix that is starving for organic material can't thrive JUST on MG.... needs the organic stuff big time.

Did you guys miss me at all? I'm feeling neglected. I'M ON MY LUNCH HOUR...are most of you folks retired, or what? Independently wealthy?

In case anyone's interested, I had Bean Curd and shredded pork from a 5-Star Chinese restaurant. I was being ADVENTUROUS. Asked a co-worker from Viet Nam what Bean Curd was and he described it as the "starchy extract product from the bean, highly nutritious, and a good vegetarian staple. It is made up into a "paste" that is a little tighter consistency than potatoes, only smoother." He said it was very nutritious, but I needed to know if it was GOOD.

Went to pick it up and commented on never having bean curd before, so the hostess opens the take out to let me see. I said, "It looks like TOFU." She says, "Yes, bean curd is tofu -- tofu is bean curd." So, I feel rather safe, since I've eaten tofu in many dishes before.

Folks, let me tell yah something. All tofu ain't created equal! It's sort of like taking home a seed packet marked one way, and ending up with a totally foreign cultivar!

Think of this consistency as square egg custard that, by some miracle of God, manages to hold a square shape. And, I love egg custard. But, not unsweetened, in a brown sauce,
with a side of ginger and jalapenos. Brain couldnt handle too much of it. Needed serious roughage. Oh, sorry, I digress...I thought I was Heathrjoy.

HEY HEATHRJOY -- I'M BACK.........

(Zone 6a)

I was going to do 1 impatiens plant per a 6" pot. I guess my reason for picking shade impatiens is cause they're cheap, not fussy and they seem to like to get fertilized regularly, so I thought they'd be a good choice. Can anyone think of any other plants we should try? As for the smashing animal bones........thats weird......and GROSS!!! ick, ick, ick!!!

Chunx - ROLFL!!! I wonder how many people would buy it? Probably alot! But not me.

I read the new posts earlier, but couldn't reply till now...so I might have missed a question or something.....so just ask again if you want :)

Steve

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Having lunch here too...a granola bar and a breakfast bar. There, I'm done.

Sounds good to me Steve. Anyone have suggestion for a perennial also?

Benny, I'm wealthy, just not independantly. I can't tell you where the money comes from, so don't bother asking. Let's just say I have to "wash" it a lot. On my way to the laundromat now........

(Zone 6a)

For a perennial try Delphinium? I know their heavy feeders.
So maybe they would be good?

Steve

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Delphiniums sound great. I have a ton I started from seed, so I have them on hand. Mama plant is here too. Delphis it is then! Steve, you're just starting a big ole container garden for me, aren't ya? ;-)

(Zone 6a)

Hmm, container garden.....
I've thought of trying a perennial container garden....but haven't yet....

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Maybe this is the year to try it then. Has anyone else checked out the pots at Dollar General? They have some nice ones for pretty cheap. Some really, really big ones (big enough for trees) for $7. 6" pots are $1, in green or terra cotta color. If you don't like their colors you can always get a can of spray paint for $1 too, LOL. I may just buy them out this year.

(Zone 6a)

I don't think we have Dollar General here....but theres a dollar store by our WM thats the size of a small department store. I seem to remember they had some good gardening stuff a few months ago. So I want to check it out again soon.

I already raided my locaL Dollar General. I bought all they had at one. Heathrjoy, would those be big enough to put my Stuttgart Cannas in? One per pot? Or should I go larger?

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know how big Stuttgarts get, I'm not familiar w/ them. I don't remember the measurements on the pot either. The ones here are big enough to plant a weeping cherry in for sure.

(Zone 6a)

Heather - Did we have a date set to start our experiments? How's the second Saturday in June?

Steve

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Unfortunately the 2nd Sat in June may not be very good for me. I may be going to a plant swap about 3 hours away.

I still haven't figured out how many different types of soil I want to test, so I don't know how big of deal the date will be for me. I guess I better get my act together here. If I'm only going to pot up a few things and can have stuff ready ahead of time it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'll see if I can get this figured out today and get back to you so we can get the date set.

(Zone 6a)

Ok, thanks Heather.

Steve

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

What are the suggestions for what I should test?

This is what I was thinking....

MG potting soil

Osmocote in plain potting soil w/ perlite

Potting soil w/ perlite fertilized w/ alfalfa tea (organic test), I can also add fish emulsion from my fish tank to this if needed or that could be a separate test

My own mix, trying to make my own MG potting soil...will include Osmocote, peat, composted pine bark, etc (things listed way back in this thread)

What am I forgetting? I'm tired today. Would anyone suggest a better mix than plain old potting soil w/ perlite mixed in for my base? I want this to be fair. I'd be willing to try multiple soil mixes for my base. Please tell me now so I don't have to buy everything all at once!

(Zone 6a)

What you have there seems like a good number of things to test, I wouldn't try too many at once.
So far I'm going to use regular potting soil, 6" pots and use impatiens as my test plants. I'm testing MG vs. no MG and also Schultz fert vs. no fert. I also have some AV food so I might test that too to see if it actualy gives me more blooms or something.

Steve

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds good!

If anyone else happens by this thread, I'm still open to ideas for the soil test.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Heather,

I just recently read a lot of stuff on the alfafa threads. One thing that was mentioned was to make sure that the pellets did not have salt added. The man at my feed store said the molasses is used to simply hold the pellet together--it's also a small amount. I think I also recall that it's alfafa pellets that they feed horses not the ones for rabbits, but maybe there's no difference. There was a lot of stuff to digest on the alfafa threads.

Also have read many seed starters on DG make reference to using Pro Mix--I'm not sure who makes that or what it is cause I don't have it in my area.

This will be interesting to see your results. I've always used MG in a garden hose sprayer and never had a problem with burning. Also feel that MG potting soil is one of the best for potting plants. I don't use it for seeds though; I use a soil-less mix from a nursery (I think called Sunshine something or other) for starting seeds or starting caladium bulbs early.

Patty

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Patty. The alfalfa pellets that I'm getting are for horses...that's really about all I know about them. There's been a problem getting over to pick them up, I handed the task off to my SIL who has now handed it off to my DB. We'll see what ends up happening. I'm wondering if the poor guy who owns the feed store will ever order for me again!! So, when I do get them, I doubt I'll be asking many questions.

I really think we can come up with our own MG potting soil mix and prolly cheaper. It may cost more up front to mix our own, but it'll be cheaper in the long run.

About ProMix, that confuses me too, honestly. I really didn't want to admit that, but I guess it's time to! One of my local nursery owners sells a promix, but it's just what he uses to grow his stuff in. I do think there is also a soil that's brand name is ProMix...or maybe not. This is what confuses me. Someone please tell me! I would like to try the ProMix or promix, whatever the case may be, in this test as well. Other than this one nursery I don't know of anyone who carries any type of this. I would really like to know what's in it...but I don't think anyone is going to tell us that. If it's a brand name then it'll be listed on the bag, if it's just a nursery mix then every nursery is going to have a different mix and there'll be no way of knowing what they use unless you worked there...or the nursery workers would share secrets.

Could you please make a link to the alfalfa thread? Or tell me what forum it's in and what the name of the thread is? I haven't seen it and would like to look it over, I'm sure there's lots of info there that I'd learn a lot from. I've never done alfalfa tea before and would like to avoid any surprises!! LOL

Thanks!
Heather

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Heather,

Here's the one I read, but there are also more threads out there on this topic:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/433894/

Patty

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Patty!

(Zone 6a)

I've seen ProMix before and it's a brand name.
You could try googling it.

Steve

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I picked up ProMix at Home Depot. I'm going to try Morning Glories in it. From what I can see, it does not contain any fertilizer and that was what I was looking for.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I will google it, good idea.

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

Steve, The Miracle Grow soil really does work. I mix it into my soil when planting and everything grows like crazy. I never used to do this, but since I have, there is a big difference. I also use it in pots. The ad is not an exaggeration. I had begonias that were about a foot and a half tall. I didn't pinch them of course, as they were used as an edging in a border. In addition to the potting mix, I use the Miracle Grow bloom booster when the plant is established and is ready to really flower up. I use self-watering pots, so they are getting a constant supply of that as I ad it to the water at the base of the pot. If you think about it, that is what the plant Nurseries do. They are being fed every time they are watered. At least the nursery I frequent most does as I talked to the owner as I was curious. Hope this helps. Happy gardening to you.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Heather

I'd like to know what you find out about Pro Mix; I did look on the net awhile back and I'm trying to remember what I found. Premier Pro Mix maybe . . . not sure though. Post the link if you find something; I'd like to check it out.

Thanks,

Patty

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Haven't had a chance to do my googling yet, LOL. When I do I'll post the results of what I find here. I'm hoping I find the guaranteed analysis of the brand name ProMix, and if so, I'll post the contents here. If I do find out what's in ProMix and I can get the stuff myself I'm planning on adding it to my test.

Going to Google now....

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The ProMix I got last year from a garden center (not a big box store) had NO fertilizer. Howecer, it was a wonderful planting medium. I'd buy it again, even at the cost.
edited for typo

This message was edited May 13, 2006 1:44 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.