Miracle Grow add

(Zone 6a)

I saw this add in a magazine for Miracle Grow potting soil. I think the 'finished product' in the add is a bit exaggerated. Can a tuberous begonia actualy get that big with so many flowers? Does the soild really work that well? I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks! :)

Steve

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I love Miracle Grow and have been using it for years. Last summer my sister asked me to pot up her summer annuals for the first time, so I did. I got a call from her one day and she was just going wild about her plants. So I drove up to have a look and of course, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until she showed me pictures of her plants from the summer before. Her pot of impatients were four times the size from the previous summer, I kid you not. And while her geraniums looked just like miine, she was getting raves from all the neighbors wanting to know where she got them. I highly recommend MG.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i use in on my vegetable plants all the tme.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Some tuberous begonias get HUGE blooms and the plant can literally be smothered with blooms. Fertilizer is important as well as other parameters. The best thing to prove anything is to experiment - one plant with a fertilizer and another without. If you have several plants of the same thing, then you can try one fertilizer on one plant and so forth. Some plants may respond better to a particular fertilizer and another plant may respond better to a different fertilizer. Same goes for light conditions, pot size, watering schedules, etc.

Here's an example of some for sale:

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=471

(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone for responding! :) I do use MG myself, but I just wonderd if the dirt actualy worked that well. I thought the ad looked a bit exaggerated, but maybe it was just me! LOL I'm going to do an experiment like HC said. Just so I can see the actual difference.

Happy Gardening,

Steve :)

That's very true. You wouldn't want to plant something that really likes poor soil in MG. All you will get is a lot of foliage and few blooms. I don't think I'd plant nasties or morning glories in MG.

Steve, you're probably experiencing the same as me with my sister's pots. I didn't see anything special about her pots because that's my expectation and what I'm use to seeing.

One thing I don't know is if there is anything on the market that is like MG. That would be an interesting experiment if there is a comparable , competing product. We'd all like to find something cheaper, but I'm not willing to give up performance for price.

(Zone 6a)

I've seen a fertilizer in the Park Seed catalogue before called AlgoFlash that supposedly gives amazing results. Heres the link http://www.algoflash.com/ I've never tried it before though.

Steve

(Zone 6a)

But on the other hand...I don't think I want my geraniums turning into trees.
Imagine that in a window box? It would look kind of funny :)

Steve

San Diego, CA

Steve - I fell victim to the Algoflash hype. It's just another fertilizer, nothing special and sure didn't live up to it's claim. It worka better as a foliar spray (I think) than watering with it. Still, nothing spectacular.

(Zone 6a)

Thanks Chunx for the tip on algoflash. Cause when you see it you think 'wow that's amazing'. But now I know.
Can I use MG as a foliar fertilizer?

Steve

MG has a whole line of ferts. I won't use the liquid. Had a small operator problem one year and ended up killing off a portion of my lawn (LOL).

(Zone 6a)

I use the blue powder type and I just wondered if I put it in a sprayer(after it's mixed :) if I could just spray it on my plants as a foliar? maybe at half strength or something?

Steve

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I've used MG for years. It's really the only thing I've ever used. I started using their soil last year. I've used it as a foliar spray for years also...on veggies and flowers and lawn, everything seems to love it. I use one of pre-mix sprayers that attaches to the hose....just dump the blue powder in it, set it and go to spraying. I never took gardening too seriously until the last 2 years, but I always had very nice looking plants and flowers because of the MG...and I never amended my soil other than for veggies. Our tomatoes produced like mad, but often the plants themselves looked horrible...probably from not enough water (we used regular MG on them, not tomato MG). I don't think I've ever killed anything w/ MG. I also read once where someone took MG powder and sprinkled it right around the base of very heavy feeders (like Brugs & Dats) and then watered like crazy...I got up the nerve and tried it and it worked great. I was afraid it would burn, but it didn't. I've even gotten the blue powder on plants and washed it off...no problems.

I want to try the new MG liquafeed system. It just looks easier that all that fooling around w/ the powder...but we'll see. It doesn't seem too expensive, but again, we'll see. If it's too expensive I'll continue w/ the powder, it's worked this long and never seemed too hard to use.

I like the soil also. I use the Potting Mix...even in the garden. I also want to try the garden soil. The only problem I've had w/ it is that it comes w/ some seeds of something in it. I've used it for indoor pots and gotten grass or something growing in it. It's not a big deal, just pick it out when it sprouts and not every pot gets it. Just look when you're watering. I use MG for my Brugs, but have to fertilize over top of what's in the soil, and I use MG powder for that. It seems to work well for me, I don't have a lot else available in my price range.

I did use the MG seed starting mix this year because that's all that was available. I wasn't overly impressed. I didn't see much difference, although there could have been, who knows? Most of my seeds were harvested rather than commercial, so there may have been a problem there. The commercial seeds have come up wonderfully in abundance. I'll be starting more seeds in a mix I'm making myself soon. One thing I did experience w/ the MG that I've NEVER had w/ a seed starting mix before is mushrooms! I really don't like that, but it's possible that I overwatered and caused a fungus to form...but I don't like that it grew so easily or so quickly. It's a hard call. If that grew so quick and easy does that mean my seeds are doing better? I'm picking out the 'shrooms and they don't seem to be causing much problems. I'm also going to start a chamomile tea spray. This stuff does hold water very well, I really do like not having to water constantly or trying to remember the last time I watered (I'm too forgetful sometimes).

Overall, I really like their products and don't have many complaints. Don't use MG on morning glories tho, whoever said that is 100% correct!! I'd been doing that for years and found out that's why mine hardly ever bloomed, while my neighbors planted in grocery store potting soil looked like prize winners. She does use MG powder once or twice a month but sparingly.

If you do an experiment please, please post your results. I'm very interested to see the results. I'd love to do that, but won't have time to for a couple years. I guess the big thing about MG is it's available, it's not overpriced, and you do see some difference even if it's not as much as they promise. Maybe if we had 1 plant and dedicated all our love and care to that one plant and used all MG products we would see as much difference as they promise...but w/ an entire garden full of plants every single plant cannot get the exact care it needs. I'm sure the plant in the pic had 'round the clock care & airbrushing to boot! I'm also sure it was raised in a gh with a controlled environment and perfect lighting! Match all that and you may match their results. Now, there's an experiement I'd LOVE to try! :)

Sorry for rambling, but I hope somewhere in there I said something that helped. LOL!
Heather

(Zone 6a)

Thanks Heather, I enjoyed reading your post and didn't find it rambly at all :) If I do an experiment I'll be sure to post the results. I like how you said the plant was probably airbrushed!!! HAHAHA! There's not even a brown edged flower or leaf on it! I've never used the MG soil of any kind, this year I used an organic seed starting mix that I got at the hardware store and I've had really good results. It was nice and fluffy and nothing else but what I planted came up. Your mushroom thing is weird though. That would sound to me like the mix(seed starting mix at that!) wasn't sterilized properly.

Steve

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I thought mushrooms meant you had healthy soil --lots of organisms, composted material, etc... I get them all the time in my yard. Is the appearance of mushrooms a bad thing?

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I honestly didn't research the 'shroom thing at all. I just assumed (which you're never supposed to do, I know) that 'shrooms meant fungus...since that's what they basically are, right?

I don't know what exactly 'shrooms showing up means, now that I consider all the info. If I have time I'll look it up and let you know what I find out.

I really didn't like the idea of them showing up in w/ my seeds tho. I don't want some monster mushroom eating my baby seedlings when I turn my back! However, that's not happened. I don't know if I even have the bag left from the mix, but if I do I'm going to look and see if they use mushroom compost or mushroom anything in it.

I'll solve this mushroom mystery yet! What's really odd is Neem didn't affect the 'shrooms, whether they were already up or not up yet...no affect at all. Do-do do-do, do-do do-do....."You are now entering the Twilight Zone"

I'm sure there's a simple answer, we're just not thinking of it. We're too smart to think simple. ;-P he he

Oh, Steve, I betcha that plant was airbrushed!! I don't think much goes to print these days w/ out the final touch of the airbrush! Is there such a thing as the "perfect plant"? I've never really seen one, but my experience is very limited. I've never seen a live perfect Christmas tree either...but the fake ones are perfect, except they aren't live.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

From Organic Gardening magazine, July/August 2000

Miracle-Gro is a synthetic fertilizer that contains ammonium phosphate and several other chemicals that can be toxic to your soil and plants.

It is prohibited from use in certified-organic farming.

Here’s what soil expert Robert Parnes, Ph.D., says in his book Fertile Soil: [Ammonium fertilizer] acidifies the soil, and thus it is probably more harmful to soil organisms than any other nitrogen fertilizer. The application has to be timed carefully and placed properly to avoid burning the leaves and roots.

In addition, ammonium tends to inhibit the release of potassium. Ammonium fertilizers are deliberately manufactured to be spread at high application rates in order to obtain maximum yields with no regard to adverse effects on the soil.

Probably nowhere is the conflict between the mass production of food to feed the world and the preservation of the soil more obvious than in the confrontation over the use of either ammonium fertilizers or liquid ammonia.

And there’s more: long-term studies at the University of Wisconsin have shown that acidic chemical fertilizers are causing serious, permanent damage to our soils. Usually these fertilizers are also highly soluble, so they leach away and pollute our water systems, too.

Soil fertility authority Garn Wallace, Ph.D., of Wallace Laboratories in El Segundo, California, points out that Miracle-Gro contains muriate of potash, which contains excess chlorine that will burn plants and inhibit the uptake of nitrogen.

Dr. Wallace also warns that products such as Miracle-Gro often contain unsafe levels of zinc and copper that will be toxic to soil life.

And if all that’s not enough to convince you to avoid this stuff, consider this: you have to mix Miracle-Gro with water and apply it ever "7 to 14 days."

If you opt to fertilize organically, on the other hand, all you have to do is mix a ½-inch layer of grass clippings into your beds before each crop. As the grass decomposes, it will improve your soil’s texture and stimulate microbial life and help prevent disease, all while releasing plenty of nutrients to feed your plants.

(For full details on organic fertilizers, see How to Fertilize Your Garden, Organic Gardening, July/August 2000.)
--KATHY BAUMGARTNER, Fremont, Michigan

"Real Gardeners Grow Without Miracles!"

Read the old thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/441806/

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I'll stick to MG and other synthetics, thank you for the organic updates though.

(Zone 6a)

Heather, I assumed the same as you that mushroom meant fungus and I wouldn't think thats good....especially coming from a brand like MG!

AwShucks, I don't think shrooms in your yard is bad(we get them too), but I wouldn't think they're very good in seed mix as it's supposed to be quite 'clean' to prevent your seedlings from falling victim to soil born diseases.

Thank-you for the organic gardening information Darius, but I think I agree with Hcmcdole and I'll stick with my miracle grow.

Steve

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10b)

The new MiracleGro fertilizing system is great! I love it so much I sold off all my bags of the blue stuff! You just screw it into the sprayer and off you go. No muss, no fuss. And the bottle empties so you know when it's done. No more wondering if I should stop because it's not very blue and then worrying I'll over fertilizer whatever I dump the leftover liquid in the container. And no blue hands! One caution...be sure to aim the sprayer away from your face when you turn it on. I had a couple "incidents" (I probably shouldn't admit to it but I want to save someone else from doing it :-} )

San Diego, CA

I used MiracleGro for years also, still do on some things. I switch back and forth, try all sorts of new stuff, Spray-N-Grow (this year), Mighty Plant, Algoflash, Peters, ahhhhh, you name it, I've probably tried it. Sorry, but I don't think there is that much difference between all the hype. Last year I even bought some really cheap stuff at the dollar store and it worked fine.

Now I'm not going to preach or anything about organic fertilizers, but I can tell you this, if you've ever been to the Salton Sea here in So. Cal., you'll know what synthetic fertilizers used in large quantities does to a huge body of water. Not only do you see dead fish and birds all over the place, but the water is a weird reddish color and you can smell it from 50 miles away. The salt has rusted everything around it. All that stuff washes into the Salton Sea from runoff from commercial farms. I keep hoping I'll see a 3 eyed fish, but I haven't yet. I'm pretty sure there are few in there along with a monster or two.

I've used organic lawn fertilizers and the earthworms came back, but it wasn't nearly as green and I had to keep applying iron and stuff to green it up. I'm back to Scotts Turfbuilder and natural Bov-a-Mura. I guess that makes me 50/50.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Jooolster, that sounds great. Thanks for admitting your incidents too, but don't worry, even w/ warning, if there's a way to squirt myself in the face I'll find it!

Darius, this may sound like I just crawled out from under a rock, but I didn't know you were all organic. That's cool, good for you! I hope someday I can be. I don't even have a compost pile yet, but hope soon I will. Maybe once my little duckies start getting in rows......I can pick them off one at a time! Thanks for the info, that's really something to think about.

Ok, I had a discussion w/ my local nursery owner today. I learned something new...happens everyday. Today I learned that MG soil contains....basically, Osmocote. I didn't know that...maybe some of you did. Why didn't I/we realize it's the same thing? Ok, doing a bit of nosing around, here's how it breaks down from what I see.

I'm writing this as I'm researching it. I've also never used Osmocote, so I'm figuring that out as I go too.

First I'm going to compare the MG potting soil. It's 21-7-14. Which broken down is a ratio of 3:1:2. Osmocote has the same in it's classic line, offering Hi-Start, Standard and Lo-Start (each of these are specific to when the individual plant needs fertilized the most). See link here http://www.scottsprohort.com/_documents/tech_sheets/H6109OsmocoteClassic.pdf . Ok, so that's comparable. Definately. I think it was Junglebob that just posted in the Coleus forum that one of these Osmocotes is on sale at Dollar Tree this week for $1 for a 2lb package...I'll be there tomorrow scarfing it all up...don't anyone touch my supply!! (um, I mean that!)

Alright, now the other ingredients of the soil are......
(as copied from the bag).......
"This product is formulated from 55-65% Canadian sphagnum peat moss, composted softwood bark, perlite, a wetting agent and fertilizer (see below)."

All righty then, the fertilizer part ("see below" part) we already coverd.

It's 1/2 Can sphag peat moss. I've learned a few things about peat moss recently. #1 it can give you a very big headache and sometimes. I always thought peat was peat. Now I find out that Canadian is the best. It has to be sphagnum. What??? I just went and looked at my bag of peat that I bought so early this year the new year's stock wasn't in yet...it was left over from last year...left outside and was frozen when I bought it. I paid no attention to what I bought, I bought peat. Well, guess what!! It is Canadian! It is Sphagnum! Of course it's peat, and it says moss too. Other than the french writing all over the bag I'd never have guess it was Canadian, but way down at the bottom right corner where I couldn't see it was a circle w/ a maple leaf that said "Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss." It didn't say it anywhere else on the bag. If I had asked for it like that they wouldn't have been able to supply it. Sheesh. Stuck up peat-mossers! So, now I'm wondering if we've all been using the fancy stuff all along and not known it? Go check your bags, I bet you've got it on hand.

Ok, next ingredient was....Composted Softwood Bark. To me, that translates to Pine Bark...composted. What else would that be? Pine is softwood for anyone who doesn't know. If you drive your car into a pine tree you won't agree, however, if you have a piece of pine furniture try scratching the back of it w/ your fingernail. I say the back because it scratches very easily. Oak or maple is hardwood and won't scratch like that. I mean you can make an indent in it w/ just your fingernail!! My wonderful cats ruined my pine armoir and headboard by jumping on top of them....but I digress.....back to the dirt at hand. Pink Bark. How hard is that to come by? Not very. In some places they have free delivery to your home from the community...how nice! Not here tho. We would have to pay, buying bags from Wal-Mart. I would suppose that it would be no trouble at all to buy an amount of this, dump it all into a pile and just allow it to compost for as long as you like, or as long as it needs to. Just turn it like you would a compost pile. I'm thinking keep it covered, stuff would grow in it. This is only if it's not sold composted...it may be, I don't know. I've never bought it either. Being that this is listed as the 2nd ingredient I'm guessing there's a lot of it in this soil. Next is perlite, and you just don't see a lot of perlite when you look at this soil.

Ok, on to the Perlite. Not a lot, we said that. There are 3 grades of Perlite. Small, medium and large...or fine, medium and coarse. I'd go for medium. Should suit more plants. Too fine plugs up the holes in pots and the bottom of the bag is loaded w/ dust. I've never used the coarse myself, I've never had a need to. But if a specific plant would call for it you could mix some up just for that plant.

Last is "a wetting agent." Hmm. Well, at least it's not a double agent, it could be worse. I just read about wetting agents on Tom Clothier's site last night. This is actually talking about soiless mixes for seed starting, however I think every word of it applies. To quote what's written there "Wetting agents are water absorbing polymers available in gel, liquid, or powder form. The amount of wetting agent added to your germination mix determines the ability of the mix to absorb water from the bottom. Watering seedlings from the bottom is one of several techniques used to reduce the incidence of damping-off. Therefore, I make bottom absorption my number one criteria in evaluating a commercial germination mix, and do not have to add wetting agents myself. They can be purchased to improve homebrew mixes, and make an excellent additive in gel form when repotting indoor plants. Peat and bark progressively lose their ability to retain and uniformly distribute water and chemicals to the rootzone." http://tomclothier.hort.net/page12.html How about that last sentence? Make sure you add some water crystals or whatever you like to the mix.

Soooo, out of all of this the only thing I'm not sure of is the composted Pine Bark. It shouldn't be too hard to come by tho, even if you have to wait a few months to get it. I'm going to look for some and see what's out there...anyone know for sure? Also, I'll be checking every bag/brand of peat I see for that little maple leaf stamp. I thought Can sphag peat moss was something special the way some folks talk about it. Here, I had bags of it just sitting around and never knew it. I done struck peat gold! (I'm just kidding for those that love this stuff!)

Ok, if you made it this far, congrats, I don't think I did.
Night all,
Heather

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, Darius or Chunx, or anyone, do me a favor...if you can or have time. Tell me what to add or change in the above soil mix to make it organic but just as rich for the plants. If we want to do a test, let's do it. How hard would it be to make this organic instead? Would I just leave out the Osmocote and add something else? What would I add instead? I'm really interested in this, I'd love to try it.

Thanks,
Heather

San Diego, CA

Heather - I am certainly not an organic gardner, but you would probably have good luck with sticking a multi-vitamin with iron (get them at a dollar store) in each pot, fertilize with liquidfied fish and kelp, and add a dash of Epsom salts.

Heather, I'm not 100% organic yet, but close. I do buy the MG potting soil with water absorbing bits for my few potted plants. As for fertilizers, I use fish emulsion and alfalfa tea.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much! I really appreciate both of your replies. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult or time consuming to do the organic equivalent of MG then. Fish emulsion sounds like the the thing to use, you both mentioned it. I need some fish e for some Coleus right now anyway. I've never used it before either. Lots of stuff I've never used before...and I'm going to enjoy this.

Everything Chunx said I am familiar w/...I've at least read about it. Alfalfa tea, however......I know I've read about that, but I can't recall all the info. I'm going to have to look that up. I don't know if I can get my hands on that, or if I can it may take a while.

I just called my local Dollar Tree and they don't have the Osmocote in. Bummer. I'm going to call them for the next couple of weeks to see if they get it in.

Steve, are you around? What did you start here? I seem to remember saying I'd love to see the results of a test like this, but wouldn't have the time to do it for a couple years. Are you going to do any tests? If so, what are you going to test and what type of plants do you plan on using? When do you plan on starting? If I do tests also should we use the same type of plants? That could be cool for the results...our zones aren't that far off of one another's. Maybe we could even start at the same time, in the same size pots...if you're using pots...I will have to use pots since I'll be testing soil. Please don't start too soon, I need time to get organized (find out what alfalfa tea is) and gather supplies. Pay day isn't till Friday. Hopefully my hubby will be into this test, so far he's been into all the others and funded them!

Let me know what you think and what you're up to. I'm really wondering. This could really produce some neat findings! I also wonder if anyone else wants in on this test? Darius, would you like to volunteer to do an organic test for us? I could send you the base mix of the soil I mix up w/ no chems in it, then you could make it organic your way if I can't get what I need here. Chunx, do you want in to? Anyone else? Don't be trying to get free soil here...it's not worth your time (not talking to Darius or Chunx). I'd only send enough to fill a pot, you'd have to spend money to add your own amendments...plus take time to update us very often and send tons of pics, etc.

Also, should we link this to the Soil & Composting forum to get some info and interest there? I don't know about all you, but I'd really like to know as much as I can about all of this. What is best for our plants and environment, the easiest and quickest way to achieve that, the cheapest way, longterm usage...etc. If we go over there we may find some folks who have already done some of these tests...but you started all this Steve, and I'm not trying to take over anything. I talk way too much, I know, sorry about that! LOL! I would just be very excited to find a great soil that's even better than MG that we can make ourselves cheaply. I think if we try it we'll find it, maybe even organic soil...which I think we all like the idea of. If someone shows us how to do it easily and cheaply w/ great results more of us may switch over.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Sorry my posts are so long. I'm just one of those people. "I'm typing and my hands won't quit!"

;-P
Heather

Heather, go to the garden terms tab at the top here, click on it and then type in alfalfa and also alfalfa tea. All the instructions (I think) are in there.

Also, I'm at my sister's home right now but hope to have a new home before summer is over. So, I'll pass on testing.

(Zone 6a)

I was just reading your post Heather on whats in the MG soil, then I went outside and checked my peat moss.......which says on the side 'product of Canada'. Which is good, cause I live in Canada. As for soil experiments, I think it would be great to do it at the same time. For experiments I was going to use normal potting soil and water one with just water, one with MG( I have to see the difference) and maybe one with an organic like alfalfa tea and fish e. BTW Where can I get fish e? Garden Center, HD? I've read about it before but don't know where to go to get it.
As for what type of plants, I was thinking of using impatiens in a 6" pot, starting around the beginning of June. Does that sound good? Oh, and how often do you use an organic fert? Every other week?

Don't worry about stealing the thread Heather.....post as much as you want.

Thanks for your replies everyone! I think you've started something Darius with your organics! Seeing the results of our experiments will be quite interesting.

Steve

Steve, I buy Alaska deodorized frish emulsion at Lowe's. HD probably carries it buy Lowe's is closer. Garden centers also sell it for about twice the price. Or, order it online. It's a concentrate so a quart goes a long way.

I get alfalfa pellets at a local farm feed store, around $10 for 50 pounds.

(Zone 6a)

I looked up the tea in the Garden Terms and it answered my questions about it. I would sure like to try it. Does it leave your plants stinking though? Next time I go to HD I'll look for the fish e.

Thanks Darius!
Steve

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 11:53 AM

The alfalfa tea has little smell unless you let it ferment too long. The deodorized fish emulsion stinks a bit but the smell dissipates rather quickly.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll try and keep this short, let's see how that goes, LOL.

I read about the Alfalfa Tea too. Thanks for that. I'll call my feed store and see what they have or how soon they can get it. It sure sounds easy enough to make and great for the plants.

Darius, I wish you were settled, just for you, but also so you could be involved in this.

I've seen the fish e that Darius was talking about at Lowe's. I didn't realize it was a concentrate or I would have bought it. I guess that's why you should read labels.

Impatiens sound good to me. They are one of my favorites. I'm wondering tho if we should/could check out the requirements of the plant we are going to test. Is there a reason you chose Impatiens to test? (keep the fish e & alfalfa tea in shade = less stink?) I'll try whatever you decide you'd like to, but I may also test a few other things. I'm trying to think of some heavy feeders. Also I'd like to try a perennial to see how it comes back next year. I also want to see what happens w/ see production, if there's any difference. Any ideas from anyone on what plants to test are more than welcome!! Nothing too expensive tho, in case something does end up basically dying. :( How or where were you planning on getting your plants...from seed, a local nursery, online or Lowe's type place? I'll do the same if possible.

I think starting in the beginning of June will be great. We usually plant out on Memorial Day weekend. 6" pots sound great too. One plant per pot?

I'll start making a list of the different soils I'm going to want to test. Again, all suggestions welcome...especially if I miss something, please tell me!! Please share all ideas you have. I love input.

I do think we should post to the Soil & Composting forum too. See what input we get there.

Ok, was that shorter than normal? I tried, really, I did! LOL

This year I am trying Mighty Plant and Messenger on the few tomatoes in my sister's garden.
http://www.edenbio.com/garden/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=35
http://www.edenbio.com/garden/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=48

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 12:56 PM

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll check out Mighty Plant in a sec. Reminds me of Might Dog tho, gotta say! LOL

Just called the feed store. Alfalfa cubes are 50lbs for $10.29. Cubes will work right? She said they are the consistency of hay. I can't see why they wouldn't work.

I checked out Mighty Plant. I learned something new again today! See, it does happen every day! I didn't know that Messenger was natural. Now I understand it better. Glad I went to that site. I'm also going to get a free T-shirt from them. Thanks Darius.

Some folks have reported using the cubes with minimal success but I personally would avoid it. The pellets are finely ground bvefore pellatized. Rabbit food is basically alfalfa pellets.

ps, I got 100 pkts of Mighty Plant and 30 of Messenger in the recent co-op. Saved about 30%.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Eeeks, I'm glad I asked. I didn't think there'd be any difference in cubes or pellets. Shoot. I can't have them order 1 bag for me. I'll have to find it somewhere else. Rabbit food, huh? I wonder if all rabbit food is the same, and what else it has in it. Sounds too risky for now, at least for the test and trying to prove results. I'd have no problem using rabbit food for myself.

30%? Good deal!

Ok, have to call more feed stores.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, the 3rd store said they'd order them for me. Nice guy too. Everyone else was like "Pellets? Pellets? You sure you want pellets? I have cubes." Then they thought I was really crazy when I said I wanted them for fert. The last guy just asked how I made the fert. Then told me what the pellets look like. So, they'll be here in a week or two, I just missed this week's order by about 10 minutes. $12.00 for 50 lbs. I was staring to think these weren't sold at feed stores.

San Diego, CA

I've used alfalfa pellets and I got them at Petsmart. I keep forgetting to use them....they're just sitting in my garage along with the other stuff I keep buying to put on the yard. I too bought Messenger and Mighty Plant. I have used the Messenger twice now and have been happy with how it has rejuvinated some of my old plants. As for the Mighty Plant, well, I can't tell any difference between that and regular plant food except it costs a buck a pack and only makes a gallon. We'll see down the road if it really takes off when summer arrives. I was really disappointed that I missed out on the co-op for Messenger.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.