Damminix - Anyone try this product to prevent Lyme Ticks?

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Here is the web site:

http://www.damminix.com/

I saw this recommended on another gardening forum (GardenWeb). Wondered if anyone had any other opinions.

Damminix Tick TubesŪ are available in the states of MD, PA, NY, RI, CT, NH, NJ and MA.

Thanks,
Sue

Dallastown, PA

My Mom has used it for the past year (Maryland) and has had great results. She had a monstrous tick population and has had Lyme disease twice. It should be used in conjuction with tick habitat reduction and tick exposed prevention. For example, my Mom cut down weeds at the edge of the her woodland path to the garden, a frequent source of her tick contact. She also moved an in-ground compost pile into a container, to stop feeding the mouse population.
We use it too here in PA. I have placed 25 or so tick tubes, and also trimmed weeds and removed leaves. This winter, I gave away our unused firewood pile - one less place for mice and chipmunks to hide and breed ticks! We found a mouse nest with the treated nesting material inside... see the photo. I am going to be making some mouse nesting boxes for the mice to live in... so we can check up on them and make sure there are no tick present.

www.damminix.com

- Claire

Thumbnail by sterlingsilverb
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I suppose if your ticks come from rodents it might work but the ones out here come from deer, ground squirrels, Gofers, Coyote, wolf, rabbits, fox.......... So I wouldn't expect complete elimination. I use Frontline on my pets so they don't get the ticks and I use this only in the spring cause once the grasses diminish so do the ticks. We have rockymountain spotted fever and lymes and it takes 24+ hours on the host to get it started. Frontline works well on the dogs and I can feel the buggers right away to remove on me.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

It did say on the page about the product that the mice are what brings the ticks to the people. If it weren't for the mice, we wouldn't see it spread. Why do they bring only mice into it when it is also on the other animals mentioned. Is it the certain stage of the tick that spreads it?
I know I had a headache one day and it was localized. I went to touch my head and found a tick. After I removed the tick my head no longer ached. They must inject something to make you have a headache like that.
Creepy!
It seems like the ticks are bad this year. I have Frontline Plus on my dogs and I still found one sitting on the bedspread. First time I ever found one in the house, much less on the bed. So I think it must have been brought into the house from my gardening encounter.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Claire thanks for posting! Wow great picture. You should send it to the Damminix web site. They would probably like the feedback. I ordered some tubes and we'll see how they do. This weekend I found an adult deer tick on my clothing now I am really paranoid!

Maybe since mice tend to get in sheds, garages or houses more than chipmunks or squirrels accounts for how they are closer to people? We have a lot of chipmunks that do damage our retaining stone walls near our garage and to find out now that they may carry the Lyme ticks. They are cute little guys but destructive and now carry a health hazard.

Sue

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ticks secrete a neurotoxin that one tick can paralyse a dog. Ticks are everywhere in the spring and mostly in woodland areas. There are 2 types of ticks: Biting and sucking ticks. The biters are easy to feel when they get on but the others can start quite small.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.