Spring/Summer Tomato Garden 2006 - 3

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay...let's see your maters....

Here is the old thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/585095/

This message was edited Apr 18, 2006 12:03 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Please indulge me in this...I know a lot of you are using Earthboxes. I would like to show off the one EB I have and how my two plants are doing in it. This was taken April 1.
It is a Black from Tula and a Red Brandywine I got from Foolcontrol.

Thumbnail by Tomatoholic
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here are the same two plants today, April 18.

They are 3 times bigger than any of the plants I put in the ground.

Thumbnail by Tomatoholic
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Wow! Looks like their roots are getting all the room they need. They grow fast in that warm soil, don't they? Looking good.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I got scared when I saw the first picture. Then I saw the second picture. It looks like you are going to have a lot of maters this year.

It has been my experience with the Earthboxes thus far that the larger the plant gets, the faster it grows.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

It is nice to know that you are taking good care of my babies.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Zeps, warm soil alright! It was 101 here yesterday. We broke ALL records for April. We are going to be 100 again today but the forecast says rain and back in high 80's later this week. I sure pray that is so.

Hey Fool...haha. scared ya hu? The Stupice you gave me is doing well too...but nothing like these two monsters in the EB. I am pretty sure DH is seeing the difference and may be inclined to buy me some more. It would be nice to not have to till and whatnot.

I have some others that are doing well, but not anywhere near these EB ones. And they are so much easier to take care of. Put water in the spout and that's it. I've been fortunate to not have any bug problems so far and I'm extremely thankful for that.

Okay I have 3 of mine in big self watering containers. They may not turn out ... but guess I'll find out. Couldn't do the EB's this year but figured these might work sorta the same since I'm filling up the little spout at the bottom, also. They're equal to 5 gal pots. Y'all *please please* send up prayers for me, OK?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Fool don't read this next message since your organic...Chelle you using the Bug b' Gone on a regular basis? And the Garden Control?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Saint, no, I have not used anything on them yet. I have not seen any bugs yet. Should I do the Bug b Gone in advance of seeing buggies? If so, I can spray them early in the morning before the sun hits them.

Btw, I just realize that the first picture is actually from April 3rd, not April 1st. so those babies grew that big in 2 weeks. Wow!! I'm so excited.

Yes Fool, I'm taking good care of your babies. hehe. How 'bout my babies I sent to you? How are they doing? I cannot wait to eat their fruits.

I have some sad news...I think my Black Cherry is going to bite the dust. I told y'all that something ate a bite out of its little stem? Well, it is looking mighty sad out there right now. Maybe b/c it is close to 100 degrees right now? I'll check him in the morning and see if he is still alive. Boohiss!!

Michelleb

Michelleb
Check your Email. Sent something personal like. So so sorry to hear about the mater. :-(
*ducking and running* LOL
... elaine

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Just had to add a note--I came back from Hawaii today where it was 80 degrees. Temp in Salt Lake City was 37 with 2 inches (at least) of new snow. That means at my house it was near freezing. When, oh when will I be able to plant tomatoes? This is what we had last spring. Then it got hot very suddenly and caused the tomatoes to lose their blossoms(or so I was told my a local fruit stand owner). We had an awful tomato year in 2005. I was hoping for better in 2006. Still trying to be hopeful. At least my seedlings survived my 12 day absence with my son and his wife taking care of them.

I was in Montana the first week in May in 2004, and they got snow. Unbelievable!! This GA gal just ain't use to such. LOL

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well, my few plants are growing (in Kissimmee, FL) and have some fruit and some flowers.

HOWEVER, I seem to have what looks like Leaf Miners to me. Any suggested cures?

Thumbnail by darius

Here's the whole bed... We don't expect to get too many tomatoes before my sister sells her house, hopefully June.

Thumbnail by darius

Sorry, Dave's Double Post is obviously still working!

This message was edited Apr 18, 2006 6:01 PM

Thumbnail by darius
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Darius, yep, they sure look like leaf miners. I always just pinch off the leaves that have them. Not sure what anyone else does to get rid of them. Other than that, your plants look great.

Elaine, well drat...I cannot open the wav file b/c I'm on a Linux system and I do not have anything downloaded to listen to it. I'll get DH to play it for me on his laptop.

Looney...snow hu? wow. I just cannot imagine it. I think we hit 100 again today. Can you please send us a lovely cold front with some rain? Yep, out of all the maters, I was VERY excited to eat some Black Cherries. Oy vey!

Michelleb

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

you can see mine at:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/592621/

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Darius ---- Pick off the infected leaves and spray with Ortho Bug Be Gone. When leaf miners arrive other types of bugs seem to follow. Hope you are feeling lots better?

Thanks, TPlant. I'll look for some tomorrow while I'm out.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I finally have little tomatoes. Early Girl and Brandywine.
Probly have other kinds too , just havent inspected to find out. Tooo many to inspect--will inspect when i twin them up today. They are falling over.

I added Atkinsons to my differant varieties. Everyone keeps asking for Atkinsons at the greenhouse and I don't have any. Figure I will try it and see why the fuss over it.

So far --growing 486 tomato plants. I have to pot up some more this week.

Do Celebrity Crack bad on the shoulders?
I have some Indeterminate Celebrity I would like to grow. Hope its not a waste of time and money.

And still would like to know if any of the Brandywine growers ever trim off some of the blossoms. These Brandywine are loaded with blooms. I really hate triming blooms. Growing a total of 10 Brandywine. I have at least 6 more brandywine plants in 6 " pots but too chicken to grow anymore. Might not be able to sell the tomatoes off them. ARe they medium acid or high acid tomatoes? These are the Pink Brandywine. Growing the Red next year. I have been assuming that the Pink would have lower acid than the Red. Is this so?

I will stop buggin you now.

Happy Gardening.

Cricket

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Do Celebrity Crack bad on the shoulders?
I have some Indeterminate Celebrity I would like to grow. Hope its not a waste of time and money.

Do you mean Radial or Concentric cracking?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ok Chelle here are the pictures

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

sorry for blurry pictures

Thumbnail by araness

araness, looks like just a smudge on the camera lens and should clean easily.

Nice 'maters!

I've got my *first* baby tomato! It's one of my sweet 100's and is about the size of my fingernail. LOL I don't think my Aunt Madge is going to make it though. It's looking *very* sick. :-(

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

yeppers think it's my thumb *G*

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Saint...Gorgeous plants!!!!

Elaine, I'm so happy for you. YOur first mater!! how exciting!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Elaine - congrats on the new baby!!!

BTW, you're not missing anything if Aunt Madge doesn't make it. While it was incredibly porlific for me, the taste was very mediocre.

Happy gardening!

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Saint. It looks like you have the same problem I do. I will try to post pics in the next few days. My maters are growing crazy.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

E- Your seeds are on the way promise I've lost my mind and just now found it. Had to get the DH to make labels.

Saint

Thanks so much. I'm not too upset about that one but sure wish my Sungold had done better. I ended up with only *one* plant, and he's soooo tiny. He's just not growing like the others? Sure hope that little guy makes maters as I had my mouth set for em!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I always have a little discussion with my "new" seedlings, especially if they are not too healthy looking. I ask them to please, just give me a few tasters. "Honest, I will be happy if you will just be a sampler plant!" Sometimes they even listen!!! LOL! I will start getting nervous if thay answer me back...

You mean they don't? Oooh, I'm in *big* trouble! LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Well I have a serious problem..*sigh* just ordered my seeds for fall from TGS and several that "I JUST HAVE" to grow are beefsteak, which means 1 per EB...*gasp* I'm not going to make it if I can only have 5 plants I'll I'll die or something...I need the space for 15 plants...This ain't lookin good folks... :(

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I put two per box. Some are beefsteaks. I hope that does not cause a problem. They all hang away from each other.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Radial cracks on celebrity?

Ok i inspected the maters today and took pics.

This is the Early Girl with little tomatoes.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The Brandywine has funky shaped tomatoes.
1/4 inch wide and 1 inch long. weirdos.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Those are great looking plants Araness. Tasty.

These are some of my Big Beef in the 5 gallon grow bags.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.