My winter sowing babies

(Zone 6a)

Dave - ROTFL, you're killing me!!! LOL And I like your idea of a prescription, I think I need one already...but maybe for more then WSing!!!

Steve :D

(Zone 6a)

I got Iceland Poppy seeds this afternoon. I'm gettin ready for winter already!!! Heres a picture I found on google....

Steve

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Anita, I was the Dam tour guide! (You better be careful not to make another inopportune typo!)
I really enjoyed WSing (although I didn't get near the germination rate Anita had) BUT I'm loving Spring. It seems I find something new in bloom every day. Today added brunneria(?), more big tulips & dicentra

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL - tell me about it.! Here are the pics I was promising

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

and the other side of the patio

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Anita,
Your babies look very healthy! Lots and lots of green!

Michelle

(Zone 6a)

Your seedling look really good Anita.
Like Michelle said, very strong and healthy!

Steve

(Zone 6a)

We just had Swiss Chalet for supper and the take-out containers they come in will be great for WSing!!! So of course I saved them :)
I find now when I see different containers around the house I keep thinking if they'd be good for WSing or not..........

Steve

Arlington, TX(Zone 7b)

Okay, now that the babies are here, what's the next steps?? How long do we wait till moving them to their permanent homes?? Do we ferterlize? Help!!!!
ed

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

You should have them outside Ed - the weather is perfect for them now. Just be mindful of full sun if you've had them in the house this long.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

In the house???? The beauty of wintersowing is to germinate your seeds and grow your plants outdoors. No need to take up precious space in your home. Plus, they do much better outdoors with Mother Nature providing everything they need.

Just water them and keep their soil moist (not wet). You can move them to their permanent homes when they have their 1st set of "true leaves". I give them a little time-released fertilizer once I have planted them in the garden.

If you haven't already gone to this website, http://www.wintersown.org please do! It is full of information, pictures and very helpful tips.

Arlington, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks a lot for the info. Boy i sure hate the term 'damping off' now. Looks like that's my problem.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

"Damping off" is a fungal disease. You will not have this problem is you wintersow your seeds outdoors.

Arlington, TX(Zone 7b)

i hate the cold weather but boy, i can't wait for winter to come this year kek kek kek!! I can't wait to start this 'winter sowing' thingy. Sounds so addicting so far to me hehehe.

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Elaine,
Addictive is definitely the right word! It is a great way to fill your gardens with lots of plants and if you love it as much as some of us you will also be filling other people's gardens as well.

Michelle

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Elaine,

Jump in and join us. You'll love it!

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.