No iris blooms yet But I'm ready!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My gardens are awake and clean and ready. I've been making new yellow garden labels for my iris. Only daffodils so far, but I'm ready!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

I'm going to FORCE myself to take "long shots" of my mixed iris/daylily/lily/perennial beds this year so I can see how they progress each month.

In a month or so, (cross your fingers with no frost) this bed should be GORGEOUS!

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

I just love how tidy your beds are, and you still have room for a beautiful lawn too!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

you are really ready Wanda looks so nice.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

HI Wanda,
Wow - - look - - those beds really do look neat and tidy. I bet you can't wait!! Anticipation is half the fun, isn't it?

~Margie

I am out peeking every day and envying you with all your iris abloom.

So many of my newer iris were knocked out by a late freeze just as they were budding last year. It's warm now & growing fast. I'm praying that they don't freeze again...

Lots of mulched beds & green...

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I know what you mean about being ready. I have one renegade TB that is sending up a bloom stalk and multitudes of pregnant medians. No first bloom, however.

Here's my garden today. Green:

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Green:

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

More Green:

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

and even more green! Bring it on already! LOL!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2006 4:44 PM

Green is GOOD! I'm tired of the white of winter snow and brown sleeping flowerbeds.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I agree. I'd much rather see green than brown any day!

Laura

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

Your beds are awesome too Laura! What is the bushy plant inbetween the two trees in the second picture? Looks interesting.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the compliment. The bushy plant in the second picture is a Euphorbia. I can't remember which one.

flowerfrenzy--all kinds of color in your beds! Primroses?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm assuming you're talking about the 4th picture? That would be primroses, violas and cineraria.

Yes. Primroses hate me, but I keep trying.

(Zone 7b)

Me too, Wanda, of all the ones I've purchased over the years, I think only 3 have ever survived a winter, and we are in a mild climate....

what am I doing wrong??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Wanda and flowerfrenzy-- love your all-over border photos! I will look forward to your monthly updates!

I love all of your plantings and want to see them develop through the seasons....thanks. t.

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

Flowerfrenzy your gardens are so neat and pretty,
I really have a probelm with marking either i have white -blinds all over yard and come winter they are everywhere and trying to tag plants up.
I took and draw diagrams.and took pictures.And can not find away threw this problem.Im not talking about iris caused I lost all mine.
But daylily's i had tagged.What tags do you use?are they reasonable?
And wanted to tell you how pretty your gardens look i want some day for mine to look that pretty.Thanks for sharing Robin

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

i love your beds to wanda-i always enjoyed looking at your pictures god bless robin

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi Robin~

Thanks for the compliments. I buy my markers/tags from a seller on Ebay. His id is nrb44. I find his tags and labels very reasonable.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You all have such beautiful and neat beds. They are just wonderful and since I've seen them in bloom, they are even more delicious to await.

Here's where you all will be in about a month!

Thumbnail by doss
Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

We had a group of college kids here for the weekend and had a "big kids" Easter egg hunt. They had a ball...........but I digress.

This picture is of part of the main flower bed and it's not a great picture, but look at all those iris!!! These are all iris that were on the property when we moved in and I relocated them. In this picture the only one I purchased is the yellow and white Golden Glaze.

Wanda--I was proud to receive one of your newbie gift boxes last year. Those iris are loaded with buds, and I can't wait for them to bloom.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

What a beautiful garden you have, 1gardengram!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a lovely place to enjoy Easter! Glorious.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

gram~

Beautiful garden!

doss~

Talk about "curb appeal"!

Thanks, all of you. I appreciate the good comments. I love irises and then found out that my son-in-law and my granddaughter love them, so I have added more over the last year. When they die back, daylilies, zinnias and Oriental lilies cover the area.

The picture I posted was part of the back yard taken last summer. It's really a BIG yard. This year I added irises to the plain ole' azalea beds in the front yard. We are so excited about them that just about every day someone is out there counting buds. Some of those are from Wanda and I can't wait to see them fully open.

I never grew flowers until my daughter and her family and myself bought this house together in 1999. I had always grown veggies to feed my family and just had marigolds around the edges. So building these flower beds has truly turned into a labor of love. The soil was just sad old sand and now is rich and dark with lots of worms. We have resident lizards and toads and there are lots of squirrels and wild bunnies--and SO many birds.

I joined DG last year and have learned so much about all sorts of things and it has helped me do the right things for my climate. I appreciate all of you more than you can know. My goal is to have this yard look like Wanda's, pirl's, and doss'. I drool over pictures of your yards in bloom.

This is the other half of the back yard. In the back of the back corner is a new fern and hosta bed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to take over the thread. We are just so blessed to have this wonderful yard to work with and it's exciting to talk about.

Diane

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 5:06 PM

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's so lovely to have those tall trees around the 'meadow' in your garden. Quite lovely, natural and welcoming. You've done a beautiful job.

Thanks, doss, but I want my flower beds to look like yours and Wanda's. I keep looking at your pictures and then trying to imitate what you do.

Diane

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's been all trial and error for me I'm afraid. I think that Wanda has more experience and a really terriffic eye. She can mix plantings in such a wonderful way, can't she?

Yes, she does have a gift for timing the blooming periods and also for mixing the colors. I'd love to have my flower beds all organized like hers are.

How are you, Dorothy? I hope you are feeling better and able to be out and around.

Diane

(Zone 7b)

Meanwhile, all this modesty, and the rest of us just d&d (drool and dream)

2 zeus--You're probably still having winter up there, aren't you? When can you start thinking it's spring?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for asking Diane. I'm getting by. I'm getting out to the garden to work for short periods now for the first time in a long time. No hard work but it's just great to be out there clipping things into line or moving a few succulents. And it's such a glorious time in the garden right now.

I'm going to take a chance on a photo. Not iris related, but one of my favorite mini spring places in the garden.

Thumbnail by doss
(Zone 7b)

Vancouver Island is the Florida of Canada, mostly, winter is interminable rain!

We're behind this year by a few weeks, according to my garden diary: we're just getting tulips starting to open their buds, and the daffs are just ending.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

gardengram, you have a wonderful yard-I like the natural look it seems very peaceful.

Sandy

Thank you, Sandy. It is peaceful and we have a million birds, toads, lizards, squirrels and wild bunnies (well, maybe not a million). I love being out there, even when I can't do any work.

doss--You have such a gift for planning little spots with just the right colors. That's so perfectly laid out.

2zeus--You are not behind us as much as I thought you would be. I think our last daffodils were two or three weeks ago. Now the azaleas are finishing and the iris and going strong.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

Got my first one blooming yesterday - Baby Blessed. Yeah!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

congratulations, Linda. Enjoy!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.