Mine never gets put away - we mow year-round
(63 votes, 12%)
Red dot

I don't have a lawnmower
(93 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Tuned up, oil changed, washed, waxed and in use twice already...but alas now more rain...Lauri

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I have to say "other".... have already used it this year- lol!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Well, I can't do my own mowing so it drives me crazy the way they take care of the lawn mower. It is more than likely somewhere under a bunch of God knows what. I am going to have to find someone to get it ready for use.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ours gets year around use...

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Should have been a place for us that, "leave it set where last used". Will see if it runs when grass is big enough.
Bernie

PS Did I mention tires are flat!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Since conformity is such an issue with our HOA, I have a lawn service for the front. He brings his own equipment - all I need do is water. I have string trimmers to tame exuberant grass/weeds around the raised beds in the back. Haven't owned/used a mower in years.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Our mower is easily accessible in our shed, but hasn't yet been tuned up. It was still snowing here last week, so I don't think there's much urgency yet :-)

happily, i reached my goal of eradicating ALL lawn :)

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

Lol CountryGardens, you are so right about that. The lawn mowing and riding mower maintenance is DH's job. If I had my way we'd have no lawn either. DH knows this so he mows the lawn because he can't stand how I mow. I found out that droping the blade and scalping the lawn with the excuse that "I don't know how to operate that darn thing, and can't we just dig that part of the lawn up now." doesn't work.

edited for spelling.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2006 11:02 AM

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't vote, nothing seems to fit, there really needs to be an 'other' category. Mine is sitting in the garage where it was left after the last mowing. Spring tune-up? What's that?? Never did one of those, ever. We'll see if it works when the grass is long enough.
Deb

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine get used year round but they did get a spring workover like they do every spring just before the summer. New blades as our sand eats em and the rider got new belts this year and new front wheel bearings . It and the push mower and trimmer also got new plugs and fresh oil. I've gotten 8 years so far out of a set of murray mowers and hope to get a few more.

Ally_UT thats how I solved doing laundry. She did not like blue bras that used to be white ;)

This message was edited Apr 10, 2006 1:12 PM

Vernon, FL(Zone 8a)

Just bought it and have used it once. Or I should say my husband has (I supervise hee hee hee). He thinks I mow to fast, but it only takes me a few hours where it takes him all day or two. I'm just so happy to have some warm weather.

Sour Lake, TX(Zone 9a)

Ours is used year round here and especially since we didn't have much of
a winter this year. My hubby is meticulous about his John Deer. I do get
to use it though, but not before he has done a through pre-use check up.
(I just tell him to yell at me when it is ready to use if I haven't lost interest
by the time he is done!!!) LOL

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

I have an electric mower; all I do is plug it in and go. Bought a new blade for it last year.

My dear dog, Darby, has left me nothing but rank, bumpy grass in my back yard, and I've already mowed it twice this spring. The front yard is pure mud, and the tree strip in front of the house contains nice, normal grass that stays dormant until the real spring gets here! :)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We don't mow all year...we get 3 months off...but ours gets serviced and ready in Feb...been mowing for a month now....didn't vote...wasn't a category that fit me either.

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

mine is in my shed somewere,i have to take the kids stuff out first ,then the gardening stuff or is it the other way around oh will
its in there i think,lol

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

First thing I did when I moved into my new townhouse was RIP OUT THE LAWN. It's a tiny space anyway, and much more interesting filled with bloom, foliage and a few specimen trees. No lawn mower required!

At the family cottage, however, I have a brother with a sentimental attachment to the John Deere. Where I would like to see wildflower meadows and swaying grasses, he rides the mower right to the edge of the lake and up to the tree line. Oh well.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2006 3:14 PM

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Mine is about a week away from needing a mowing. I have fired it up once to mulch a leaf pile.

Out in the country I have roadsides and fencerows that need mowing besides a yard.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I haven't mowed in 3 or 4 years. I sold my lawnmower way back then when I replaced ALL the lawn with ornamental plants. I'm proud to say, I'm a bonafide member of the "No Mow Grass Society". The only grasses I grow are ornamentals--pampas, japanese variegated, black mondo, Japanese blood, etc. Lawn, to me, seems so useless. I love having gardens all around me. FUN FUN FUN! Mowing=Work, work, work!

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I clicked on the second response, but actually I used the rider today, after my DH charged the battery. The push is waiting for a new sparkplug, then I hope it will start! I used the weedeater this morning. It is rechargeable, and plugged in all winter.

Fort Worth, TX

My lawnmower is one of my best friends. I use it year round. It is self-propelled, and it runs well. I keep it in tune with a sharp blade, and a full tank. It manages the lawn, mulches fall leaves and vacuums yard debris for composting; it frightens away bumble bees as well.

I basically chase it around the yard as it does the work for me.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Where's the "Heaven only knows" category??? Oddly, inspite of the fact that the last snow has been gone such a short time that the weeds haven't even stood up yet, the guy across the road had his out and running today. It's going to be a looooong summer.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Like a few of the others, I think there should be another category. We gave both of ours a tune-up, sharpened blades, and have used them a couple of times already this Spring.

Don

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I would have clicked on the category "in the garage and I don't know if it needs a tune up because I pay a neighbor boy to mow because we have a push mower and really need a riding mower and DH is too cheap to buy one and besides DH never mows and I'll be jiggered if I'm going to do it and the few times he does mow he does a crappy job".

(aside from this little failing, DH is really a nice guy lol)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I know exactly where mine is. I will do some maintenance on it, but the more I do the more I screw up. About 10 days to 2 weeks away to mow.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I don't have a lawn mower, but my lawn service does! You can't beat $15 a week in our hot summer heat. LOL

Leslie

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Mine is in the basement. Probably won't need it for two or three weeks.

Rhonda

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

My DH keeps his John Deere washed, waxed, blade sharpened, oil changed, etc.etc.

He has however, agreed that I can extend another daylily bed 2' wider. He likes to mow, but we don't have that much grass left. LOL

Oakton, VA(Zone 7a)

Ours has been used once -- the last weekend in March. Of course, it was tuned up and ready to go before that! That's hubby's job and he's a bit anal about maintaining anything with a motor. ;) We moved two years ago and have twice as much property, but about a 1/10th the lawn size -- only over the septic field. The rest is woods and planting beds.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2006 8:44 PM

This message was edited Apr 10, 2006 8:45 PM

Rienzi, MS(Zone 7a)

Ours has been used twice already this year. We used out mower today, then washed it and it is ready for the next round of mowing. Mowing season has begun in Northeast Mississippi.

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

Earliest ever mowing I can remember after 18 years in NJ. The ground never froze this winter which has made a lot of funky things happen. The kid was really bummed out when he found out he had to mow the lawn on the first day of spring break! HM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm new to Dave's Garden and am purplexed about one of your "shortcuts" in posting. Does "DH" (REFERENCE ..."My DH keeps his John Deere washed..." or " DH never mows and I'll be jiggered if...") mean "Dear Hubby" or ? *smile*...and I REALLY don't know!

Connie

This message was edited Apr 10, 2006 9:22 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Whatever fits, Darling husband, Daring husband, & so on.
Works for female spouse, DW, in-laws, MIL, kids, DS, DD;
Bernie

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

We voted "Mow year round", Now that we're down here in sunny Florida, I love to rub it in to friends and family back in the cold country, that I had to mow the lawn on New Years Day. It is due a complete check-up before the real season starts. we were mowing every five days last summer in the peak.
Tim55

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

As a kid in the 50/60's you had two main methods of making money.
Mow Lawns and Shovel Snow......don't remember anyone paying to have leaves raked.
Our first 4 houses were an acre and we had a push mower.

So.........our first project when moving here was to get rid of the lawn.
Haven't owned a mower in 17 years.
No sidewalks and a gravel drive so no snow shovel either.

We do have grass though.
A square yard of beautiful KY Bluegrass.
No weeds..
Golf Green PERFECT.
I 'Mow' w/ grass clippers. lol

Ric

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

The shed. DH just fertilized, lymed and spread some grass seed and is getting ready to add a safety layer of Grubex. I planted peas outside last week and found 2 disgusting grubs and crushed em. He's in charge of the lawn, so I have no clue when he'll be taking out the mower, but knowing him, it won't be long since his "lawn" is an art form to him.

Megan

This message was edited Apr 11, 2006 7:15 AM

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Lawnmower is in need of repair and I don't know when that will happen., We like it but we would have to rent a trailer to take it somewhere to be worked on since it is HUMUNGOUS. It is also about 20 years old so not sure how fixable it is

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Henryr10's description of mowing and shoveling other people's properties (on top of our own) to make a few dollars closely resembles my teenage experience. Boy, the stamina we had in those days! Those were the days, my friends...

I am now 50 (51 next Sunday). We have had a grass/snow contractor for 15 years now. When I hired him, I gave away the shovel, the lawn mower, the weed wacker, the leaf rake and the hedge trimmer. I never looked back and baby, does ever it feel good. I should have done that even longer ago.

Sylvain, aka Professor Bear

Alexandria, VA

No lawn mower - never needed one until we moved into our little 1/2 acre. I think we are afraid to start - because it will never end. However, if we dig up the onion grass and dandelions, there won't be any grass to cut! a severely neglected lawn for 10+ years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.