Does anyone know the name of this plant???

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

My mom got me this plant cause it has pretty shades of pinks/red in it. She did not come with a tag and therefore we dont know the name of her. I dont know if this is even the right forum to put this.
She has fuzzy leaves with tinted red/pinkish leaves. I dont even know where to begin to look for a name, is someone could point me in the right direction it would be apprieciated.

Thanks,

Char

Thumbnail by red_princess_71
Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Char,
I believe your plant is Siderasis fuscata (brown spiderwort). It is a member of the Tradescantia group. Its 6" - 8" leaves will form a rosette, bears purple flowers 1" across, and thrives in a terrarium.

cicada is right. I have three. They're wonderful!

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Cicada and RG,

Thanks so much for id'ing my little beauty. I will put my lil brain to work and think of a way to make a big enough terrarium for her.

Char

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

What a nice Mommy! It is a really neat plant. I did a trade for one last year. I don't have mine in a terraium and it's doing great. Here is a picture of it with a bloom using my old camera. It's fuzzy but you can see the little blue flower.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl

Donna,
How exactly do you care for yours to get it to bloom? What kind of soil do you have it in? Mine aren't nearly as happy as yours! They've never offered to bloom! I'd love it if they did.
Thanks!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I don't remember what kind of soil for sure, but it probably is just plain old potting soil. It's in a spot that doesn't get alot of sun. I to was surprised when it bloomed. It has bloomed a few times, but the blooms are so small that sometimes I miss them.

Well, you're doing a great job. It's lovely! Thanks for telling me. Maybe if I neglect mine a bit more it will do better. Seems to be the way it works for me. :o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.