Spring Bulbs - pictures & discussion: Part VI

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Ohhhhh, Kenton, there are those violas or were they pansies? again!!!!!!!! I just love those! And love your rock garden PERIOD.

That 'random' area was redone last fall, thus the working up of the soil and disturbing the bulbs buried way down there. For several years, I grew a very colorful mix of cosmos and zinnias there. It was great, because there is a window right there and when you were in the family room looking out, it was just a lovely sight. (See pic of one of the zinnias below.)

Then several years ago, I wanted a change, and I planted white daisies. Again, lovely view of one of very favorite flowers.

Last fall, I moved some of the daisies, leaving them toward the front of the bed, planted bulbs of some sort (can't remember what....they aren't blooming yet, so it will be a surprise), and at the back I planted kniphofia. Now you know why I was trying to move the chionodoxa. LOL.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I'd like to know where I could find some of those red ones. I don't think I've seen them in any of the seed catalogs.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

flowerfrenzy, love that iris, muscari, viola combo!

Kenton, such cool fritts; just anxiously waiting for my buds to open.

Daffodil 'Chromocolor' has bloomed!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

And 'Thalia', one of my favorites. They're almost as fragrant as hyacinths!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

And this mystery double I recieved as a free gift:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Another that I've had so long I don't remember the name:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The little Dutchman's breetches are so cute!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the ferny leaves of the Dutchman's breetches. There is also this little fern that grows wild here and I use it as a ground cover since it only gets 6" tall. It looks so cute emerging with the last of the crocus.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Neal, I see you also have the waterleaf! (I see it in your picture of 'Thalia.') I dug a little of it last spring, planted it, it disappeared by summer, but it's back up again this spring! I love the variegated leaves!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

flowerefrenzy your cineraria are very pretty, they are only treated as a house plant here, I don't think they would survive outside at this time of year.

kb that chionodoxa must be very deep, what a survivor! Could it be coming from under a rock? nature has it's surprises! love your pic of the zinnia, beautifully composed. Your Barrett Browning could be, this pic shows the yellow tinge around the cup on the petals, but petals look more rounded.

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=619

Kenton it's both, you have to have or develop the eye to take good pics as well a having a decent camera, and of course the flowers! The frit imperialis is a great shot, was it a big slug or short plant? I've been reading a thread on peoples trouble with this plant flowering. Limbo is a strong looking flower, the petals look so solid, lovely combination.

Not so sure about the 'Salome', I have some coming but not flowering yet so will get a pic when and if they do, we are back to winter so things have come to a standstill! The trumpet looks a little too flared and bright, it ages to a 'pinkish' colour and is darker I think at the lip.

Neal your Thalia are ahead of mine! I had 1.5 open yesterday, wanted to get a pic but it's arctic, wet, freezing cold and windy. BoooHoooooooooooooo.

I also have a couple of survivor Replete starting to open, we shall see!

Oakton, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks to Liquid Fence, my tulips have survived the deer. They're the 'Apricot Beauty' tulips I ordered last fall all the while telling myself it was a waste of time planting them as our neighbor feeds the deer. I planted them in among my 'Peach Blossom' astilbes.

Thumbnail by sdagutis
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Great pic of Thalia, Neal. I just ordered from B&B for fall delivery. that and Sir Winston Churchill and Kaydee.
I continue to sigh w/ a tinge of envy over everybody's tulips.

Tabasco (or was it Kenton) did you ever find the name of the humongous (sp?) daff?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Nery! That was another of those unplanned pretty combos.

sdagudis, the color of your tulips is very nice with the bronze new growth of the astilbe.

Kenton, my Salomes have a softer colored cup that is narrower and less flared. Is the color in the pic accurate? Looks like my Decoy that is just starting to bloom.

This is just a sweet pair I took on 2nd April

Thumbnail by wallaby1

My Anenome nemorosa Robinsoniana has some opening, this one on 5th April but there was actually sunshine glaring on it

Thumbnail by wallaby1
somewhere, PA

Wallaby - I love the anemone nemorosa. And what is the cute 5-lobed seed pod(?) in the forefront of those daff's?
Tam

Tam the anemone are one of my favourite flowers, this one makes mounds smothered with flowers, then disappears so there's no maintenance!

The seed pods are one of thousands on the Leptospermum. They stay on the bush and don't mature until the following year, even then they don't open, poss need heat or a fire. It was supposed to be 18" tall double but is now 7-8 feet and single! It gets smothered in pink flowers. I had a L scoparium Red Damask with dark red double flowers, I put it in the ground in late 04 and thought it would be OK but this winter has killed it, but I do have some seed. That one is tough.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I have a couple more daffs blooming today. This is 'Cheerfulness'

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's 'Yellow Cheerfulness'

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Denver, CO

I am certainly unsure about the Narc. "Not Salomé." I have to dig into old tags, as I replanted all of my tulips and Narc last summer. The picture's color is accurate, but it fades a bit lighter with age.

The Gigantonarc that we all should have is "WP's Favorite."

I wondered about that Anemone. Does it go dormant come summer?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a couple of Salome open today, and the cup starts out yellow and fades to soft peach. Anemone nemorosa does goe dormant after flowering, and are on my want list. Wallaby, do you have any shots of a whole clump or planting? I'd love to see a group of them. I'm thinking they would be a great plant around the ankles of pink-ish daffs.

flowefrenzy, have you noticed the lovely scent of the 2 cheerfulness daffs? I just love 'em!

Yes the A nem Robinsoniana go dormant by summer, they die back with no real 'litter'. I took some pics yesterday, they are the other side of the path opposite the crocus and N jetfire below the hosta bed. They make a thick mound, I started with 10 rhizomes, which are like a bit of twig. They take about 3 years to get going but then go mad, mine are hitting the path and they have filled the gaps, I put them there I think in 1999 or 2000.

The Lily of the Valley has grown through them but don't seem to bother them. They have only got a few flowers at the moment but get smothered Of course it is one of those blues the camera just can't quite read, a lovely soft blue.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The anemone bland are on the slope just before that area, they are filling up well and thick with seedlings grown this year, but the moles will put paid to many. The colour is really a deep blue, can't get it! There's one white one near the other end, and a self set from it forward from it. The little one right at the bottom of the pic is a seedling and is a really pale powder blue, it must be a cross with the white, or could it be from the nemorosa crossed?. Perhaps I have something here?

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I got a less glary pic of Robinsoniana yesterday, this one's a bit dull, either too much or too little sun! We had sun yesterday! It was 44F and cold winds and rain, then we had blue skies and huge, quick moving fluffy clouds, and I got some gardening done!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Thalia opening

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A secon tulip bud, they make several on one plant. Unicum.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

How's this for surface tension? You can see all the fuzzy hairs on the leaves. I would imagine this is a survival technique to provide water where they perhaps grow in dry climates, night dew could collect in the leaf well.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Blue skies with pretty fluffy cotton flowers

Thumbnail by wallaby1

flowerfrenzy I'm glad you have cheerfulness, I'm struggling to find it again today! 5C (41F), windy and rain. Supposed to be 11C (52) for this time of year!

So I can while away my dreary day and post another pic!

A tulip by my south wall, the thick stem is passiflora caurulea. This is one of 2 my daughter gave me about 7 years ago form a mixed purple pack. It comes and goes but keeps returning.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A sunnier shot of Corydais solida on the 5th. I love the little fish mouths.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Janet, T. unicum and narc. thalia are blowing my mind. I have already placed an order of thalia for fall delivery hmmmmmm.

kenton, gigantonarc. I love it!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

wallaby~I love the corydalis and the anemone! I noticed you referenced having problem with the moles. I'm guessing I better not try the anemone with all of the squirrels we have running around here.

gemini~yes, I have noticed the scent. Both 'Cheerfulness' and 'Yellow Cheerfulness' smell great. The trick is getting your nose close enough to them as they are so small.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

You guys always beat me to the post. I guess I'm too far north to show something 'new'.
That isn't going to stop me though, LOL.
This one just opened today.
The only one left of my first Daffs I ever planted, maybe 15 years ago. (Actually I think it's a Narcissus, right?)
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is another Daff, sorry no name.
I know that I should keep track of the names, but some of these bulbs were planted a long time ago when I considered them 'just Spring bulbs'.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Denver, CO

T. Banja Luka.
Can't get enough of this thing...

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

T. 'Black Hero' is just as nice when it is closed.

Denver, CO

Can't get enough...

Denver, CO

Athyrium and Trillium undulatum, others.

Denver, CO

T. 'Ballerina'

Denver, CO

The colors of the Denver Broncos, I guess. Certainly not intended, but a nice combination nonetheless.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.