April Beardeds are on their way!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

April is the beginning of iris really getting under way here. This is Skookumchuck. No. Don't ask me where the name came from.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Lady Friend

Thumbnail by doss
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, Doss, they are sooo beautiful! I'm drooling here. I was just out weeding mine.....I'm so anxious to see them bloom!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, I know where the name came from. It is a creek in Washington state. I have many fond memories of flyfishing the Skookumchuck! A fine name for an iris.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Learn something every day! I have some more blooming but they are looking ratty as it's been raining and raining.................I'll post when I get some nice looking flowers!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Very lovely, doss - looking forward to your Iris show this year! As usual, you're first out of the gate!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Steve, didn't I see your yellow one somewhere? My Harvest of Memories is blooming right now too.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

doss~

Does your 'Harvest of Memories' EVER stop blooming??? LOL!

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Nope!

Here's Aaron's Rod again. Dripping wet from the rain. It's a real performer.

Thumbnail by doss
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love those photos Dorothie!! Magnificent display of spring. :-)

~ Margie

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

You West Coast people are killing me:) I'm getting very impatient! I just go out and stare are the leave looking for any sign of a stalk/buds. The stupid peony's shoots are only about 8 inches tall and I've already seen a bud.

Off topic--does anyone know where I might be able to find a source for iris that are older? All the cultivars I've seen are from within the last 20 years or so. I want to find the ones my mom used to grow when we lived in Connecticut in the 70's. The colors I remember are a mid purple with bronze and they were well established and very tall.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Have you tried here? http://www.argyleacres.com/

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Nope, but I will right now:) Thank you for the fast help, its very appreciated.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

doss - that word Skookumchuck is an old family joke - there is a town by that name but I cannot remember where. My parents went on a trip out west and down into the states back in 1959 and they stayed in cabins at Skookumchuck, and I have absolutely no clue just where that was. Somewhere in western Canada or US. Whenever someone can't think of the name of a town, someone else pipes up, is that in Skookumchuk? Sure made me smile to see that name! Guess this calls for a 'google' search...... :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you want skookumchuk you don't have to google it.
Denise at Snowpeak carries it for only $3.00 and it's so different. I love it. Probably as different as skookumchuk itself.
http://www.snowpeakiris.com/

Another place you might try for historics is Superstition. There is no price list. You have to get a catalog. Their email address is in the watchdog. Great plants and reasonable prices.
http://community.webshots.com/album/481919411iYixTC

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Woodland Iris Gardens has now updated their site for 2006, and have lots of historic rebloomers listed for good prices.

http://www.iris-garden.com/historicpage1.html

I'm in trouble now that I found out their site has been updated. ;)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Ditto...so many sites, so many gorgeous photos, so many members who are enablers ;)
Thank you for all the suggestions--I'm halfway wondering if I should head up to Conn. and see if they're still there:lol:

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes ....................bearded iris are waking up for spring.

Here is Wintry Sky today.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

And here is Select Circle today.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Love them both, Margie....and great pics!

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful. My order didn't have Wintry Sky in it last year because the grower was out. I was planning on not ordering even one this year but perhaps I am wrong?

Maybe a few Arilbred and Wintry Sky?

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful photos doss and Margie! Here's one that's blooming today. It came from an elderly lady's yard, so I don't know the name, but I've seen a lot that look like this.

Sandy

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

I guess I should have posted this when it bloomed on 2-9-06, but here is Misty Lady.

Sandy

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

This one also bloomed 2-9-06. It was marked Beary Beary, but I think it is Tiger Honey. When my Tiger Honey blooms, maybe it will be Beary Beary :).

Sandy

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How lovely! And February photos certainly go here. We'll take all we can at this early time of the year.

Now if it would just stop raining so the flowers stopped being all limp, I could take some more photos.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

This was the first bloom of the iris planted in 2005. It bloomed 11-20-05.
'My Friend Jonathan'

Sandy

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

The weather in Northern California has been so wierd. We had periods of warm weather in Nov-Dec, but March and April seem more like winter than spring. My poor Bathsheba Comes was trying to bloom in March, but the cold and rain kept beating her up. I hope it will bloom again.

A very sad 'Bathsheba Comes'.

Sandy

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Poor Bathsheba. She looks like Californians are feeling at the moment. Rain Rain Rain!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

More are open today!!

Lavender Park

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Winner's Circle

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This arilbred opened yesterday.
Domingo

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

And this Louisiana has opened - the first LA to bloom this year.

Count Pulaski

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Sandy,
'MISTY LADY' looks lovely! And that's a good picture of 'MY FRIEND JONATHAN'. It's hard to photograph that one and get the color just right. It reblooms here too. :-)

HI Dorothie,
Has it stopped raining there yet? Your irises will probably get nice and tall from all that rain. It's cloudy here today - maybe we'll get a trace of rain soon. (I can only hope!)

~ Margie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

No it hasn't stopped raining! Candy Apple Classic and Lip Service are both blooming but photos would just be a waste. And they are cultivars I really love.

And you are right. Candy Apple Classic thinks it's a LA!!!

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Margie. I got a digital camera last year, and I love it. My eyesight is not that good, so I take a lot of pictures to get a few good ones, and just delete the bad ones.

Sandy

This message was edited Apr 4, 2006 12:58 PM

This message was edited Apr 4, 2006 12:59 PM

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Could this be 'Irish Tune'? It's chartreuse and an older one that's been blooming since January. Sometimes the blooms look more yellow, but today they're greenish.

Sandy

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sandy I'm not sure if it's Irish Tune or not, I've never really seen it before. Since all your other ones have been named correctly - I assume this is too. It does look a little greenish! Seems to match the description.

Here's the AIS description: IRISH TUNE

(G. Plough, R. 1977). Sdlg. 73-40-40. TB 35" (89 cm) E-L
"Greenish tint of sulphur yellow; yellow beard. Green Eyed Lady X Prideof Ireland.,

~ Margie

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Margie. Do you have a link to these descriptions? All I have been able to find is a list of names with dates and hybridizer. Thanks again,

Sandy

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sandy, where I get my information from is the 'American Iris Society Online database of AIS Check Lists and registered iris names'. There is a $10.00 a year fee for it, but it is always at your fingertips. for me - - it comes in quite handy. :-)

~ Margie

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Margie. That's pretty cheap for all that info.

Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.