Philodendron 'Pink Princess'

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I bought Philodendron 'Pink Princess' yesterday (how could I pass her up?) She is so beautiful and I want to make sure she stays that way. I have neglected many a philodendron in my day and of course they hung on regardless but I want to do better by this one. What is the best way to keep her thriving?

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Give her LOTS of humidity, either via pebble tray or in-room humidifier. Water when nearly dry; bright indirect light.

GH

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, GH.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulations on your great find. It's a very pretty philodendron.
Patti

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Patti. I am absolutely thrilled with the little darlin'. 8-)

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are some pics of leaves from mine:

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

And this one:

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

One more:

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i just have to have one of these!!!!!! haven't been able to find them in my area. i am not willing the pay the 35.00 from ebay.

kelly

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Great pictures, GH. I can't wait for mine to put out new leaves. How big will the plant get?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey there!

I just measured my plant. I had to stand it straight up in order to get accurate measurements. It's coming in at little over 3 feet tall! I REALLY need to get something for support. Sheesh!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Three feet tall! Well, I would say that GrowHappy is a very accurate name for you. What are you feeding that baby? And how old is your plant?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Actually, I haven't fed it regularly. I feed it when I think about it. I bought it last February(2005), so I've had it for a little over a year. It was probably about 1 foot when I bought it. It's really taken off in this one year. I have Messengered the plant about 3 times, probably.

You'll really enjoy this little baby. I love it. It's one of my favorite plants. Be careful if you ever cut the stem- it bleeds purple! It will stain anything it comes in contact with.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
Actually, I haven't fed it regularly. I feed it when I think about it.

You sound like my kind of gardener! LOL

Thanks for the heads up on the purple bleeding. It could come in handy at Halloween.

Have you tried to propagate yours?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, I've propagated, though my first few Winter attempts on another plant were unsuccessful. I used the stem cutting method. It works, but it is better when done in warm weather(late Spring/Summer). You have less chance of fatality due to rot. Of course, part of that failure could have been lack of experience on my part. LOL Anyway, just cut the main stem just below a node, stick in well draining soil, water, place in bright, indirect light and wait.:)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

And watch out for purple stains. LOL

Thanks for all the information.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.