Be sure to set your clocks on April 2

There are a total of 620 votes:

I love the start of Daylight Saving Time - longer days are back!
(365 votes, 58%)
Red dot

I like DST, but I wish we didn't have to re-set our clocks
(80 votes, 12%)
Red dot

I don't like DST and wish we'd stay on standard time all year
(131 votes, 21%)
Red dot

We don't observe the changes here
(22 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other?
(22 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW..I got the first vote..woohoo..I do so love DST....Jeanne

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

I can't say I enjoy changing times. Maybe it's time to move to Arizona :-)

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I LOVE DST!! I will gladly change all clocks...for more daylight! I am SO ready for spring and summer!!
Marcy

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

My feelings are that DST is another totally useless government program that should never have been started in the first place. Daylight hours are a product of seasonal changes not political manipulation.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

It allows me to be outside more.

Seaford, NY(Zone 7a)

more time to play in the garden after work!!

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I like it because I can play in the garden longer but I hate losing that hour of sleep and since I am an insomniac anyway it makes me all off schedule for lots longer than a day or two. :(

That being said it is awesome to be able to work outside in the evenings when the sun isn't such a bright cooker. :)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I love DST. It's always a sign to me that summer is on it's way...which, of course, means everything will be in full bloom! YAHOOOOOOO!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I think the government just right. One of the reasons for the changes is so that school children are not standing out waiting on the bus in the dark in the winter. In summers, the days are long that it is not a problem, so they give us back later hours in the evening.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I love DST. When I change those clocks it feels like spring is truly here! 'Course in the fall it's like saying goodbye to my garden and sunshine. ;~ (

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I voted for "other". I'm neutral towards daylight savings time itself, but it takes me about a month to adjust to getting up an hour "earlier". It's hard enough for me to get up as it is. The plus for me with DST, since I'm not working, is that the hottest part of the day is moved an hour later, so there's more time to get things done before it gets too hot out for me. Summer is the brutal season here. I "look forward" to it about as much as most of the rest of the country "looks forward" to winter.

As I understand it, DST and federal income tax were both first nationally implemented because of World War I and at that time were meant to be temporary. I think the moral of the story is to never approve of a "temporary" tax. The government will never learn to live without it. (I am not implying any connection between DST and income tax other than their origins, though you could find other similarities of you wanted to think about it.)

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love DST in the Spring,as it means summer is coming! I love the lingering light in the evening, especially as the nights warm. It's so great to see the neighborhood "come alive" after not seeing most of them over the winter. Our patio is the neighborhood gathering spot, starting with warm weather. DST lets me know it's time to get the extra chairs and pads out of storage ! Time to see how the little rugrats of the "Hood"(as we affectionately call it) have grown over the winter, give tours of our yard, and partake of some gentle socializing with neighbors, young and old. My favorite visits, of course, are my local neighborhood gardeners!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I have no problem adjusting. I just wish they would pick one and stay with it. Resetting clock are a bother. I do have an atomic one but the dumb thing will turn around and go back to standard time, and then re-reset itself. I keep it because I like to know the EXACT time. (Because I can, not because I'm nuts) (:>) (>:)

This message was edited Mar 27, 2006 1:28 PM

Claypool, AZ

We don't change in Arizona. We tried it one year and it was 110 degrees and the sun was out at nine o'clock at night. I prefer the extra light in the morning and I'm sure my garden does too.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Daylight Savings Time ROCKS. Period !

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

My 2 ¢ worth ................ Makes no difference to me with our lifestyle.

Daylight is daylight on the ol farm ;-))

( no matter what the clock says )

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I hear you, scooterbug! Daylight is what it is, regardless of govt. interference LOL!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm tired of waking up at 4:30 lately, and will be very happy when that becomes 5:30. I wish we'd have daylight saving time all year. When we change back in the fall, I'll be very embarrassed when I'm falling asleep on the couch by 9:00 for the first couple of weeks.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey now... There's nothing wrong with falling asleep at 9:00pm! My husband and I both do it regularly. And no, we're not elderly. We're in our mid/late-twenties! When we go visit my husband's grandparents at their cottage in the summer, grandma gets quite irked when we fall asleep at the table at 9:30pm. We can usually escape her grasp by around 10:30 or 11 (if we whine and plead). Then, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can still hear grandma and grandpa playing games at 2:00am!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted "other" - a day or two for adjusting isn't too hard to handle. Otherwise it's really not a problem.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I agree with the "daylight is daylight" folks; it's still dark when the kids get up anyway. It takes a few weeks for me to get adjusted, but I'm on so many different medications that sometimes I can just adjust them to manipulate my alertness. I think some of my clocks are still on the other kind of time, in fact.
xxxxxx, Carrie

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I guess I can say I like it because it is already light so early it wakes me up before I want to, although the later nights mean more time outside and the virtual end of house work done.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

It seems to me that the only ones who benefit from DSL is the 9 to 5ers. It doesn't benefit farmers, homemakers, or the retired. There is the exact same time of daylight hours regardless of what the clock says. It certainly doesn't affect the way a garden grows! :-) It doesn't take less AC to cool anyone's home.
It is a source of confusion to many.

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

I like it when I'm working, but it hasn't made much of a difference since I've been at home all the time. I'm going to really feel it this year, though, because I start school on Monday and will have to get up a half hour earlier than usual anyways. I'm going to be completely zonked by Monday night. ☺

Rhonda

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Logically, it doesn't do anything for *actual time*, but it does cause us to reset our body clocks mentally and think the day is longer. Personally, I'm for it, because not only does it result in everyone shifting everything an hour ahead, it frees up my schedule to spend more time outside in the evening (and makes the hubby available after work for "honey-dos (-: ).

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

It would be okay with me if we went to Daylight Savings Time and never went back! I --LOVE-- Daylight Savings Time.

The clocks went forward to BST for us on the 26th March. It doesn't affect me much either way as daylight hours during the depths of winter here are very short anyway.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I like the extra hour in the evening, but I like getting up early. Right now it is daylight at 5:30 AM. I hate to see it be later.
Bernie

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We're exactly the opposite, Bernie. An hour more of sleep would be divine.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I haven't had DST for maybe 40 years...until this Sunday so I don't know how well I will like it.
We are already 30 mintutes ahead of sun time here in east central Indiana with EST and we will be 90 mintues soon.

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

I found it! This was an interview with the gent who did the bedrock research on DST. Most people think it was invented to make various things happen during World War I. It was actually thought up by a fellow in England in 1907 who thought having sunlight at the end of the day would be better than sunlight at the beginning of the day. (this gent was NOT a farmer.) The British Gov't and the US Gov't adopted it during WWI because it did make some sense.

(I believe there is also some evidence that Ben Franklin suggested it as well- he wasn't a farmer either!) The point about the farmers is that they effectively use the morning sunlight more than the evening sunlight. I would think people like roofing contractors and others who work in the broiling sun would prefer to have the morning when it is cool be longer.

Daylight saving (kind of a weird title because it isn't like there is "extra" daylight) does make sense because it saves energy, lowers crime, increases safety getting to and from work and school. Fundamentally...it improves the economy because people spend more money shopping after work. Gardeners who have a day job love it because you can work in the garden in the evening.

I think the most interesting thing about the interview is the assertion that DST is really the standard because it is in place more months than "standard" time.

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=05-P13-00017&segmentID=2

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I love Daylight Saving Time! I love having an extra hour in the evenings to be outside, and in the winter, I really dislike traveling 25 miles home from work, in the dark, in a blizzard. The blizzard would be much easier to drive in if it was at least light out. Something about blowing snow and headlights just makes it so much harder to see.

Sorry Nifty, I edited my post to be SAVING time.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2006 10:12 AM

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Quoting:
scooterbug,
Daylight is daylight on the ol farm ;-))

( no matter what the clock says )

Love it! I do remember.... Up before dawn (4AM) for milking the cows, yeowsers!

~* Robin

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I'll gladly lose an hour of sleep and reset everyone's clock for having more light after work. Ben Franklin was a genious! (But wasn't he joking when he recommended this?)

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I wish more people would realize that it is Daylight SAVING Time, not Daylight SAVINGS Time! Grrrrr

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

DST should be celebrated as a holiday. I actually look forward to this time of year, more than any other day.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Love it!! I'm outside playing in the garden into the evening.

Susan

Denham Springs, LA

I don't like DST. It feels like we have to get up an hour earlier for a week or so. Child is up with the sun, and refuses to observe bedtime when it is still daylight outside. The sun shines late into evening resulting in no relief from the heat and we have way too much intense heat anyway. Hmmm, maybe it has nothing to do with DST, maybe I just hate the heat. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.