Does hydrogen peroxide get too old?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

How long can one keep hydrogen peroxide? I have several bottles I bought last summer and never got to us or even open. Are they still good to use to soak seeds and add to water for plants?

Thanks,

Maureen

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5b)

If it contains stabilizers (check the 'ingredient' list, if it says anything other than hydrogen peroxide and water, it contains stabilizers) then it should last on your shelf about 3 years.
Food grade h2o2 is not as highly stabilized as the regular drug store type and will not last as long.

You can 'test' if it still works by making a 50/50 solution, placing it in a bowl or container with any object, plastic, metal, a seed etc. if you come back in 10 minutes there should be oxygen bubbles surrounding the object. If there isn't, its time to buy new hydrogen peroxide.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

It will last longer if unopened. When you open H2O2 make sure that you recap tightly; clearly the less you open the bottle the more stable it remains. If it has destabilized it will have essentially reverted to water- not that I recommend drinking it, but it is harmless and will not harm plants, the environment, etc.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much! That info is extremely helpful--I have about 8 large bottles that I never used.

Thanks again,

Maureen

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We keep ours that we use in veterinary medicine closed and they will last at 3% for over 3 to 4 years. As soon as you expose them to air they will break down fairly fast 2 to 3 months. Its easy to tell just dip your finger in and does it fizz?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I teach chemistry and find the type you buy at the store (3%) to have an extremely short shelf life once opened like Soferdig says.
Debbie

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks again all, I think mine is good enough to use, as it has been unopened and is not quite 1 year old, 8 months at most. It appears to still be fizzy and bubbly too.

One more question, what ratio of peroxide to water would you use to soak seeds?

Thanks again,

Maureen

Jacksonville, NC

Want I used/did was

1 gallon distilled water

2 oz. of Hydrogen Peroxide

I use that for everything. watering/soaking

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I use 1/2 cup per gallon. That's DS Hydrogen Peroxide in brown bottles.
Sidney

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I'll probablly go with the half cup method.

Thanks for the info everyone! ☺

Maureen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.