Do you think we're going to have another frost?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Do you think we're going to have another frost?

I started moving my hanging plants out on the back porch today... I'm getting claustrophobic!!!! They will be easy to move back inside but the big pots are another thing altogether.

The Brugs and their bugs are about to get the best of me, just spotted a new crop of insects on a big brug today, so I want to take the water hose to all of them them, outside of course. Only thing is they are too heavy to be bringing in and out of the house. I'm to the point of saying, if they survive fine, if not "oh well".

Are you moving plants out yet?

Judy

This message was edited Mar 16, 2006 8:12 AM

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I must have scared everyone... that's me looking at one of the brugs with magnifying lens.

Tomorrow I start moving... life is going to return to normal ..maybe!!

Judy

This message was edited Mar 16, 2006 8:11 AM

Olive Branch, MS(Zone 7b)

I'm tempted to move some plants outside, but I'm afraid we'll have at least one more frost.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

My neighbor moved some out over the weekend and they got frost bit last night. I am still moving some out for the day but bringing them in at night.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

These are the BIG brug pots [picture is from last summer]. As you can see it will not be an easy chore to move them out, so once outside, they aren't coming back in.

I checked my records and 3/25 was when I took down the panels of the enclosed porch. therefore I'm so tempted to do the same and move the brugs that are in the house out into the yard.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

i did some that were near dead lost . I'm ready to.. i'm counting on cold but not a frost but snow in north so might get colder air down here.. hope not .. your brugs are so beautiful won't loose them i hope.. blessings.. Twyla

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

Believe it or not, we had frost last night, I was very surprised. Didn't bother any of the plants, but there is always a possibility, April 16 is Easter, no frost expected after that, but this year looks like an early spring to me...

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm sure glad 'business' got in the way of me moving plants... the forecast for Tuesday is a low of 28F..... too cold for most of my plants. I've decided the insects have another week to feast before it will be safe to take down the panels.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hey Judy, I need a pair of those things LOL, does it make it alot easier to see those critters LOL.

I moved a few things right outside the greenhouse door, but recently moved them all back inside, we had 29 a few days ago, it was enough for me to say it's not time yet. 45 today, I hate the cold, so ready for 70 degrees. Soon though, I hope another week or so I can move things out. Seems to get so windy and stormy here in April that things get damaged especially the brugs, I don'tknow about bringing them outside or not just yet.

Greenhouse is looking really full with all the propigating going on LOL

kathy_ann

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I moved all these outside they were on the floor of the greenhouse, mostly daylilies and mints that I wanted to see some green on . I did leave them all outside.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy Ann, You are unbelievable!!

I don't have a greenhouse but my porch is full of plants that desperately need to be outside. Spider mites are all over the brugs but I can't use an insecticide in an enclosed area because I have nasty case of bronchitis.

I'm going to start a new thread "if you could have any plant you wanted", please post on it so I'll know what plants you do not have that you would like to have... I haven't forgotten all the brugs you sent me and I would some day like to return the favor.

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hey, I"ve seen your porch, I remember it being quite full LOL and with a bunch of beauties .

I'll go hunt up that thread.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Kathy Ann, You have been busy. I thought I had a lot of seeds started.

Betty

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I only have a couple flats of seeds going LOL the rest are cuttings.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

After many years of asking the question that is the topic of this thread, I have learned to be patient and wait till April the 15th to move things out. Daylilies shouldn't have a problem with the cold but the more tender things definitely will. Since I always have great luck keeping my plants alive inside under lights, I don't want to kill them by taking them out too soon. I now have a gardenia that is blooming its little heart out and I love it. My begonias are really showing off with their beautiful blooms and lots of my tropicals are too. I just tell them to be patient and they will soon be taking a vacation out in the sunshine.....

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Mornin'!
Raining since early Sat. am so I'm bored being stuck in the house.

I've been tempted to move my brugs and other tender plants out of the lean-to into the no.1 greenhouse which is in mostly sun all day so even unheated it stays 10 degrees or so warmer than outside temps.I've had couple doz. trays of tomatoes out there since the end of Feb and nothing has stopped them even a couple of night time temps around freezing and a couple light frost so I guess brugs will do all right.

P

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Good morning, Judy
Are you planning on coming to the KYRU this year? Ellen, I know you will be there with bells on! I cannot wait until warm weather is here to STAY.
We have had a few below 30 nights here again!
Teresa in KY

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Yep, bluegrass, I will definitely be there with bells on. It is one of my favorite things to do every year. I hope that everyone in our area will start planning to attend.

Union Grove, AL

Well it sleeted here for well over an hour, so I'd be a might cautious putting things outside yet. I'll probably pu the tough stuff out in a couple of weeks, but only what i an willing to haul back in. Shaping up to be an early Spring, but ya never know

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

bluegrass425, I won't be able to attend the KYRU 2006. I did attend in 2004 and realized it is too far away from our location for a day trip. It is impossible for me to spend the night because we have too many critters.

I would very much be interested in a RU in the Memphis or Middle TN area.

Judy

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Did I hear the weatherman right? SNOW! Gosh I hope he is wrong again.

Union Grove, AL

Middle of next week supposed to be dancing around the freeze point for 3 nights, YIKES! on the snow at least i'm gonna be spared that.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The weather forecast for our area has been revised.... Dog Gone!!
HI Low
49 ° | 30 °
53 ° | 27 °
52 ° | 29 °
52 ° | 29 °
54 ° | 31 °

It's a good thing you all posted a word of caution or I would be moving them all back in today. Thank You, Thank You!!!

Judy
Picture is a Purple Datura (double/triple) from last summer

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Union Grove, AL

Judy, just noticed the spider mite problem, 2 things to try that probably won't bother you, i am chemicaly sensitive among a lot of other things and these work sorta for me. I tablespoon Dawn or Joy to 1 gal water, this won't stop em cold but will slow em down, sometimes wipes em out., more risk inside is sunlight oil, follow package directions, I spray outside let dry and bring back in, I'd sniff the bottle before you buy it to be safe, it smothers the little devils and they don't get used to it, I've used it for years and little problems, but read the don't spray list, some things are horribly disfugured. Lowes normally carries it and sometime Home Depot I had a client with horrid spidermite problems on her marigolds, go fiqure, we had planted them to keep the bugs off the roses, well it did work sorts, lol. Any way i started adding soap to my insecticide, I could use them back then, and malithion started working better than ever, Iran out of malithion and did a heavy soap on marigolds as they were less important than the roses and I'd get to em next week, well the mites went away and as long as i used soap they stayed away in that garden, doesn't work some places but does many, didn't have sunlight oil back then,'87 or '88 but Dawn sure did the trick. worth trying.
Jeff

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

My plants don't know that they have almost a month to stay inside. They are all really starting to Wake Up and grow. I take as many as I can outside on pretty days, but they all protest when I start to bring them back inside. You know trying to grab hold of the door and not let me take them back in. LOL

The way I figure it about 24 days and counting till they can go out and stay.

Betty

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Jeff - Thanks so much for the suggestions.. I'll give Dawn a try today since that is the dish washing product I'm using. I'll have to go to the "big city" for the Sunlight and will definitely pick some up when I'm there next.

Betty your area is colder than mine... after this cold snap, out mine go. I can't take it any longer. I definitely know about those plants hugging the door, but I left some tropicals out so long last night they were fussing at me for not having brought them in sooner. lol

The sun is out and the high is now predicted to be 55F.

Have a Good Day everyone!!

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

This was of interest to me so I thought I would share it. Although of interest, I'm not sure it did anything but further confuse me.

Also a friend just told me that her Grandparents always said "when Easter comes late, there will be a late freeze" and she swears that holds true.

Last Spring Freeze

Station ................Earliest ...............Latest ................Average
Memphis TN.......Feb 14, 1981.....Apr 16, 1962..... Mar 22
Jackson, TN....... Mar 17, 1976.....Apr 23, 1986..... Apr 5
Jonesboro, AR.. Mar 06, 1952..... May 6, 1927..... Apr 1
Tupelo, MS........ Mar 01, 1974..... May 4, 1976..... Mar 30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
National Weather Service
Memphis, TN Weather Forecast Office

This message was edited Mar 21, 2006 4:28 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Judy, How far are you from Memphis TN?

kathy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

We're 80 miles east of Memphis right at the TN/MS Stateline.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2006 4:33 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh, I'm 2 hours from memphis, I have an uncle in Hernando .

Was just wondering.

I'd go to memphis for a plant party LOL

kathy

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Hello to all....I drug my tropicals outside two weekends ago...my DH insisted on cleaning out the garage!! They have all survived okay except for the Fire Spike, which blackened from the frost we've had the past two nites.

My Brugmansia and a big palm tree are still in the garage...didn't want to lose those two big ones!!

Judy, your Brugs and Daturas are gorgeous!! Mine has only bloomed one time really beautifully...the rest of the time its been a few blooms here and there. I've had it for 3 years...am I doing something wrong? It takes alot of water and I've noticed if I put it where it gets alot of sun that it wilts so I keep it in partial shade...could that be my problem? What about fertilizing?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Fertilizing makes all the difference in the world. Folks use various things for fertilizing, I"ve always used miracle grow, and I love the results. If you have one blooming size, I'd use the bloom buster miracle grow on it. fertilizing 2 times a month. I usually don't have time to do but once a month if i'm lucky, but any helps rather than none at all, this spring, start pouring it to your brug, and it will make a big difference in the blooms.

Full sun always wilts my brugs too, sometimes even part shade wilts them it gets so hot here in the summer months. BUt I have a front porch that is l00% shade, and they do terrible on the front porch, I always put them where they can get part sunshine. Water often in spring and summer, If their outside I water every day almost, cause they dry completely out daily. Put it in a big pot 5 gallon or larger, larger the pot, the bigger it will grow. That's true for brugs. LOL

I got gallon sized babies in 5 gallon pots LOL, I'm nuts I know..

hope this helps

we have a few more days of light frost then it looks like it may be over, keeping my fingers crossed, next week were' up in the 40's at nights and high 60's during the day and 70's, yay!! I"m seriously ready for spring time.

kathy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

babybluesntn - Kathy is 'so right' about the care and feeding of Brugs!!

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Well, mine is in a HUGE pot and its definitely blooming size--its at least 5' tall. I do water daily in the summer as it does dry out, but I haven't been fertilizing as often as I should...I'm sure that's the problem. I have been using Algoflash and I also got some STINKY fish emulsion but I can't stand the odor...the plants probably like it tho'! I'll try fertilizing more and see if that doesn't help.
That Charles Grimaldi brug is gorgeous!!! I would love to have that one, but I dare not buy anything else to overwinter in the garage since we no longer have our full unfinished basement...until I get a greenhouse that is!! LOL its always something to get our gardener's money isn't it? But, hey, it could be worse...we could be addicted to drugs or alcohol or shoe shopping!!! I told my new DH that he doesn't realize how lucky he is that I am not a clothes/shoe shopaholic...only daylilies and flowers!!

Here is a picture of a Firespike...one of you were asking about what they looked like on another thread recently. I bought this in Fla.-hummers love it!

Thumbnail by babybluesntn
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, don't go and buy that Charles Grimaldi when you get your greenhouse, that one is too easy to come by for postage. I absolutely love that fire spike, is it perennial? I'd love to have some of it. LOL

Why is it were always wanting what the other one has LOL

kathy

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy, it may be a perennial in the deep South, but it isn't hardy in zone 6-7 where I am. The leaves are partially blackened from the frosts we've had this week, but its still surviving. I'm not going to drag it back into the garage because I have it in a big pot.

It blooms in late summer, almost too late for the hummers if the weather turns cold quickly. But its a beauty, with waxy red flower spikes all over.

I also have the Cape Honeysuckle, whose flowers are much bigger than the Alabama Crimson honeysuckle I have, or other common types. It is not hardy in my zone either and is still in the garage...it even bloomed IN the garage this winter! Too bad the hummers weren't here to enjoy it!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy - the Firespike roots just like a brug probably easier... might I suggest you two exchange cuttings. I forgot and left my Firespike outside when I moved the other plants inside or I would send you cuttings. It was beautiful!!

BabyBluesntn - the Charles Grimaldi brug is a must have!! It blooms like crazy all summer long, roots easily, wonderful fragrance, etc.

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hum, didn't know it rooted easily by cuttings. cool

it is quite pretty, I'm zone 7 too, guess it wouldn't over winter outside here either.

kathy

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

The Firespike is beautiful.
My Brugs do best where they get Morning sun. The ones that get the afternoon sun wilt SO bad even with a lot of water. The ones in total shade just don't bloom as well.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Wish me luck the Brugmansias are going outside TODAY!!!!

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.