Do you think we're going to have another frost?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Hi folks ! I live in Clinton, which is just outside of Jackson(MS). We actually had a frost this morning! I have over a dozen potted daylilies outside , but they spent the whole winter outside , and they are fine. I know it hurts things more when they have just been brought out from shelter.I worked outside this evening and the weather was great - I just couldn't last very long!
Do any of you root tree ivy and what time of the year? We tried some several weeks back and it isn't looking very good. Should I wait till fall?

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Judy - I looked up where Pocahontas, TN is--you are near Savannah, where our Pastor is from...Jeff LaBorg who was the Pastor at Shiloh Baptist for the past 12 years. Do you know of him?

We are supposed to have freezing temps again tonite Judy...one more night and then, according to the weather channel, we're in the clear for warm temps from here on!! HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed. is supposed to be sunny and in the 70's. I hear the yard calling my name!!

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

We had frost for the past week here in the Nashville area. My Firespike is looking pitiful because I didn't bring it back in. Shame on me...it was so healthy!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I still hadn't carried anything out, so I didn't have to worry. My plants in the yard are looking fine though. My yellow rose of Texas is starting to bloom and the frost hasn't hurt any of the flowering trees or shrubs. I can't really see any harm that has been done by the frost and freezes. I am really glad of that. I still haven't pruned my roses and they need it now as the forsythia is in bloom. The butterfly bushes still need trimming. I just didn't like getting out there when it was so cold. Looks like I will be able to do it all this coming week. Wish me luck!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Shivvvvvver. 28 degrees this morning. I worked in the yard all day yesterday and got a lot of things done. But I NEVER get finished. My body is telling me this morning that it isn't used to bending that way. LOL My fingers are all scratched and splinters everywhere. New gloves today. LOL DH tells everybody that I will be back in November. He is almost right. I usually have breakfast on the deck and hardly come in the house until dark. I am high on a hill and very private. I will take a cup of tea and go for my first morning "walkabout" in my jammies. LOL

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Picabo, you sound just like me...if I could live outside all summer and spring, I would be happy! I love sitting on the deck to eat, and love walking around in my yard, surveying everything, inhaling it, and enjoying it...the saying "You are nearer God's heart in a garden than anywhere else on earth" is SO true!

My firespike is almost totally black now except the stems. I'll cut it back and I'm sure it will survive--just another lesson for next winter/spring. I was just telling my DH that I want to get a Charley's Greenhouse by Sept. so I dont' have to fill up the garage with plants...and for other obvious reasons!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I will tell you from experience it don't help. I built a little GH/Potting shed several years ago thinking that I would get things out of the basement. My little plant brain just said "Now look how much room you have" and I bought twice as much. Since joining DG It is three times as much and growing LOL Poor DH he just don't understand.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

My dearly beloved of 53 years has never understood either. Don't worry, he will get used to it. LOL!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Nope! LOL
We have been married 17 years and he still don't get it. LOL I still wouldn't trade him for a Master Gardner. LOL

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

A wise decision on your part, I must say! Good men are hard to find! Better hang on to them when we do find them, whether they understand the plant thingie or not, huh?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.