Vegetable garden 2006

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I started the garden this month. I put garden off for few years due build house, baby, spent work in the house. Now I have time to do my garden this year. Also DH got me a new tiller after my old one gave up.

I started with big garden this year so I can have several different kind of vegetables, (eggplants, tomatoes, cukes, okras, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, green beans). It will be fun for my children.

That garden was where our old home was. We built our new house in front.. see pix. I decided to have garden where home was. I removed lots of bananas and replanted them around the house. That's where I have been working saturday and yesterday all afternoon. I am not done with garden yet. I plan to start plant on March 20 or two days before.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

That's me with tiller working in the garden. My DS was good helper! He raked all the loose grass out of garden. Also the chickens helped too. They have fun.. found several bugs to eat. My DD took that picture yesterday afternoon. I spent all afternoon in the garden.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here's my seedings. I didn't expected they did sprouted too soon. I sowed the seeds on 3/7.. look at the seedlings.

They are drawf marigolds on left and see the large seedlings. It's zuchinni. I wish I have known. I would sow them in ground instead this starter. LOL. Some of marigolds, I plan to plant in veg garden between each plants.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Those are tomatoes seedlings (better boy, roma, cherry 100) and on right side is yellow squash, spaghetti squash...

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Looks like you're off to a good start. What a sweet son you have to help you with the hard work. Good luck. Happy planting.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Great garden, Tricia! It's nice to have good help, huh? Keep taking pics so we can watch it grow.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes, That's where I will post pictures here.. as they grow.. today is beautiful breeze day but it's gonna rain from thurs thru the weekend. Ugh..... I am not done with garden.. I need to tiller about 3 inches deep more then ready to plant. I can't wait. Then next project is make garden for catalopes, watermelons and pumpkins on the hill on other side of yard. Glad to have large land so I can plant everywhere! LOL

Get that tilling done before it rains!!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

That's what I am going to do today and tomorrow to get them done! I hope so!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Got a clean slate here for green beans...back behind is garlic, a russelia bush, two tomatoes and some squash, and cucmbers just planted on the black trellis.....gotta get those green beans in today; you never know, it might actually rain in Texas.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here's the picture of my garden that I have been working all afternoon tiller and made 12 rows! Tomorrow I will start plant green beans, peas, okras, zucchini, squash, few corns (try), before rain start in next two days for about 5 days. It's good time to plant before rain start.

I will need to tiller other small about 1 or 2 rows for cucumbers. I would plant cucumbers in the garden with others but they would spread all over and hard to walk thru the rows so I decided to seprate them from garden. That what I will do tomorrow morning also make other small garden for watermelons, cataloupes and pumpkins for kids.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz

Looks great, Tricia! You know, we trellis our cukes and they grow straight up the netting: it's quite tidy.

We're doing gardens for the kids too: it's really fun for them.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

tricia - nice picture, nice house and NICE TILLER.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Beautiful home, family and garden. What more could anyone want?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Updated: Finally I finished tillered the dirts, fertizler the dirt and planted seeds of watermelons, cantaloupes and pumpkins in each hills. I planted each in different hills. Will take pictures and post it later.

Today, it's beautiful cool weather. Will do is plant the beans etc.. in the garden. Need to tiller the small garden for cukes after lunch.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh yeah that's a lot of work that you has huge garden wow so neat that's why the reason you got so tired from it work so hard but good and you will enjoy to picking the nice and beautiful veggies and enjoy to taste so fresh. Yummy =>P....

Thank for telling me about your posted here!

This message was edited Mar 16, 2006 9:28 AM

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Done planting cukes, okras(bit too early), watermelons, cantaloupes, bell pepper, banana pepper, few tomatoes, beans, squashes yesterday. Still waiting on eggplants seedlings. Only 3 came up. Maybe I will go and buy few egg plants from nearby nursery and plant in. Yesterday, I made another garden for only watermelons, cantaloupes and pumpkins only on the high hill. I made lots of hills for those seeds. Hope they will bring some fruits this year. I have bad luck with grow those. Hopefully this time since I put some fertziler in the dirts and tiller real good. Wish me luck. :o)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Hopefully to grow the best this year! Crossed fingers >:/

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Looking forward to seeing the progress of your new garden! I am having a garden this year for the first time in years, also - except I'm in zone 6b now, and it will be a while before anything can go outside. Good luck!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

kmom246, you too Good luck! So far my plants seems take off good. No rain here yet.. As it supposed three days ago.. Still None, Have been watered them by water can... The seedling of squashes I planted.. they took it well. Bad two hens which my little DS open the chicken pen and got eggs and left door open. The hen came out and straight to the garden and pull true leaves off from 3 squashes seedlings. Ugh..... Lucky, I have some more seedlings that need to be plant anyhow. I tied the door with rope so Matt cannot open it. :o)

The tomatoes seedlings still too early to put it out in the garden. It doesn't have the true leaves yet. Still growing....... I think I have about 30 of them! Opps too many but I can give it away to someone who want to grow tomatoes! Or I maybe tiller a long row for tomatoes. :o) I am having FUN to have gardens.. He he..

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Yes, gardening is such fun. I love it when those tiny little plants start popping up. DH says there's "nuthin purtier" than a freshly tilled garden.

Too early for us here in zone 6, but it won't be long. I can hardly wait.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm waiting for my melon seeds to arrive and because of my disability I use the commercial earthboxes. This will be a first time for me to truly grow melons in them. Although we have a full season here, no down time, it seems forever waiting for the new seeds to arrive.

Mini -- you go girl! Don't forget to take pictures of your crop as they grow? Especially the melons...

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

Mini - great looking layout. Dont forget that you can start seeds for squash, beans and cukes throughout the summer.. just push them into the rows next to the older plants. This way you will have new plants coming up when others are dying back. One year I put in new seeds every two weeks... Keep us posted.

Good advice. It's a really good way to beat the pests, too.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

swoznick..Thanks for advice.. I have plenty seeds leftover.. I am going to do it.. I never thought about that..

Here's m y recent pix of my garden.. Egg plants, tomatoes, bell pepper, banana peppers are in. The front tomatoes, I need to move them every 2 feet away. They was too close to each other.

Finally, it rains today! It supposed to rain last weekend but didn't. Thanks for holding rain until today. It didnt pour heavy but just light rain.. my garden needed it.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2006 1:17 PM

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz

Looks great! What do you grow on the trellis in back?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Just few posts... nothing in there.. it used to be roof for tractor.. Woods got rotten and fall apart! It's by the creek there.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Wow, that's quite a garden you have there. Very nice! Your property looks really big, do you do it all by yourself?
Melissa

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

yeah for garden yes.. for the property.. DH and I do the work, mostly me. We owns 18 acres of land.. we only cut about 5 acres.. and let others into woods.... for four wheeler riding, hunting where my boys like that, and soon we hire someone to come and dig a pond in front pasture.

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

It looks great...keep us posted!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

WHooooo... the cucumbers are sprouted...... I think about 20 of it on a long row. WHoo I am going to have lots of cucumbers!!! Hopefully! We love to eat cucumbers with tomatoes.....

This message was edited Mar 22, 2006 3:00 PM

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

You do a lot of work. It looks really nice!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Need any advice... pls... I need to put something cover the garden tonight! It might be light frost.. Tonight it will be low 38's. What kind I should cover my tomatoes, egg plants, and bell peppers and few cucumber seedlings also squashes seedlings? I have several milk gallons. That I can cut on bottom and cover few plants.. I think tomatoes?? or egg plants. I have read somwhere that they use white sheet??

I just want play safe for my plants.. :o)

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 2:39 PM

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I am exciting!!!! Two of my tomatoes have very small flowers buds even a bell pepper have one flower bud! Today I went to nearby feeder store and bought cucumber seeds which it is more fresh than the one I bought from the walmart package. Will go and sow the seeds in the garden later. DH will put fence around my garden to keep our lab dogs out even the critters too.

Yesterday morning.. it looked the last frost killed my zucchini and squash... Lucky, I have some seeds to plant. I don't think I will trust the moon chart when to plant. It was in 35's last sun early morning.

Some of pumpkins seedlings are up! :o)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Just want share with yall what I checked my garden this morning. The weather is nice, warm, light windy, full cloudy and sun's peeking thru cloudy.

Here's squash that I grew from seed. I forget which kind of squash (zucchini, crookneck squash or spaghetti squash). I started the seed on 3/7/06 in seed tray. It look like it have flower buds or new leaves??? I never grow squash before. It will be first time. I am exciting.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here's tomato plants. I bought from nearby nursery place. They have healthy vegetables plants than other places I saw. They know me well since I go and shop there lots of time. Well it's nearby my home. See the black tomato tray under each tomatoes plant. I found them at Walmart on sale.. 4 years ago and it been sitting in shed. I found it while cleaned last weekend. I put them each tomatoes and water in tray so water won't touch the tomatoes leaves.

Before I plant the tomatoe plant. I dig a deep hole, put 1 tbsp of slow-release all purpose plant food then plant tomato plant. Now they look healthy and growing big. On some of them already have flowers buds.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Good looking garden you have there. We have to wait another month up here to plant tomatoes
-Kim

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here's tomato plant flower buds!!! Exciting here!

Now I need to buy tomato stalks for each tomatoes. Which is better? Save $$ Use wood stalk, build fence to put around tomatoe or tomato cage that you can find them any gardens stores..

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Well... are you going to prune the tomatoes to one stem or let them do their thing (sprawl)? We prune to one or two stems and use 8ft metal fence posts pounded deep. Last year we also used some tomato cages but most were not strong enough to support the plant or didn't go deep enough and started leaning. We are going to use mostly metal fence posts this year.

Whatever you do buy or build bigger than you think you need! Tomatoes can get up to 8 foot tall or more!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Ok, Really I need to prune each tomatoes and every time I see new shoot between stem and leave.. I remove it. I don't want them to grow in like big bushes.. I like it to grow it to be tall as it can grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.