Hello! Time to put up your Bluebird Boxes!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody--

Springtime weather today so I ran over to the Hardware Store to pick up some Blue Bird Boxes and then talked with our Park Ranger about where the best spots were for them. He had some good (specific) suggestions. Apparently the hole size is very important.

He also told me I should have my boxes up by March 15 at the latest around here! So I'm a little late getting started.

Here's a link explaining why/how/when/what for Blue Bird Nest Boxes FYI.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Resources/wbirds/attracting/bluebirds.htm

Our neighbors have a trail and they have lots of fun with it and we hope to too. I'm hoping to get some good pics this year.

Any DGers had success with attracting Blue Birds to their boxes? I'd love to hear about first hand experience.

Thanks. t.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi, Tabasco - I'm putting up a bird house for the Blues for the first time this weekend so I appreciate the info.

The bird lady I talked to when I got my house suggested grubs as a real attracter for them. She said to get live ones and actually put them in a small dish attached to the top of the bird house. She said they would see the movement and come down, and thus see a beautiful home just for them - I'm going to try it - I'll let you know if it works. - Becki

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Well, I have up two boxes and one has a pair of blue birds in them and when I went out this monring to feed the outside cats, I saw another male blue bird on the other house. So I hope to have two families here.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I think it is way too cold here and the birds can somehow tell. Other years by this time Meadowlarks and bluebirds have been here. This year only transients so far are many robins and my pair of phoebes.

I have had a short bluebird house trail of 6 or 7 nesthouses.The English sparrows are the worst problem. So far I have caught 8 or 9 of the rascals in my live trap.

I buy live mealworms from Grubco for the bluebirds. I bought a lidded clear plastic box near the size of a shoebox, drilled a couple of tiny holes for air in the top, and when the box of mealworms come (the mealworms are in a cloth bag with newspaper for their trip) I scrape them into the plastic box, scatter some oatmeal on the top of them and a piece or two of lettuce. Then when I put them out for the bluebirds, I bought two mealworm feeders with hinged lids. I scoop a bunch of 25 or 30 and put in the feeders... When they have babies hatched I put the meal worms out two or three times a day.

It is really neat to see the male carry a beak full of mealies over to the nest for his mate when she is in the nestbox incubating the eggs.

I will post a picture of one of the bluebirds, I took lots of pictures a couple of years ago using my monopod.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

For the past week now I have had a pair of Blue Birds building in one of my many houses. Here in the Southeast They start as early as late Feb. I leave the Boxes up year round as the Blue Birds use them as roosting boxes in the winter here. Last year had my first Albino blue bird. Will try to get some pics of my nesting pair and post them.

dax and rutholive-- interesting about the meal worms--I just don't know if I can handle them...(not that much of a nature girl really)...I did read about a couple of women who raise their own meal worms to cut down on the expense. mmmm....sounds like a good idea in the abstract! I could handle blueberries. Do they like those?! (-:

Congratulations, roseone, on getting your boxes filled. You must be in bluebird heaven, there, to have the bluebirds beat out the sparrows and wrens, etc, right away.

Rutholive-- do you get the Mountain Bluebird or the Western Blue Bird? I think the Mountain Blue Bird is the one that migrates the most, right?

With the mild winter here, the Ranger said we had blue birds in the park all year this year, but I'm hoping more will arrive.

Pouring rain today so no progress made here on the BB trail installation. (I'm trying to get my neighbors to go in on it.)

gldandrews-- so good to hear from you on this thread since I know you have the straight scoop on BBs from your (boyscout) experience! Now we will for sure want to see some pics! How many boxes do you have this year?

And do you think the Albino will come back? I read somewhere that the lifespan of a bluebird was about one year-- which isn't really very long compared to other birds (or is it?) ...

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

tabasco,
Now you should know that if you started a Bluebird thread that I would jump in. LOL! I have 8 houses on my property and of course several on the property of friends as I give nest boxes as Christmas gifts. Did I mention that I'm a bluebird FREAK. On the life span when I was doing the bluebird trail and we would put leg bands on the young before they fledged to keep track of them, the average life span was about four the five years as they return each spring for nesting.
Be sure to check in on the young when they start leaving the nest boxes as sometimes a few may not be able to make in out on there on and need a little help. Don't worry about touching the young or opening the nest boxes as Bluebirds are very forgiving and thankful for the human help!

Gary

This message was edited Mar 12, 2006 6:03 AM

Bastrop, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a pair nesting in my box too. They checked it out last year, and started a nest, but a pair of mockingbirds ran them off. This year, the mockingbirds didn't pester them, and they are nesting happily. I love watching them bring their babies to the birdbath. This evening there was a red-shouldered hawk on top of the post where the box is, but there are a pair of red-shouldereds that stayed over the winter here. They don't seem to go after birds in my yard. The male focuses on the pasture around the house, and the female must hunt somewhere else most of the time. A Cooper's hawk and a sharpshin come in occasionally and get after the birds at the feeders. A kestrel also checks out the yard in the winter, but he's already left. I'm hoping the bluebirds decide to stay.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have two bb houses and both were used last year - I suspect the same two pairs will use them again this year - they haven't started building here yet, though they've been in our yard for about a month now.

I hung the hummingbird feeders this week - they will be here in a couple of weeks.

Hi - I got the bluebird house up today - in the meadow - quiet and peaceful. I followed all the tips, and got some mealworms from the local pet supply place. I hope to put them out next weekend, but today it's in the low 40's so I don't think I should. Any tips on when the blue boys will be coming through this Iowa region? Becki

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Hi, I just started to get them back in this week, Got two pairs so far, I enjoy them so much each year! I had a bad time with wrens trying to steal there boxes last year,
I put up gourds to distract the wrens from the BB houses and it 'did' help quite a bit so will be doing the same this year if the problem arrises again. I've got 10 BB houses up and usually, At least half of them are used by BB's each year, I'm hoping I will have as much luck with them nesting this year as in past years ....Heres a few photo's of the ones that have just come in, They are not very clear photo's because I was taking them at quite a distance and through the window, The last photo is from last year...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

better view

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

A photo from last year...

Thumbnail by IRIS

Oooh. Pretty photos, IRIS. Sounds like everyone's having pretty good luck so far.

Dax-- here's the Iowa DNR Bluebird page--

http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/bbird.html

They say that the Bluebirds return to Iowa from late February to April.

And here's a page listing all kinds of Bluebird groups in various states and communities.

http://audubon-omaha.org/bbbox/groups.htm

And the most complete set of Bluebird links is found on the Cornell site

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/bluebirds/

This message was edited Mar 14, 2006 8:41 AM

Oh - great!! Thanks so much for the link - and IRIS, your photos are gorgeous - I only hope I can attract a pair - Dax

i have blue bird houses and i see eggs that are blue with spekles but then someithing attacks the nest. Last yr i found a dead one at the bottom on the ground. i have seen a attachment hole that only a blue bird can get throuhg, like a tube , has anyone tried this?
thanks
sue

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

If you live in the country or on the edge. you will probably attract them. They've been scarce since people don't use fence posts anymore. They don't like to nest higher than 5'. I'm slowly seeing a comeback and had my husband build me a house that they prefer. I had two birds last year, but the wren drove them off. In the winter the chickadees were checking it out, but they didn't use it.

I've seen the tube, I think that would be helpful if you have raccoons and such that would raid the nest. Any help just increases their chance for survival.

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Here's one of my many Blue Bird house's. My Grandfather made this one a few weeks before he passed away so it's really special. It is part of a poplar log the he drill the inside of out and a tin roof that fit into the top.

Thumbnail by gldandrews
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That is really neat gldandrews. So sorry about your grandfather. I agree that it's really special. I'm getting a lot of plants and ornaments that are to remember people by. It keeps them closer to you.

Hi - Well, I attended a seminar on feeding birds that I just happened on in Theisens and the speaker said it's already too late for me. He said BlueBirds have already been in this area (Iowa), and so I probably won't see any sticking around - Dang!! Hoping it's not too late - thought I'd ask the experts here - I've got the house facing our meadow, away from the other feeders, animals, etc. and have put mealworms close to the house. I think I've followed the tips - do you think it's too late? I haven't seen a sign of any Blue Birds - If so, I'll just try again next year!! Dax

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I think you have a good chance. We only saw them in the country on a hardly used dirt road and they somehow found their way into town with no housing or mealworms available. I haven't gotten them into the bluebird house yet. They check it out, but the wren has to have ALL 4 houses. I'm just glad to know they aren't dying out. Thank all of you who are interested in making their life easier!

This message was edited Mar 31, 2006 7:36 PM

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Dax, I always say 'Never Give Up!' Sometimes nature can be surprising.. Do you have one house up? And do you check it often?? Sometimes the wrens will chase off the bluebirds to claim the house, Especially if there is only one house, If you check it and find a bunch of small sticks, You'll know that the wren has taken it over and you wont get any bluebirds as long as the wrens stick nest is in there.
BillyP... The wrens can be a real pain in the butt with the BB houses, I've had good luck putting up Gourd houses by the BB houses to distract the wrens, I also get rid of the stick nests whenever they start one and it does help. Heres a photo from last year with one of the wrens using the gourd house instead of bothering the BB houses ..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

gidandrews, Sorry to hear about your grandfather. What a nice bird house he made, I'm sure it's very special to you and I hope it lasts a long time!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Iris! Exellent photo! Do you have a telescopic lens?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Your Welcome, Just a normal camera lens, I was only about 12 feet away from this nest, Didn't seem to bother the family at all, She just kept on bringing food back and feeding the the babies.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It came out really good. In a usual wren house, it's hard to see the babies. You gave us a good glimpse!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Yes it is hard to see them in a normal wren house,
I got more photos of them, I'll post them later because I'm on my way out right now, But, I wil post them later for you ...In love when the cardinals start nesting, I got a nice photo of the nest and babie from last year.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

You'll have to post it. We're on another thread with Scutler who is watching a mama cardinal. We're all watching her thread for developments. It's been exciting to follow along. She's been taking pictures too.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi all! I have two bluebird boxes in my not quite half an acre yard. One is in the back yard and one is in the front. The one in the back yard has a chickadee nest in it. The one in the front yard has recently been taken by a pair of bluebirds. The funny thing is that the most popular house in the past was one my elderly neighbor attached to our mutual electric pole between our yards. It was attached too high and was never taken down and cleaned. It wasn't even an official bb house but they loved it! The electric company made her take it down though a few years ago. I am thinking of adding two more boxes, one in front and back yard on opposing sides. I have occasionally seen tree swallows checking them out too.

Anyway, here is a series of pictures I took two days ago with a new telephoto lens I got this past Christmas from DH. You will be able to appreciate how techhnologically impaired I am by the end of the series of shots. (lol)

At first the male would sit on the cross bar at the top of the house and twitter for his mate to come and check it out.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here he is again calling

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

And more twittering...

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Finally she sails in to look at the house.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

They have quite a discussion..

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

She starts checking the place over.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

She looks at the inside..

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

She comes back out and they talk about the house for a while.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The pictures are great! I can almost hear him calling to her. I'm camera impaired. We are trying our daughters cheap digital camera to get the feel of it. Then she's working on getting her old scanner hooked up to our computer. I'm slowly entering the technology world. But those of you with cameras are already opening up for us!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

He says, "If we don't grab it now the chickadees will get it!"

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.